• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pre-Menstrual Tension - what's the most extreme case?

Gadzooks3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Having seen my youngest of two sisters do a 180 degree personality change before the birth of her first son - she's an incredibly placid person but becamse the Incredible She-Hulk for most of her pregnancy - I got to thinking about PMT. I know a lot of women who suffer extreme mood swings - though not as extreme as my sister's pregnancy effects - and I got to wondering:

What are the most extreme cases of PMT ever recorded? Are there any studies linking PMT to paranormal events? And what physiological causes could there be for the most extreme forms of PMT?

Just wonderin'. There are no greater mysteries out there than the mystery of the female mind. And I am a bloke, which is why this is such a huge mystery. :wow:

Would appreciate any and all ideas, thanks :D

The most extreme case I know is my wife. You can't even be near her if she's on the most wicked part of her period. And if you add stress and tension, there are sometimes I am even afraid to go home after work. Lucky me, this only lasts for a couple of days (and she gets pretty horny afterwards :D ) The explanation, I think, is related to the massive amounts of hormones in the bloodstream, in preparation for conception.

If she knew they were coming on, we'd have to tie Grannie to the bed. One chorus of De Camptown Races and she was quite unmanageable. :(

PMT is still a grounds for downgrading murder to manslaughter due to diminished responsibility in English law. As are the quaintly termed 'lacerations due to childbirth' (nowadays they just treat that as post-natal depression though).

PMT can cause something like morning sickness in some women, and personally I resemble a whale in the third trimester when it reaches it's height.

I also once read a copy of Holland and Barret's magazine which said that 10% of men had had to sleep in their car/sofa because of the other half's PMT. I have to say my first thought was that this was because women with that sort of PMT had a somewhat higher turnover of partners.......

Abendstern

Abendstern said:
I also once read a copy of Holland and Barret's magazine which said that 10% of men had had to sleep in their car/sofa because of the other half's PMT.

In other words, 10% of men have been forced by their partner to sleep on the sofa after an argument, and, rightly or wrongly, attributed it to PMT rather than accept any blame.

It's quite straightforward, come that time of the month, you lock them in a high tensile steel cage in the basement and occasionally throw them a cut of raw meat.

... No wait... that's werewolves. :wince:

unleashed.jpg

:x Mine gets so bad that my BF takes my car keys away..... He says I shouldn't be on the road. Luckily I have a work at home contract........

My partner's PMT and hormones generally are so bad, it's one of the reasons we still don't live together after 12 years. :(

I remember a California case from 20+ years ago in which a man informed his wife that he'd just been diagnosed with Multiple Schlerosis (MS), whereupon she promptly killed him and ate him.

But I don't know what time of the month this was.

I get irritated about things all the time so I don't notice PMT so much in that respect! Aside from that, I get weepy over stupid things (even though normally it takes a LOT to make me cry) and most of all, clumsy. I knock things over, walk into things, and can't park properly (no jokes about women drivers please ;) )

Going back to the original post, my sister was the opposite when she was pregnant. Normally she's loud, bad-tempered, and generally can be thoroughly disagreeable. She became a lot nicer the entire time she was pregnant. Now, she's back to normal and I'm remembering why she always got on my nerves before she got pregnant!

"A study in Wisconsin showed that the kind of male face a woman finds attractive can differ depending on where a woman is in her menstrual cycle.

For instance, if she is ovulating she is attracted to men with rugged and masculine features.

And if she is menstruating she is more prone to be attracted to a man with scissors shoved in his temple and a baseball bat jammed up his arse while he is on fire."

Author Unknown

maximus otter

Guy Lyon Playfair and Maurice Grosse made quite a lot of a lot of the enfield poltergeist events being to do with (and leading up to) Janet's first period.

Well I am usually sick, dizzy, headaches on the period itself and just intensely miserable of mood beforehand.

I remember at a student house I once lived in we had an adorable cleaner (luxury!) provided by the canny landlord. She was absolutely lovely too, a salt of the earth, proper, cockney.

She told us lurid stories about how she started trying to kill people with knives and burn the house down when the menopause started. She had to be put on some very strong HRT and was now absolutely fine. !!!! :shock: !!!!

Static, do you attract wackos? Oh, hang on, I'm talking to you so that makes me one doesn't it? Damn!

Anyway.....

Boys, let me put it liek this. Remmeber the very worst moments of puberty. Your entire body loathes you and will do all it can to destroy you. The hormones are so out of whack you don't now if its arse or breakfast time.

Keep that experience in mind.

Now think about those times you took a football to the crotch. That intense mind numbing burning pain that shoots through you. Centering in the groin, the legs, the kidneys, the back, the hips. Got that in mind?

Good.

Now combine the puberty hormones and the excruciating pain. Now imagine that 10 times worse and lasting for up to 48 HOURS and that is what every woman goes through once a month.

And you lot wonder why we are crabby?

And that is a 'normal' period. Some women are a lot worse. :twisted:

"I remember a California case from 20+ years ago in which a man informed his wife that he'd just been diagnosed with Multiple Schlerosis (MS), whereupon she promptly killed him and ate him." 'Quote'

BS,dude,this sounds like pure anti-California BS!I've lived in California all my 42 years & never ever remember a case like that!Prove it!The only case of California cannibalism I can think of is the Donner party stuck in the Sierra back in the middle of the 1800's!I challenge you to find proof this case exists.

I am a generally crabby person, however I do get rather bad mood swings as part of PMT. There are other factors which explain some of my behaviour and which have caused me to be a very angry and emotional person of late but it is definitely worse at that time of the month.

It's not a nice state to be in - I literally feel like exploding sometimes. Anything can set me off and I say and do very silly things which against my better judgement (because I am thinking sane thoughts aswell) I cannot seem to control.

I don't use it as an excuse - as I said there are other reasons for my behaviour aswell - however I do know that things are worse during my period and the 3 or 4 days leading up to it.

Lys617 said:
Static, do you attract wackos? Oh, hang on, I'm talking to you so that makes me one doesn't it? Damn!

Anyway.....

Boys, let me put it liek this. Remmeber the very worst moments of puberty. Your entire body loathes you and will do all it can to destroy you. The hormones are so out of whack you don't now if its arse or breakfast time.

Keep that experience in mind.

Now think about those times you took a football to the crotch. That intense mind numbing burning pain that shoots through you. Centering in the groin, the legs, the kidneys, the back, the hips. Got that in mind?

Good.

Now combine the puberty hormones and the excruciating pain. Now imagine that 10 times worse and lasting for up to 48 HOURS and that is what every woman goes through once a month.

And you lot wonder why we are crabby?

And that is a 'normal' period. Some women are a lot worse. :twisted:

I'm not sure that is that normal, actually! If you mean to say that you or someone you know gets those symptoms every time THAT time rolls around, I think your GP should get a call.

I and most of my friends find periods annoying, in that the bloating and mood swings can be a pain (although those of us with regular cycles can usually see them coming and stock up with spare granny pants, chocolate and tissues in time to lock ourselves away as much as possible!). But I don't think anyone I've talked to has experienced enough pain to warrant more than a couple of pain killers.

I guess we're all too young to have had babies, and I know that can change things, but seriously....get some help if it is that bad.

I wish you all the best,

Abendstern.

Back