• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Poltergeists

Females growing up have tremendous hormonal power and poltergeists feel like this is a calling card to come and play.

Since it seems this is a girl thing, it does not involve males.

It seems some females are not comfortable with their body changes, and this is what empowers the poltergeist.

Usually when females gain confidence, all goes back to normal.

Females growing up have tremendous hormonal power and poltergeists feel like this is a calling card to come and play.

It seems some females are not comfortable with their body changes, and this is what empowers the poltergeist.

Hang on, you can't blame this on women! There are MASSES of cases of poltergeists being linked to young boys!

CharlieBrown, I've just run all over the house twice looking for this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poltergeis..._27:Alan+Gauld&s=books&sr=1-2&text=Alan+Gauld
but (in true fortean style) it's nowhere to be found. Gauld and Cornell categorised a huge heap of cases and give some basic statistics about what features are most common etc. It's an excellent book if you're interested. So I was going to give you the stats for cases being associated with a male / female / neither particularly. But sadly I am unable to do so :) though maybe someone else with the book can. I must say though in my own gathering / reading of cases from newspapers I don't think there's an overwhelming connection with girls. Maybe it's just that many of the most famous / notorious cases feature girls (so you may be onto something in terms of degree). But also i have noticed that in many cases (and who can say if any case is true and we are all deluding ourselves) - once Important Educated People run out of explanations, they generally blame the young servant girl for hoaxing it (then they send her away and q.e.d the phenomena stop - yeah well she must have been hoaxing it then etc.)

I think it's my favourite fortean phenomenon :)

Holy cow is this ridiculous.
Citations, please.

I only know what I have seen.

One of my daughters was like Peter Pan who never wanted to grow up.

This growing up conflict let a poltergeist into our home bringing rattling pictures, screws coming out of furniture, battery toys starting on their own, and smoke alarms going off, to name a few of the effects.

We all survived and this daughter today is a very successful middle age person.

Last edited:
The idea is not new, iirc. Here is a whole American Dad episode based on it, "Poltergasm" 'nuff said :cool:
It has been more broadly associated with adolescents going through puberty; the idea being that a repressed blossoming sexuality can take on a life of its own, and become a poltergeist. Unintentional sex magic creating a physically manifesting thought form, would be how an occultist would describe it.

And in the literature:
https://www.google.com/search?q="poltergeists"+"girl"+puberty&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS893US894&source=lnms&tbm=bks&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjYmMvarsDuAhV7GDQIHUpUDJkQ_AUoAXoECAgQCw&biw=1163&bih=554

Last edited:
Hang on, you can't blame this on women! There are MASSES of cases of poltergeists being linked to young boys!
First that thing with the snake and the apple that got us kicked out by the landlord... Then that "toilet seat down" tyranny.. The endless "honey do" lists.. And now poltergeists??
Rise up from your man caves mates!! Stop and walk away from that minivan!! Spray on that Axe in a thick mist and put the Speedos or that spiked codpiece on!! :badge:

Last edited:

This growing up conflict let a poltergeist into our home bringing rattling pictures, screws coming out of furniture, battery toys starting on their own, and smoke alarms going off, to name a few of the effects.

I would caution that one personal example is not a fair basis to make a VERY sweeping generalization loaded with culturally-derived assumptions.

From what I've gleaned across the board, from historical to recent, poltergeist episodes could be centered around pre-pubescent girls but this concept never been clearly elucidated and CERTAINLY never has been established. In fact, some researchers have suggested the entire troubled family contributed (in whatever way - normal or paranormal).

Sharon Hill,

I respect yours and everyone’s opinion.

Thanks for your input on a paranormal subject.

Poltergiests: I don’t know what they are, I don’t even know what I think of them with precision or consistency. Like Gattino, I think the phenomenon has more than one cause, with multiple contributing causes in most cases. Also, I suspect that the term poltergeist is used to describe several different types of occurrences. Here are my poltergeist experiences, from when I was a teenager. However, I have always viewed this to be my spinster aunt’s poltergeist, not mine. The disturbances started before my time and continued long after I had moved away.

I was raised in a very troubled extended family, where my mother and her children and 2 of her sisters (one with children) all lived in separate apartments on the same small city lot. We were poverty-level, and lived in a closed-minded, small, Eastern European community near Chicago in which conformity and envy were big behavioral drivers. There was a lot of family tension that continued for 3 generations.

From the 1930s to the 1990s, 3 generations of my extended family had intermittent poltergeist-like experiences at that address. During all that time, when poltergiest occurrences were worse than usual, various catholic priests were called in to bless the house. After the blessing, things would settle down for a few months or years before starting up again. I witnessed a few of these poltergeist events; once in the presence of my spinster aunt who later denied the whole thing – but called in the priest once again. BTW, nobody called it a poltergeist; I think nobody even knew the term.

A minor type of event which was puzzling or just annoying was a framed photo of my maternal grandmother which would be found on the floor several feet from the wall on which it hung – multiple times. The hooks, hanging wire, and nail in the wall were always intact. Other framed photos did not fall off the wall. A cousin suggested that the specific spot where my grandmother’s photo was hung was susceptible to vibrations from heavy traffic in the road. So, when my grandmother’s photo was moved to a different wall, it continued to be found on the floor the next morning. I remember three different hanging spots. Wherever it was hung, it was the only photo that kept being dislodged. (It was that grandmother whose last will and testament was suppressed from 1959 – the year of her death – to 1981, when it was completely dismissed legally, driven by the spinster aunt who took the whole inheritance and who was most troubled by the poltergeist from 1959 until the 1990s.)

Other minor events were very loud bangs inside the house, footsteps in the apartment when I was the only one home, and doors shutting or opening by themselves. At the time, I explained away these events as not really happening, not really important, or one of my cousins playing some kind of joke on me. I was in high school and did not have time for this shit.

The event which most scared me was witnessed by my spinster aunt in the room with me, and she was really scared as well. It was 1972; I was in high school. She and I were in an upstairs apartment’s kitchen, seated at the table with the kitchen lights on. It was about 11 pm, and we were alone in the entire building, waiting up for her nephew, my cousin. The kitchen door to the interior stairs was clear glass on the top half, with a thin lacy curtain over the glass on the kitchen side (not the hall side). My aunt and I heard the downstairs’ door to the outside open and shut, then footsteps coming up the stairs to the kitchen. We both thought it was the cousin whom we were waiting for. Then, there was heavy knocking on the kitchen door. Banging, violently enough to make the curtains and the door shake. My aunt shouted to my cousin to stop playing around, but the banging continued.

This went on for about 10 seconds, which seemed like hours. My aunt commanded me to get up and see who was playing around by lifting up the curtains and looking through the glass pane. (why me? I remember thinking at the time). The banging was continuing all this time, and I could see the door actually vibrating from the force of the bangs.

I got up, very unwillingly, lifted up the curtain and looked through the glass to see that nobody was on the other side. I could see the floor on the other side of the door, and the walls in the small 4x5 foot hallway, and the top of the stairs. It was completely empty. But the banging was continuing and I could see and now feel the door vibrating.

I was scared witless. When I told my aunt, she said that was nonsense, it must be my cousin, for me to look again, and so on. I told her again that nobody was there, and she told me to lock the door latch and ignore the whole thing! I locked the latch and scampered back away from the door. After more bangs, we once again heard footsteps going downstairs, and the downstairs door to the outside opening and closing.

My aunt then commanded me (yes there were a lot of commands at that time in my life) to forget the whole thing and stated it must have been my cousin playing a prank on us.

I assure you that I have not made this up or exaggerated. It remains one of the most unusual experiences of my life. It has given me a data point in my quest for the unified field theory of ontology :)

During a noisy argument with one of my teenage sons a picture flew off the wall next to him. We calmed down and had a nice cup of tea.

@escargot: what a fascinating experience! I for one believe you. A question if you don’t mind. Do you remember, jut before the picture flew off the wall, feeling a change in the air pressure or temperature or anything? I remember something like that just before the poltergeist experience, but I can’t describe it very well. It was like a sudden drop in air pressure a few seconds before the poltergeist opened the downstairs door.

Also, could you tell us how the picture flew off the wall? Did it rise up first and then come down? What was your immediate emotional reaction? Your son’s reaction?

During a noisy argument with one of my teenage sons a picture flew off the wall next to him. We calmed down and had a nice cup of tea.
Good to know a cup of tea in the early stages of a poltergeist outbreak can forestall lots of unpleasant household upset, tabloid attention and dramatic exorcisms.

@escargot: what a fascinating experience! I for one believe you. A question if you don’t mind. Do you remember, jut before the picture flew off the wall, feeling a change in the air pressure or temperature or anything? I remember something like that just before the poltergeist experience, but I can’t describe it very well. It was like a sudden drop in air pressure a few seconds before the poltergeist opened the downstairs door.

Also, could you tell us how the picture flew off the wall? Did it rise up first and then come down? What was your immediate emotional reaction? Your son’s reaction?

It's all written down on'ere somewhere.

At the time Lad was rather troubled because, I later discovered, he had been worrying about coming out to his father and me.
Dunno why he'd need to feel concerned about this as I for one was a truly right-on parent, so laid-back I had dogshit in my hair.

Anyway...

Lad was standing beside the front door and I was nearly 20 feet away in the kitchen doorway. We were shouting at each other, which was very uncharacteristic indeed as we normally got on well.

Suddenly the picture on the wall beside his right ear lifted up off the nail and flew in an arc past his face to the floor, beside his left foot.

I pointed and shouted 'LOOK what you've made me do NOW!' although I actually had no clue how it had happened.

We both stared at it for a bit and then went off to the kitchen together for a nice cup of tea. After that we stopped bickering and a few days later Lad came out to his father and me and all was well.

When this happened there was no warning at all. The only strange thing was that Lad and I were rowing which as I mentioned was most unusual.

It's all written down on'ere somewhere.

At the time Lad was rather troubled because, I later discovered, he had been worrying about coming out to his father and me.
Dunno why he'd need to feel concerned about this as I for one was a truly right-on parent, so laid-back I had dogshit in my hair.

Anyway...

Lad was standing beside the front door and I was nearly 20 feet away in the kitchen doorway. We were shouting at each other, which was very uncharacteristic indeed as we normally got on well.

Suddenly the picture on the wall beside his right ear lifted up off the nail and flew in an arc past his face to the floor, beside his left foot.

I pointed and shouted 'LOOK what you've made me do NOW!' although I actually had no clue how it had happened.

We both stared at it for a bit and then went off to the kitchen together for a nice cup of tea. After that we stopped bickering and a few days later Lad came out to his father and me and all was well.

When this happened there was no warning at all. The only strange thing was that Lad and I were rowing which as I mentioned was most unusual.

@escargot: thanks for the quick response. I am clueless about how this stuff happens, or why. I suspect that emotional tensions (the unpleasant kinds, not the pleasant ones) are a key ingredient for many poltergeist experiences. Its so hard to put all the potential pieces together to make a coherent whole.

Also, I think your children are lucky to have you as their mother.

pointed and shouted 'LOOK what you've made me do NOW!' although I actually had no clue how it had happened.
If that's not a truly "mom" style response, I don't know what is. :evil:

No, we don't. Our feeble hormones can't keep up.
We've noticed. That's why most men can't run a vacuum cleaner or do the laundry. :p

How to think about poltergeists (or any other weird topic with no scientific consensus): my thoughts with no citations. :) (although the history and philosophy of science would be a wonderful source of citations for critical thinking)

Conclusions are a result of known and unknown assumptions, cultural biases, beliefs, facts, interpretations, mistakes, and reasoning. Every person has a differing set of these factors to bring to the specific problem. These factors exist in all hypothesis and theory-making, from traditional academic communities to Forteana.

Over time, one person’s conclusion (primary source) becomes another’s starting point, frequently with misinterpretations and mistakes accumulating. When this second person communicates his thoughts (secondary source), the content of the communication becomes a starting point for a third person, and so on. Rinse and repeat. I have seen this so pervasively in several academic disciplines, as well in the world of the weird, that I have come to the conclusion it is part of human sense-making.

Very few of us – even in traditional academe – are steadfastly rigorous in verifying primary sources and what those sources have to say. The bigger the name in a field, the more others are in awe of him or her, and the more apt people are to accept what that big name claims uncritically, at least for a time (Hans Eysenck, anyone?). In this way, a second generation of researchers gets busy promulgating their own research and conclusions, based partly on the primary source’s conclusions, which may contain errors (misinterpretations and mistakes).

To state that the scientific method is self-correcting is true, kinda sorta, but it is an aspirational statement, rather than a prediction for an outcome in a stated period of time. In other words, for any specific topic of inquiry at a specific time, we can’t assume that previous conclusions have already been corrected or verified by the time we read about them. Any errors in the conclusions may take decades to acknowledge and address. If that topic is popularly being examined, then different generations of researchers may unwittingly (or so I hope) repeat the error. I think this occurs frequently in the social sciences.

I have not read about poltergeists much, or from different authors, and so cannot say that a current belief about poltergeists (that they are typically centered around a pubescent girl) is based on multiple primary sources which agree in their findings, or if one or a few primary sources are repeated ad infinitum and so the conclusion is viewed as being based in more instances than actually is the case.

That poltergeists are usually centered around pubescent girls is my vague understanding of the topic. I accept that, for my low level of interest in poltergeists, with the internal awareness that it may not be the case at all! I would hate to reject an idea (that female pubescents are the main source of poltergeists) just for the sake of political correctness.

My niece has has another "experience", they are leaving the pub and she was helping to clean up the flat where her eldest son rented with his partner and their baby. She had found a necklace on the window-sill and gave it to him to take to the new house .She carried on cleaning, moved something else off the sill and was halfway through vaccing when the vac' went off. She thought she must have pulled the plug from the socket...turned out the wall switch had moved upwards to "off" .After a while her son came back..it .didn't belong to partner. It had been there when they moved in. That room was their bedroom where they had noticed a few strange things... (Please...do not go there ! ) My sister helped when they moved IN to there (old pub with reputation for hauntings apparently). She had sat on the bed with his partner and baby , both women distinctly heard a sound like a man's cough (deep) and of someone clearing his throat. VERY loud and seemingly right in the air in front of them. They are glad to have moved out I think.

Just to add she placed the necklace back where it had been originally .

That room was their bedroom where they had noticed a few strange things... (Please...do not go there ! )

Yes, we certainly would like to go there, please! :chuckle:

Reactions: Ger
Maybe the fights between my older daughter as child and my wife could be in the realm of conflicting Karma.

I think my older daughter changed her Karma and finally got with the program of doing right.

Back