• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Police Find Confinement Room In Abandoned House

paranoid420

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... house.html

A long abandoned house that was slated for demolition had a hidden room discoved by contactors in the basement. They said the doors were reinforced and the windows were unbreakable. It had chains hanging from the ceiling. So why would someone build a torture room in an abandoned farmhouse in a desolate area? Not long after it was reported to police it mysteriously caught fire, in what is being called an arson. I can't think of a reason to build a room like this unless it was to hold someone against their will..

Could be someone's bondage room, although it's a risky way of going about it unless they really didn;t have a cellar or space to use and maybe the risk was part of the fun.

Something similar happened near Halmstad in Sweden. I think they also found some women, who think they might have been held in that house. I can't find the articles right now, but it was probably last year.

paranoid420 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/01/06/toronto-confinement-house.html

A long abandoned house that was slated for demolition had a hidden room discoved by contactors in the basement. They said the doors were reinforced and the windows were unbreakable. It had chains hanging from the ceiling. So why would someone build a torture room in an abandoned farmhouse in a desolate area? Not long after it was reported to police it mysteriously caught fire, in what is being called an arson. I can't think of a reason to build a room like this unless it was to hold someone against their will..
The photos show a most business like and professional looking basement play room. The sort of place where men in black suits might remove their jackets and ties, roll up their white shirt sleeves and engage in a bit of covert water-boarding activity.

It's probably a torture room used by the secret services.
I expect there are rooms like this all over America and Canada.

I am just theorising, of course - in short, I echo what Pietro said.

Couple of points - playing devils advocate:

As far as I know there's no such thing as unbreakable glass; thicker than normal, shatterproof (not synonymous with 'unbreakable') or reinforced, maybe - but not unbreakable. In any case, why have windows on a room if you are intent on concealing its purpose? Why not just brick them up?

Also, there's a lot of sinister being made on the net about the fact that the lock is on the outside of the door - as if this proves the room's purpose was confinement. Rooms the main purpose of which is secure storage of any kind tend to only have locks on the outside simply because there's no point having them on the inside - this is as true if what you're storing is bananas as it might be for anything more disturbing.

And I have to say the door doesn't look or sound particularly remarkable. 'Crafted from layers of lumber'? Like plywood? Like you might find a door made in plenty of other circumstances?

Having said that, even if these are exaggerations that wouldn't stop a room being used for nefarious purposes - after all, more innocent looking venues have been the site of terrible deeds. But waterboarding? Isn't there a whole world of nastiness out there the consideration of which makes the assumption that this is a venue for covert water-boarding just a little precipitate?

Edit: Another observation. The door appears to open outwards from the room. This is not ideal if your object is to prevent someone inside getting out because it means that force applied to the door from inside the room acts directly on the lock rather than on the rebate in the frame of the door, which requires a much more aggressive assault than the mechanism of most locks on their own.

"In any case, why have windows on a room if you are intent on concealing its purpose? Why not just brick them up?"
All the windows were boarded up from the outside...
I think the story is interesting for a few reasons. For one there are not alot of obvious reasons to build a room like that. The idea its just some kinky people chaining each other up i find hard to believe. I would venture 99.9 of those people play in dungeons that might look scary, but are not made to actually imprison anyone. Same as the idea it was a film set, it seems to be too functional when you are just going for illusion.
The idea that government spooks were waterboarding is popular theory here. The fact it was torched while it should have been under lock down by CSI guys in white suits looking for DNA could cause one to be suspicious. It sure looks like someone did not want it found. Im putting my top 3 suspects as 1) serial killer 2) organized crime 3) Government agents of either this country or another.
And my favourite theory was the guy was a werewolf/dr jekyl/ the hulk and those chains were so he could stop himself from killing us when he transformed into a monster.

I suppose the thing that most intrigues me is why people have leapt to the waterboarding conclusion so quickly. If it was the US I might see why it was on everyone's lips (but even so, I'd still think it took a leap of reasoning to reach any firm conclusion) - I suppose I just hadn't realised it was a subject equally to the forefront in Canada.

The use of enforced confinement and/or secret storage is not exactly new - in fact, I'd say that there's a possibility that it's as old as the history of crime itself. We've had many stories related to it in recent times which have absolutely nothing to do with dodgy government agencies.

So why waterboarding?

I'm not going to try and figure out what was going on with that room, however: Wow! that is so darn creepy :twisted:

*Anyone else think thats where the grinning man might hang out?! * ;)

Spookdaddy said:
So why waterboarding?

All those big bottles of water - could they be a clue?

I tend to discount the waterboarding hypothesis, though I can't rule it out entirely.

For one thing, there are no signs of restraints on the 'bench' itself, and there's no mention of restraints / ropes / etc. being found in the room.

Second, even though this was in a basement, the available photos don't demonstrate the room had a drain.

The chains don't make much sense (in relation to simulated drowning techniques), unless there was a 'full immersion' method being applied, and there's no evidence of a tub / tank underneath the chains.

If one wanted to set up a clandestine waterboarding setup, it would be best to use a place with a constant water supply (e.g., a well). It's inefficient to have to carry in all the water.

The 'store-bought' water is presumably safe for drinking. It makes more sense to construe the water jugs as a potable water supply for someone being detained for an extended period.

Mythopoeika said:
Spookdaddy said:
So why waterboarding?

All those big bottles of water - could they be a clue?

Not really, no. Water is such an incredibly basic necessity to so many things that it's existence might be a clue to anything within that (extremely broad) spectrum. Claiming a direct and obvious link to this one thing is like claiming that the presence of oxygen in your loft indicates that someone is surreptitiously producing steel up there.

This was an abandoned house - stands to reason that as such it would not be connected to any services. If that was the case and those using the house required water for any reason - drinking , cooking (cooking meth for that matter - which isn't outside the realms of possibility), cleaning, flushing disconnected toilets, breeding goldfish - they'd have to bring it in. The presence of bottled water in this particular situation might indicate something of a mystery - but in no way does it automatically point to a solution.

Bottled water to me would indicate a survivalists store.

A good secure cellar, with a stout door, keep out any casual looters...and the house is abandoned, why would looters search there?

<goes into attic to check for steel refinery....>

Couldn't it just be a room where two or more consenting adults go about their business behind locked doors?

Obviously we think alike Ravenstone, although the thread does not seem to be going in that direction. :lol:

But why have a fetish room in an abandoned house? :?

Also, to quote one of the comments under the article: "House was abandoned, left tenantless about 5-6 years by Transport Canda (owners since March '72) and at last inspection, November 2011, room did not exist."

It also doesn't mention how/why the house was burnt down, all very odd!

But why have a fetish room in an abandoned house? Confused

No neighbours to hear anything, and no chance of rescue as you hang there trussed up like a turkey while biting on the rubber ball and wondering how long before the master/mistress returns, or what happens if they don;t, all abandoned and helpless in the middle of nowhere. :lol:

The small risk of discovery, like from an inspection of the property, could also be an added thrill.

We live in a world where people pay to get kidnapped, to experience the thrill in a safe situation.

Sounds like a perfect room for that purpose.

And there's always the chance they just missed it searching last time.

Or the abandoned workings of another Fritzl who had to move house?

"cooking (cooking meth for that matter - which isn't outside the realms of possibility)"

Its also not beyond the realm of possibilty that the guys who control the meth trade would chain up a guy in a room and force him to cook it. I am not sure if you need power to run a meth lab or what, i would think you would.

paranoid420 said:
...I am not sure if you need power to run a meth lab or what, i would think you would.

Some cooks use hotplates and microwaves but I'm not sure that they are essential or that their purpose cannot be replicated from a portable gas source. Also, portable generators come pretty small and relatively quiet these days.

Serial killers and rapists often construct fairly elaborate dungeons to play in.

An abandoned house is a possible ideal location, because one might escape connection with the premises.

But it is also possible that two or more practicioners of the dolorous arts(that's BDSM for you vanillas) built a wee playpen for some fun.

Somehow, I can't see the Canadian Secret Service operating a torture chamber-and if they did, wouldn't they have access to many vacant buildings? Governments usually do.

I'd say it was more likely to be some fiend getting ready to do a few schoolgirls to death, or even someone who really was having a private fantasy.

I'm sure the very efficient Horsemen have searched for clandestine graves.

There are an appalling number of mobile torture chambers in use by horrid people, built into vans. A collegue of mine stumbled into one in Baltimore while on patrol, when a victim got ,loose and went running through Fell's Point(a popular entertainment district)naked as an egg and screaming her head off.

There are enough horrors in our world that Cthulhu is really not needed.

krakenten said:
Serial killers and rapists often construct fairly elaborate dungeons to play in.

An abandoned house is a possible ideal location, because one might escape connection with the premises.

But it is also possible that two or more practicioners of the dolorous arts(that's BDSM for you vanillas) built a wee playpen for some fun.

Somehow, I can't see the Canadian Secret Service operating a torture chamber-and if they did, wouldn't they have access to many vacant buildings? Governments usually do.

I'd say it was more likely to be some fiend getting ready to do a few schoolgirls to death, or even someone who really was having a private fantasy.

I'm sure the very efficient Horsemen have searched for clandestine graves.

There are an appalling number of mobile torture chambers in use by horrid people, built into vans. A collegue of mine stumbled into one in Baltimore while on patrol, when a victim got ,loose and went running through Fell's Point(a popular entertainment district)naked as an egg and screaming her head off.

There are enough horrors in our world that Cthulhu is really not needed.

Real life serial killers are far more terifying than anything in fiction. Humans are monsters.

Some people are monsters, not very many.

It should be remembered that until recently BDSM was strictly against Canadian law. A popular magazine that had a spread of BDSM illustrations had to be manually censored with felt tips to enter Canada.

The Nanny State knows best, after all.

No record of that room? Hmmmmmmm. Many possibilities there.

There is also the possibility that the room was built by someone who never found a partner. Or it was used by someone who died, moved or lost interest.

An apartment dweller, with no place for a dungeon?

Some Luminol might reveal bloodstains. Or not.

I'd bet on a fairly harmless history-but, you never can tell, can you?

Back