• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Precognitive Mundanity

A

Anonymous

Kate

In 1993 My friend Louise and I worked for a small publishing house in
Victoria. One Sunday night I had a dream that I was sitting in our local
lunchtime pub with Louise and another girl who I did not know called Lara.
Lara started to eat her way through a bowl of chips chewing with her mouth open (to the extent where food was falling out of her gob) which made me feel nauseous. Then I woke up...

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/precogdreams.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can quite safely say that you are not the only one. I myself have had this happen repeatedly for about the last 15 years. I even started keeping a dream diary to prove these events to others. Keeping the diary actually increased the number of occasions.

Usually in my case the dreams are perfectly mundane, but there will be something unusual about the situation, meeting a new person for the first time, starting a new job (and not recognizing the building after the dream). Often like yourself exact details may be a little out. Names might be slightly out, almost misheard, however visually the dream is perfect. Also the dream is identifiably different to a normal dream, I can wake and think 'Yup that was one'.

When I was younger this sort of experience terrified me. When the 'deja-vu' occured I often began to panic because of the eeriness of it all. But after the sixth of seventh time it happpened I began to relax into it.

Eventually I started using the knowledge to my own advantage a little.

I dreamt about every girlfriend before I met them, which is an interesting way to start dating, knowing that you are not going to be rejected. I did tell each of them about it- I felt it would be kind of dishonest not to. One, however, panicked a little and dropped the relationship, which kind of threw me but four years later we dated for a while.

I've never tried winning the lottery or anything (I don't gamble generally) when I have played I've always see myself losing in advance (not at all helpful), and don't remember the numbers anyway (I'm dyslexic, especially with regard to figures).

Nor am I at all interested in proving to anybody that I can do this, infact if I try it kind of goes away for about six months to a year! I'd rather have the heads up than definitive proof. That said I've spooked plenty of people, and made a few believers along the way.

There was a time when I was younger and more scientifically minded (back in my physicist days) when I sought a more rational explanation. The normal one that I would come up with is that the brain is a remarkably astute calculator that can process an awful lot of data. It is possible that in the first situation you were acting on subconciously noticed and processed cues. And constructed the day ahead. You may have processed the name from an overheard phone conversation , or subconcious lip reading, hence the correct feel but wrong starting noise.
The Bird case is less easy to explain away, in this instance it is easier to use occams razor to say either you are confused about the sequence of events (you told your friend before or after finding the bird about the events you'd forseen?- I assume before from her reaction) or that you precognitioned the future. Just because there is no clear scientific principle at work here does not make it impossible. It just means science doesn't know everything yet... Since two physicist have a hard time deciding if time travel is possible or not, I can say precognition is more possible than physical transportation.

As to why these precognitions are so mundane. Your future (in general) is more full of mundane, and slightly odd events than life threatening adventures (I hope) :)
It's therefore not too surprising that if you look forward a random space of time your more likely to see a reasonably normal event rather than a future car crash say.

Personally I think this happens a lot more than people admit, generally most people ignore or don't remember their dreams. I think if more people kept dream diaries we'd know a lot more about this phenomena.

You made a few mistakes...

...firstly, you should have politely asked Sara/Lara to chew with her mouth closed, may have saved you some lunch an' taught here a lesson that'd improve her social intereactions.

Secondly, you shouldn't have mentioned the details about the bird, despite the coolness of it all, someone could think you had been involved somehow.

Yeah, I'm contributing.

Finally, I'm gonna say that should the sorta dreams I have start comming true... we're all screwed.

Speak of the devil.

Last night I dreampt that I was blind, an' driving (technically, I was asleep too :D ) but then I passed an old school an' could see clearly again.

Today, I had to go out unexpectedly (I had planned to waste the day at the computor), sure enough, as I'm driving I'm nearly blinded by this reflection of something or other, though my sight clears up copletely as I pass an old school...

Wiggy.

Luckily, nothin' from the other dream- the one where the woman sews up an evil baby from old, rotting, cow parts- came up.

I have had predictive dreams a few times but this is a very memorable one for some reason.

A few years ago I had a dream that I was looking at an old monochrome photo that was framed and hanging in the hall of someones house, the hall was decorated in a very old persons sort of way ( flowery wall paper, ornaments that sort of thing).

The photo consisted of a young woman in a big hat and a slightly older man in a rumpled poorly fitting suit. The background consisted of Weston super Mare sea front and beach lawns.

When I awoke I thought the dream was odd but then put it to the back of my mind.

The same afternoon when visiting my parents I was asked to fetch my grandmother from a friends house, a task my father would usually have completed but the starter motor had packed up in his car. I took the address and made my way to my nans friends house which was in a sheltered elderly persons residence. I rang the doorbell and an old woman answered, I explained who I was and my mission and was invited in. Sure enough as soon as I stepped into the hall I spotted the photograph hanging on the wall. I politely enquired about it (without mentioning the dream). The picture was taken on Weston sea front in 1929 and the man in the photo was the old ladies husband. They had come to Weston for their honeymoon and fallen in love with the town and decided to move there permanantly. The husband had passed away exactly one year to the day that I called to pick my nan up. The mans name was Christopher, same as mine.

Spooked me a little.:eek!!!!:

sort of reminds me of my own experiences with mundane psychic stuff. For my whole life, I have consistently been able to foretell what episodes of TV shows would be shown next. It goes like this : I will be at work when all of a sudden I will start to think of a scene in a TV show that I hadn't seen in years. That night, I'd go home, turn on the TV and usually there would be the show in reruns, with that exact episode playing.

Totally mundane thing. Wish I had flashes of lottery numbers.

I may have posted this already somewhere on the board, but it fits perfectly with this thread:

As a teen in the early 90s I had an enormous crush on/obsession with Keanu Reeves. One night while in the shower I had a brief vision in my mind of Keanu wearing a white jumper and sitting in a boat on a lake. I didn't think anything of it until I went out into the tv room and.. yep, you guessed it, exact same scene on the tv.

I started keepiong a dream diary after reading J W Dunne's "An experiement with Time" and like others on this board I have had lots of precognitive dreams which came true. Won't post them 'cos other people's dreams, like other peoples holiday snaps, can get tedious.

However it worth recording one absolutely true story I was involved in peripherally. A friend of mine had a daughter and she was worried about the morals of the young man the daughter was keeping company with (this happened decades ago when sex did not happen before marriage). So she went to a mutual friend of ours who was a medium (a very, very good one). The medium went into a trance and saw:
1) the young man in question taking his trousers off
2) a picture of the face of the young lady crying.

My friend goes flying home in a panic to find:
1) the young man in question had torn his trousers, so he went to the girl's home, where he took his trousers off so that she could sew them up for him.
2) The girl had pricked herself so badly with the needle that she was in tears when my friend arrived home.

Kinda sweet huh?

plusk

lmao

just goes to show what we are conditioned to given the premis you described,

when the reality was soft and fuzzy.

thankyou for sharing.

The threats to Eve the medium rants off,
To save virtue the mother flies home quick,
to find the beau in the foyer pants off,
and her daughter weeping from the small prick!

If it's well=paid job send me an application form. I could do that.

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

PRECOGNITIVE MUNDANITY

Kate

In 1993 My friend Louise and I worked for a small publishing house in
Victoria. One Sunday night I had a dream that I was sitting in our local
lunchtime pub with Louise and another girl who I did not know called Lara.
Lara started to eat her way through a bowl of chips chewing with her mouth open (to the extent where food was falling out of her gob) which made me feel nauseous. Then I woke up.

The next day, at work Louise asked me if I would like to join her and her
mate Sara in the pub for lunch. At the pub, I recognised Sara as the girl
Lara from my dream. I had never met Sara before or seen a photograph of her, or even really heard Louise talk about her either. Basically, I had no idea of her existence. I kept my dream to myself. Sure enough Sara ordered chips and when they arrived, started eating with her mouth open. Her eating habits made me feel sick so I made my excuses and left.

About a week later I had another dream. In the dream I had to go to Sussex for work to collect a chest of drawers that Caroline, our stylist had been making over for a photo shoot. When I got there, she was in a flap and was late dropping her two boys off at school because they had found a female blackbird under the rhododendron bush in their garden. It had a broken wing, so they had put it in a shoe box and were about to take it to the RSPCA. Then I woke up.

Sure enough, the next day I got in to work to find out that our driver was sick. I was asked to go to Caroline's house in Sussex to pick up the chest. She opened the door and the events that followed ran precisely as my dream predicted. I even pre-empted her by telling the position, sex and ailment of the blackbird. She looked perplexed and said 'how the bloody hell did you know that?' but she was in so much of a rush to get out the house she didn't really think about it to much to find it amazing or quiz me further.

Nothing like that has ever happened since. Can anybody shed any light on my not so amazing dreams of the future?

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/2002120...rteantimes.com:80/happened/precogdreams.shtml

Back