• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Poltergeist Pint?!?

paulsamotis

Devoted Cultist
This experience seems a little mundane compared to some in this section (stick-men! Eek!) but it did rattle me somewhat. It's taken me few days to post as I've been going through all the obvious explanations with friends, and discounting them.

Last Saturday evening I was having a quiet pint in a pub in town, reading an old copy of FT ("The Cornubia", for fellow Bristolians - a cracking pub). I was sitting on a stool, my pint and peanuts on a shelf that runs down the right hand wall as you enter. Having settled down with my third (and final) pint, I was reading the FT when I was suddenly aware of my still full glass tottering on the edge of the shelf; I managed to grab it before it fell, spilling only a little. My immediate response was of course to glance around to see if anyone had knocked the glass, or even just walked past at that time, but the handfull of people in the pub were all seated. Thinking it a little odd, I checked the surface of the counter (dry) and pushed the still almost full pint glass back against the wall (The shelf is about 10 inches wide), so such an "accident" shouldn't happen again.

Five minutes later it did. This time I happened to be reading the top of a page and, over the top of the magazine, saw the glass move from the wall, across the counter and off the end in one swift smooth movement. I was drenched and looked down to see where the glass had landed. It was over to my left, in the main walkway of the pub, which convinced me it had left the shelf at a fair rate. I looked around to see if anyone had witnessed this, but everyone seemed wrapped up in their own conversations. I decided against asking anyone directly as I was feelling a little foolish with the best part of a pint of cider down my shorts. I beat a swift retreat, feeling quite spooked.

There are several explanations I know, but nobody was moving around, the shelf was horizontal, stable and dry (to begin with anyway) and neither of that night's previous pints, nor any of the others I've drank in that same position over the months, have seen fit to move so swiftly off the surface and across my lap. I've seen empty pint glasses look a little slippy on wet tables, but this one moved very deliberately off the end...

Anyone else experienced rogue pint behaviour?

Yikes! :shock:

I work in a bar, and although I've seen pints 'float' about on a wet bar/tables, I've never seen it happen on a dry one! That would have freaked me out big style!

Maybe it was the universe's way of telling you you'd had quite enough! ;)

weird...

reminds me of that story about the pub where you could stick beers on the wall.... I think it was in FT quite a few years ago..

was there any loud bassy music that might have vibrated it off the shelf?

It's a relatively quiet CAMRA award winning real ale pub, so not the place for loud music; it's not on a slope either, nor near a main road. I was in there again tonight with a mate, pointing out where it happened, still none the wiser. :confused:

Hmmm...how to put this delicately?

Were you drunk? :nonplus:

Reason I ask is, you develop tunnel vision as you imbibe, so if you were a little soused you might not have seen (for example) some joker trying to slide your glass off the shelf.

Just a thought!

I visited the Cornubia while on a weekend visit to Bristol - great pub and definitely has potential for a ghost or two.

krobone said:

Reason I ask is, you develop tunnel vision as you imbibe, so if you were a little soused you might not have seen (for example) some joker trying to slide your glass off the shelf.

Just a thought!

At three pints, most people are still sober enough to know what's happening. Unless it was scrumpy...

Mythopoeika said:
krobone said:

Just a thought!

At three pints, most people are still sober enough to know what's happening. Unless it was scrumpy...

Well, I didn't mean stinking drunk. You can get the tunnel vision effect long before you're plastered.

Besides, for some people 3 pints is a lot to drink! :_pished:

The Cornubia certainly is a splendid pub. Best pint of Nailmakers I know :). And certainly has plenty of ghost potential: it's in a very old part of the city, dating back to the 12th century - the only reason there's so much concrete there is that the Blitz wiped out most of the historic stuff :(. Lots of Templar connections, they built the original Temple Church behind the pub, and there was a leper colony run by them at Temple Meads (very little changes in some ways ;)).

Anyway, the only mundane thing I can think of in this case is that (apart from the fire station being very near), the water board are replacing the main storm drain just a little further down Victoria Street, and doing a lot of tunnelling (hence the closed road at the bottom). Would they be doing so at that time of night, though?

Not even slightly drunk, honest- two pints of Butcombe Bitter. The last pint, (whilst admitedly a pint of "Black Rat" scrumpy that I fancied as a rare change from ale) remained virtually untouched as it ended up on the floor. The last pint was ordered at about 10.30pm, so I can't imagine any roadworks going on....
I shall now of course, for Fortean research, have to drink several more pints in the Cornubia over the coming weeks!
:_pished: :_pished: :_pished:

Wish I was with you ...

... in the cause of research, natch'!

Saw a guy with a T-shirt which read

"Donations accepted for Alcohol Research" :D

Keeping all details in sight

We have to allow that psf must have put his previous two pints in about the same place on exactly the same shelf. The shelf would not suddenly somehow *become* unable to support a third pint.

Someone invisible either is worried about your temperence, or envies you your drink.

(I used to be Hungry Joe. The re-doing of the board made it impossible to log in as me. Then I found two other folks took the name (one without a space, one with an underscore) and decided to go in a different direction. A fuzzy lord is a domestic cat (not to be confused with a domesticated cat, which term is an oxymoron).)

my sisters pub was built as a girls grammar school in 1780 something and there's plenty to spook you none more so than going down into the cellar to turn on the gas for the coke / lemonade guns to find that they've been turned off when you return to the bar. my father and other members of staff have had this too over the years along with a heavy feeling of 'being watched' and the sound of foot steps down there.

shadows move behind frosted glass and the figure of a monk is often seen on cctv in the snooker lounge hanging around. footsteps on the roof of the establishment where a supposed girl threw herself to her death to escape the cold of being locked out as a prank. creepy as heck at times that place is.

wristtattoo said:
shadows move behind frosted glass and the figure of a monk is often seen on cctv in the snooker lounge hanging around

sorry, do you mean a full apparition? i would love to see that! has the pub been investigated?

And more to the point, where is it? I could do with a good excuse to visit a nice old-fashioned haunted pub.

The Exchange Coach House Inn of Brigg, Lincolnshire - England.

The apparition has been seen on cctv, i distinctly remember being stood behind a guy at the bar as he looked up to the monitor and said 'is that what i think it is' and the establishment owner saying 'yeah yeah' like it happens all the time to him. Cold spots are abound, sudden drafts etc. He went to the snooker room to check it out more or less straight after and there wasn't a 'soul' there.

Used to scare the heck out of me as a teenager that place.

http://www.brigglife.co.uk - might have some paranormal investigations on the place written up in there website.

paulsamfreya said:
Not even slightly drunk, honest- two pints of Butcombe Bitter.

I am in Nova Scotia so I have never heard of this type of beer but are you saying there is a brand called Butcombe, which I am assuming is pronounced like BUTT COMB?

Wow, that is just dripping with jokes!

I *think* it would be more like butt-cum, which is just as amusing if not more so. ;)

I am in Nova Scotia so I have never heard of this type of beer but are you saying there is a brand called Butcombe, which I am assuming is pronounced like BUTT COMB?

It is indeed pronounced "butt-cum"; a friend of my wife refused to go to the bar at another pub as she couldn't bring herself to ask for a half pint of it for my wife!

Named after the village of the same name, south of Bristol, where the beer was originally brewed. Combe is I believe Old English for "valley", as is the Welsh "Cwm". Not sure about the "but" though!

Incidently there is another great pub in Bristol called "The Nova Scotia"!

paulsamfreya said:
Combe is I believe Old English for "valley", as is the Welsh "Cwm". Not sure about the "but" though!
Combe and Cwm can also be pronounced Coom. (Some place names include 'Coombe', I think.)

But simply means 'end'. (eg: Cigarette butt.) So Butcombe was probably 'End of the Valley'. Butt also means 'target' - you 'aim' at a 'target' to achieve an 'end'.

Another variant of But should not be hard to fathom! 8)

ohhhhhh. So if someone's the butt of a joke it's because they are the target rather than, well, an arse?

mossy_sloth said:
ohhhhhh. So if someone's the butt of a joke it's because they are the target rather than, well, an arse?
You're probably right - never thought of that! :D

Mild earthquake? And it's aftershock? Now, wait, don't scoff that you would have felt it or someone else might have. I've experienced an earthquake that other people haven't so it's not too farfetched. What happened is, I used to live in an apartment building that a very simple design. Two apartments on the left and two apartments on the right of the stairs on each of two floors. I was home alone one afternoon and felt something...odd. Almost like vertigo but I was sitting down. Both of my cats reacted so I knew it wasn't just me. I went out into the hallway and a few of my neighbors said, no they didn't feel anything. But another neighbor said he did! Come to find out, there had been an earthquake in Pennsylvania and we felt the faint trmeor here in Michigan! We weren't teh only ones who felt it either. I called my husband at work and he said no, he diodn't feel anything but some coworkers did. So I guess it's possible paulsamfreya experienced an earthquake and aftershock.

Just a rather sad update to this tale. If anyone, remembering this thread, was to consider visiting the Cornubia, I'm afraid in July of this year it was abruptly closed down. A skip then appeared outside and various parts of the pub were being ripped out. To date it still remains closed, its future uncertain.

Maybe if it does re-open (and I pray it does, it was the best pub in Bristol!) any poltergeist activity will really kick off in protest!

[url=http://www.camrabristol.org.uk/]http://www.camrabristol.org.uk/

this reminds me of a friend i used drink with (scratch that, not friend, just a person), his nickname was SPILLAGE (i have no idea of his real name), he didnt need to be drunk, people werent that keen to sit near him surprisngly. maybe he was possessed, or followed by a poltergeist, of just not that sure what that hole in his head was for?

You mean 'Spillage' who used to frequent the FTMB?

i very much doubt it, this guys nickname was well and truly earned!

Back