• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

The histrionics at the Oscars rather back up your views
It's hard to find anything decent out there be it films, hundreds of TV channels and numerous subscription channelsnad just of the whole thing put can still watch Ricky Gervais putting the boot in at his last one hosting.

The criticism of CODA I've read is that it shouldn't have won because it's basically about an able-bodied woman who does her best to ditch the disabled family who are holding her back. Happy ending: she gets rid of them. Very progressive (?).

It's interesting to watch Leslie Nielsen in CREEPSHOW when he played the rich guy who buries Ted Danson up to the neck on a beach so he can watch him drown .. only for Danson's character to return as a water logged zombie and kill him. No laughs to be found in that episode.

I recall laughing at something in that, though not which thing. I think it might have been the image of Danson buried in the the sand up to his neck.

Do you guys remember the 80s movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Who doesn't, it was a good movie. Do you remember the two parking valets who took Cameron's father's Ferrari for a ride? Me neither but they are now getting their own movie: Sam and Victor's Day Off. That all seems rather random.

It joins the line of 'guilt by association'.
A pointless film, asked for by no one, from producers who want to exploit a 'cult' film's popularity.
The writers might have a talent for storytelling but instead of risking a new product, it ties it to a well-known old one.

Do you guys remember the 80s movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Who doesn't, it was a good movie. Do you remember the two parking valets who took Cameron's father's Ferrari for a ride? Me neither but they are now getting their own movie: Sam and Victor's Day Off. That all seems rather random.
Excellent! I remember those guys from that film.
The actors, though... they'd be a bit old. One of them is dead. So I suppose they'd do it with new actors.

Excellent! I remember those guys from that film.
The actors, though... they'd be a bit old. One of them is dead. So I suppose they'd do it with new actors.
It ties Ferris Bueller with Weekend At Bernie's...

The copyright to Winnie the Pooh recently expired. Wasting no time, someone has now made a Winnie the Pooh horror movie: Blood & Honey.

Did you ever watch the Matrix movie and think: "This should have been expressed through dance."?
Luckily your prayers have been heard, as director Danny Boyle is going to make a stage dance interpretation of the movie.
It will be called Free Your Mind and opens in 2023.

Did you ever watch the Matrix movie and think: "This should have been expressed through dance."?
Luckily your prayers have been heard, as director Danny Boyle is going to make a stage dance interpretation of the movie.
I can scarcely contain my indifference.

Lordy! My Existential Entertainment Quota has unexpectedly been completed!
Not since I tried getting a wage rise through interpretive dance have I been stimulated!
Danny Boyle has done some good stuff in the past but this shows a disconnect with "get a feckin' grip!"

Is it April 1st?

Sometimes I think leaks to the media ... er ... announcements are made in order to float an idea, just to see if there's a positive public response.

I have no interest but that is slightly more interesting than turning every movie/band/TV series/podcast/breakfast serial into a fucking musical.

Top Gun 2 has been nominated for 6 academy awards, including Best Picture.

Funny how for so long action/adventure movies rarely got nominated for 'serious' awards - apart from special effects or music.
I can't be bothered to do research - is this just my own erroneous impression?

Top Gun 2 has been nominated for 6 academy awards, including Best Picture.
It's a "Best Picture" in the same way Manos Hands Of Fate is a Best Picture....

Last edited:
l thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was nice to watch a film made by people who evidently remembered that l wanted to be entertained; not harangued, reproved, lectured or converted.

maximus otter
Those sorts of movies are rarely made these days....

Just re-watched the 'modern' remake of The Producers.
I enjoy both versions but the 2005 version makes me laugh more.

Perhaps it's cheaper to re-hash a story you already own, rather than actually risk an original story?

Back