• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Politics Of The Imagination: The Life, Work And Ideas Of Charles Fort

A

Anonymous

''Politics of the Imagination: The Life, Work and Ideas of Charles Fort'' -- anyone read this, or have any comments on it? Don't want to fork out for it (Student!) unless I know a little about it beyond the blub!

Ian

Lucid, in depth and addictive

I have been waiting for some one to post about this amazing book. I'm only half through it(got to read school books for now...) but I am blown away by Bennet's writing style and deep insight into the philosophy of C.H.F. I may be setting my self up for crucifiction here, but at times I even thought this book put Fort's thoughts into words than he did!

Especially for a student, as I am, planning to ever attempt writing a paper on Fort, Forteanism or Forteana, this book is crucial. This guy really did his homework, and we can all reap the benefit. Comparisons to Kafka, Thurbur, Kuhn and others help place Fort in an academic context, (something which no academic seems interested in...) as well as deep inspections of Fort's subtle (or not) antaganism of science ("imagination control"), and the elucidation of how much of our current "entertainment state" Fort predicted.

Once again, I've been surprised that I haven't found more posts about this book. I would encourage anyone interested to pursue it. And please when you do(or if you already have) start a thread!

Re: Lucid, in depth and addictive

Amishaman said:
Once again, I've been surprised that I haven't found more posts about this book. I would encourage anyone interested to pursue it. And please when you do(or if you already have) start a thread!
No no no! Post about it on this thread.

(People making extra work for Mods will be shot - and then banned, for good measure! :mad: )

Re: Lucid, in depth and addictive

Amishaman said:
I am blown away by Bennet's writing style and deep insight into the philosophy of C.H.F. I may be setting my self up for crucifiction here, but at times I even thought this book put Fort's thoughts into words than he did!

Hmm..I'll have to disagree there. No one will disagree that Fort has a very unique and often-difficult style, but it is true that we can't abandon or ignore Fort's works because his style challenges. A difficult and violeny literary style like Forts suits well the tone and nature of his writing; Fort was breaking down the scientific and intellectual paradigms of his time, and, in a wider context, overthrowing and undermining forever all systems, organisations and dogmas..for a task like this, a light literary touch will not do. Fort's writing style reminds me a lot of Nietzsches: highly individual, eminently quotable, by turns violent and poetic, and completely unforgettable. Whilst other writers and stylists (like Bennet) may well present and discuss Fort's ideas in a clearer style, they do lose something of the 'essence of Fort'. In philosophy (my degree) we study textbooks and commentaries, but are always told to read the original texts; you can't seperate the style from the substance.

Ian

(i knew i was setting myself up for that.)
Whilst other writers and stylists (like Bennet) may well present and discuss Fort's ideas in a clearer style, they do lose something of the 'essence of Fort'.
Your point is well taken. Still, the world has needed an introduction to the profound implications hidden in the works of C.H.F. and I think Bennet's work is it.

Most people don't have the patience to wade throught all the forteana to get to the 'forteanism'.

Amishaman said:
[T]he world has needed an introduction to the profound implications hidden in the works of C.H.F. and I think Bennet's work is it.

Most people don't have the patience to wade throught all the forteana to get to the 'forteanism'.

Both very true. Whilst Fort is profound, he is very different to anything most people have read or thought, and that can put people off. I know whenever I encourage someone to read Fort (say, BOTD), I *order* them to read the introduction provided, which is why I think the John Brown versions are excellent. Bob Rickard's intro completely understands and presents the stylism, ideas and concepts of Fort. That's why I admire Bob Rickard so much: he can give a complete essence of Fort, covering his style, content, his implications.

Ok, maybe I change my views a bit: Fort should not be brought to you; you should go to him. If you go straight to him, you may not understand or appreciate what is being said. Begin with an introduction (!!) and then move onto Fort.

Ian

Back