• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Potential investigation.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I very loosely run a group who investigate allegedly paranormal phenomenon. I say loosely as we don't activley seek investigation but will persue those that come to us personally.

A female I work with was casually talking to me and the subject of ghosts came up. During the conversation she told me that she thinks her house is haunted. She told me her two little girls sleep together because they are scared. She told me what to me sound like poltergeist phenomenon; clocks stopping, toothpaste being sqeezed, unusual noises...

I have asked her to keep a diary of happenings for two weeks and then suggested that we look at it together. She is married with two young girls. I don't know any specifics at the moment, but confidentiality being respected, I will report what I can of any updates here.

One of our group is an electician, and if there is sufficient evidence to take anything further I will get him to do a PAT test on any electrical equipment malfunctioning and take it from there.

I will keep you informed.

Without any real hard evidence... could this be due to the run up to halloween. Clocks stop all the time and houses make odd noises as they expand and settle through the day. Also if you concentrate attention on the 'phenomena' and ask for reports on spooky goings on, aren't you in danger of tweaking the perception of those involved and forcing the evidence in favour of the supernatural? Isn't there a chance that initially, you'll get reports you may very much want to hear?

You'll know all this already Spudrick, but for anyone new to this game it's always worth asking how long they've lived there - new (in the sense of recently moved into) houses have entirely different noises and characteristics, regardless of when they were built: if it's a while, then how recently did these phenomena start happening? Toothpaste being squeezed - my kids are in their teens but can't neatly squeeze out the pea-sized blob you're supposed to use, but being kids will often deny if they think they're in bother...

I'm not trying to rationalise it out, for all we know she does have an active polt / ghost, but it's worth getting the mundane suspects eliminated from the enquiry :). Keep us updated!

I told her that if there is a rational explanation for the incidents we will find them. I asked her to keep a diary of what happened and when simply so that I can assess possible explanations for incidents.

I will ask her how long she has been in the house, I am aware of the new house effect. I have tried not to prompt her to believe any explanation must be paranormal.

stuneville said:
You'll know all this already Spudrick, but for anyone new to this game it's always worth asking how long they've lived there - new (in the sense of recently moved into) houses have entirely different noises and characteristics, regardless of when they were built

Maybe that should be a sticky for 'Is my house haunted?'

Back