• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Posh Cow, Camilla Cow & Kylie Cow

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
So this is the sort of paperwork that farmers are complaining about!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_710706.html?menu=news.quirkies

Madonna becomes a moo-vie success
Posh is a cow and so is Camilla, Madonna and Kylie, according to a new survey that shows farmers are naming their cattle after celebrities.
The National Farmers' Union study, which interviewed 200 farmers in England and Wales, finds that rather than using traditional names farmers are naming their herd after stars of pop, film, sports and royalty.
Beckham has replaced Buttercup, Denzel has trampled on Daisy and Madonna is more likely to moo than Marigold.
The poll finds a diverse range of names including the old favourites like Daisy or Marigold, but it also throws up a crop of "cool" new names, with animals christened after celebrities including Beckham, Bergkamp, Brooklyn, Camilla, Denzel, Kylie and Posh.
More than 60% of farmers questioned confirm they give names to their animals. Their reasons range from simple book-keeping to sentimentality on the part of the farmer and to relax the animals.
Many dairymen admit to drawing on the love life of their youth, naming their milkers after ex-girlfriends. Daughters, mothers and grandmothers also provide inspiration.
Popular radio soap, The Archers, may also have started the trend, as it features cows called Baby Spice and Ginger Spice as well as a pony named after Chandler in Friends, a pig called Playboy, a dog called JR and a turkey called Clint.
NFU Deputy President Tim Bennett is himself a farmer of 70 pedigree Holstein cows near Carmarthen, Wales, all of which have names, including Priscilla and Penelope.
He said: "The influence of celebrities is just as likely to be felt in a farmer's field as in cities and towns. These days Marigold, Bluebell and Buttercup have to compete with Kylie and Posh.
"More importantly, our study shows that dairy cows are very much part of the family on a farm and are cared for accordingly. Giving them names strengthens the emotional bond that farmers have with them."
Story filed: 05:01 Saturday 16th November 2002

James Whitehead said:
So this is the sort of paperwork that farmers are complaining about!
Quite! James.
Someone at the National Farmers Union obviously has too much time on their hands.

If this is an attempt to make the farmers seem more likeable after their recent Countryside Protest fiasco, they'd better watch out for Victoria Beckham's lawyers. She's already trying to sue a football team for having "Posh" on their shirts - even tho they've used this logo since 1920.

Come to think of it tho, news items involving the antics of dairy cows would be a damned sight more interesting than some of the celeb goss that currently goes into the tabloids. ;)

And why name dairy cows after footballers? You'd think they'd at least pick female names. :confused:

Re-reading the last paragraph especially, I think Susan is spot on
about this story being a bit of image manipulation and not just a
laugh! :eek:

And why name dairy cows after footballers? You'd think they'd at least pick female names.

I dont know though, quite a few of em are prima donna's.

i heard the best name for a cow once when i was at an agri-cultural petting zoo: Lonesome

i think Lonesome is such a pretty name for a horse or cow

oh, the attendant was feeding her and said Lonesome liked to have her tongue grabbed hehehe

Back