• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pop Culture Conventions

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Having just arrived home from one of these, I can safely say I am glad to have survived! All these people dressed up as their favourite characters (the man dressed as Spiderman should not dress in a form fitting outfit!) kept waving their swords about (no, that is not a euphemism, I might add, knowing how the minds of some people work!) and almost impaling all and sundry. Managed to pick up a few Stargate DVDs and a Star Trek model before the "fashionistas" (there was a costume parade later) gave me the creeps and I had to leave.

Anyone else attend these?

Had my photo taken with a Ghostbuster in full get-up in the summer. He was going to the London Comicon on the train and sportingly posed with whoever asked him, first teaching them to point and say 'We're ready to believe YOU!'

Had my photo taken with a Ghostbuster in full get-up in the summer. He was going to the London Comicon on the train and sportingly posed with whoever asked him, first teaching them to point and say 'We're ready to believe YOU!'

Did anyone say "He slimed me..."?

What! The weapons weren't "peace-bonded"? Contact the organisers and read them the riot act.

Having just arrived home from one of these, I can safely say I am glad to have survived! All these people dressed up as their favourite characters (the man dressed as Spiderman should not dress in a form fitting outfit!) kept waving their swords about (no, that is not a euphemism, I might add, knowing how the minds of some people work!) and almost impaling all and sundry. Managed to pick up a few Stargate DVDs and a Star Trek model before the "fashionistas" (there was a costume parade later) gave me the creeps and I had to leave.

Did they smell or is that an urban myth?

I've always wanted to go to a Comicon nerdfest type event, the closest I've got was a few months back which was epic as two local towns were involved to recreate the WW2 era, actual steam trains, air raid sirens, hundreds of people in costume, the works .. and I was dressed in a full vintage (not reproduction) GI outfit with accessories, I had people asking to take my photo and pose with them but I didn't attempt an American accent .. loved it and I'll definitely be doing it again next year ..

Last edited:
How the Yanks do conventions presented by Bruce Campbell:

(Quake42, check out the Xena freak!)

I went to a Star Wars convention at the local university once. It was organised by the local Star Wars club, who do a lot of charity work. It was packed.

In a dusty side room were various celebrities sitting behind trestle tables including Dave Prouse, Warwick Davis and Davros. Warwick Davis seemed very cheerful but the rest of them looked pretty glum.

I remember feeling quite sorry for one young lady from Babylon 5, who was sitting there with her P.A and getting zero traffic. They were both drinking coffee from plastic cups and looking faintly embarrased.

I went to a Star Wars convention at the local university once. It was organised by the local Star Wars club, who do a lot of charity work. It was packed.

In a dusty side room were various celebrities sitting behind trestle tables including Dave Prouse, Warwick Davis and Davros. Warwick Davis seemed very cheerful but the rest of them looked pretty glum.

I remember feeling quite sorry for one young lady from Babylon 5, who was sitting there with her P.A and getting zero traffic. They were both drinking coffee from plastic cups and looking faintly embarrased.

I don't deserve or expect any forgiveness for this one from any hardcore Star Wars fans ...

You remember that Vader A4 glossy print that was in the kids bedroom in the film Poltergeist? .. that wasn't just a prop, it was a real print. I got one in the late 70's signed to me personally by David Prowse dressed in full Vader outfit at Hamley's toy store in Birmingham. I sort of looked after it, then puberty happened etc until a couple of years ago when I decided to clean it. I was pissed up. I wiped off David's words to me with kitchen roll and Mr Muscle spray .. you'd think ink would have set after over 30 years :( ..

I don't deserve or expect any forgiveness for this one from any hardcore Star Wars fans ...

You remember that Vader A4 glossy print that was in the kids bedroom in the film Poltergeist? .. that wasn't just a prop, it was a real print. I got one in the late 70's signed to me personally by David Prowse dressed in full Vader outfit at Hamley's toy store in Birmingham. I sort of looked after it, then puberty happened etc until a couple of years ago when I decided to clean it. I was pissed up. I wiped off David's words to me with kitchen roll and Mr Muscle spray .. you'd think ink would have set after over 30 years :( ..
WHAT?

I went to a comics convention once, and it was sparsely attended, so much so that guest of honour Grant Morrison was sitting alone at a table with nobody talking to him for all the time I was there. I should have gone up and commended him on Animal Man, felt a bit guilty, though nobody else was, apparently.

Never heard of Animal Man...

...does quick Google search...

...cheap knock off of Spider Man it would seem...

Never heard of Animal Man...

...does quick Google search...

...cheap knock off of Spider Man it would seem...

He might have started off that way, but Morrison took the character in groundbreaking and mindbending directions. It really was a great run, and I (whisper it) prefer it to his pretentious stuff like The Invisibles any day. The Wile E. Coyote issue was one of the weirdest mainstream comics ever.

.. but Hong Kong Fooey is quicker than the human eye and No. 1 super guy? ... I feel you are invading my personal chakra in my time and need to go to my safe space right now.

Back