• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Predictions for 2009

steven_socks

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I love predictions. I searched the forum and found threads for 2004/5/6/7/8 but not 2009. So here goes:

1) February - a large fire somewhere in Southern England at a supermarket or shopping centre. Some loss of life.

2) May - Unexpected celebrity death in the UK. Someone much beloved by many will peg it. Possibly Trevor McDonald?

3) June - Compelling and very public UFO sighting somewhere in Scotland. Ridicule from the media follows.

4) August - disaster on the sea. Many deaths, including some schoolchildren.

5) September - Waco style siege, leading to a long standoff. Still ongoing in October but eventually just fizzles out. Media barely hide their disappointment.

Reading them back there, mine are all very negative. Any other ideas?

Heres some positive ones (apart from the hassle for CS):

January: Mandelson is found staked on Wimbledon Common. Police arrest Colin Stagg.

February: Thatcher found dead. 2 kilos of coaldust shoved down herthroat. Police arrest Colin Stagg.

March: Ruth Kelly found whipped to death, hanging in chains. Police arrest Colin Stagg.

Conservative Party manages to shoot itself in foot, despite Labour becoming increasingly easy target as Mandelson is involved in another scandal. Cameron resigns as Tory leader, Boris Johnson takes over.

WH Smiths goes bust.

Loonies are practically queuing up to take pot shots at President Obama.

Historic building in UK (probably a cathedral) collapses.

House prices in the UK continue to fall, Daily Mail blames immigrants and the Human Rights act.

Minor has-been cleb is eaten by crocodile on reality TV show, viewers vote to save crocodile.

Timble2 said:
Minor has-been c[e]leb is eaten by crocodile on reality TV show, viewers vote to save crocodile.
But a leak reveals the vote was rigged before the viewers actually voted.

Much uproar, demands for refunds etc...

(Meanwhile, crocodile is quietly recycled as shoes and handbags...)

There will be a murder comitted during a reality TV show when contestants are put under so much stress that they snap.

Major explosion at an oil depot in the UK.

Volcanic activity in an area once regarded as dormant.

A popular celebrity will say something on live TV and ruin their career and possibly end up being charged by the police

A discovery of major importance in Antarctica

Most people will forget the predictions they make this year, and make the same ones for next year.

Down, down,
Deeper and down...

We probably won't hear the splash, next year, either.

... Way on down.

ramonmercado said:
February: Thatcher found dead. [/quote

Weeping and wailing in the south of England. Street parties and public rejoicing in Scotland, Wales and the north of England. :lol:

1.) The death of Mick Hucknall, and a newspaper gets in trouble for the headline "Simply Dead"

2.) A News story that could be explained by/have the headline "Unidentified Flying Marmot"

3.) Big trouble for Ikea, but not credit crunch related

4.) Strange coincidence in Manchester robbery

5.) Some sort of virus in London, quarantine involved round major landmark

6.) Electrical fault with the Large Hadron Collider, possibly something to do with fuse in plug

7.) Someone will say the world is about to end

8.) The world ends, er, I mean:

8.) The world doesn't end

9.) Big scandal involving radio 1 DJ and politician, tabloid newspaper gets into trouble for naming several people they thought would be more likely to be involved - some on their list turn out to have been involved

1) A major British newspaper folds.

2) Jacqui Smith fired, even though she denies responsibility to the end.

3) A celebrity is kidnapped.

4) Best ever footage of ABC.

5) Another major food scare linked to GM.

6) Thatcher dies. In true 80's entrepreneurial style, her last resting place is under the floor of a newly-built grand public convenience where those wishing to urinate are charged £5 a time.

7) This year, the Turner prize will be awarded to a man who dropped his kebab.

jimv1 said:

6) Thatcher dies. In true 80's entrepreneurial style, her last resting place is under the floor of a newly-built grand public convenience where those wishing to urinate are charged £5 a time.

It will be the only business, in the UK, to make a profit in 2009.

The queen will die, and prince charles will become king.

CarlosTheDJ said:
jimv1 said:
4) Best ever footage of ABC.

Are they reforming?

They've been touring for years. 80's music is apparently quite big in Butlins.
It seems like they're part of a rep company which includes....

Greatest 80's Party:
Boy George + ABC + Go West! + Kid Creole and The Coconuts + Bananarama + The Three Degrees + Cutting Crew + Hazel O'Connor + Visage

I cannot predict how enjoyable this night out would be.

TRUE_THOMAS said:
ramonmercado said:
February: Thatcher found dead.

Weeping and wailing in the south of England. Street parties and public rejoicing in Scotland, Wales and the north of England. :lol:

Not in this part of the South at least. Although I may get another warning at work for saying that at least a state funeral means I get the day off work to stake the bitch and make sure she stays down.

I shall take dancing lessons purely to be able to dance a jig.

escargot1 said:
celticrose said:
I reckon Norman Wisdom will die.
I've just heard that he's already died.
He was still alive (just) last month:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe ... 740863.stm

But predicting that old people will die isn't very interesting, so my prediction for 2009 is something completely different:

Mysterious cosmic event stops the Earth's rotation - sun never rises again

(Actually, I hope I'm wrong about that.... :( )

Well, I am very relieved to hear that Norman is still alive. :)

My predictions for 2009:

Britain goes bankrupt as a result of all the crazy borrowing we've been doing.

Unemployment in Britain soars to 6 million.

Every shop on every high street goes bust.

Massive reserves of oil are found in Antarctica, the Falklands and Britain. Britain decides never to have anything to do with the Middle East. Ever.

The pound plummets to an all time low, making British-produced goods competitive with China.

Mystic visions of 2009 from 100 years ago
Esther Addley
The Guardian, Tuesday 6 January 2009

Posterity has not been overly kind to Henri Antoine Jules-Bois (1869-1943), but there was a time when he was quite the fashionable futurologist. A French occultist with particular interest in what he called "the superconscious", he considered himself a "philosophical prophet" with the ability to predict the future.

In 1909, the New York Times spoke to the "famous mystic and litterateur" and asked for his vision of what life would be like 100 years in the future.

"M Bois believes that motor cars will in a hundred years be things of the past," noted the paper, "and that a kind of flying bicycle will have been invented which will enable everybody to traverse the air at will, far above the earth.

"Hardly anyone will remain in the cities at night. They will be places of business only. People of every class will reside in the country or in garden towns at considerable distances from the populous centres. Pneumatic railways and flying cars and many other means of quick transit will be so developed that the question of time will enter but little into one's choice of a home. Transportation will be immensely cheaper than it is at present. As there will be less crowding, realty values and rentals will be less exorbitant."

So far so half-right. In other aspects, however, Bois's vision was more provocative. "Most interesting of his predictions", noted the paper, was that "the present ideal of feminine beauty will have ceased to be held by the majority of the Caucasian race. Physical weakness, extreme delicacy of physiognomy, and acquiescence in a mere secondary position will have given way to a type in which beauty and muscular development will be combined.

"Strange to say, the Paris press has not yet pointed its arrows of ridicule at the prophet," continues the report. "Perhaps it is because the average Frenchman has no deep-seated objection to woman doing a large share of the world's work, such as the American man appears to have." Some phenomena, like nationalistic prejudice, are not new.

"Asked to be more explicit," the paper concludes, "M Bois naturally said that while a philosophical prophet might feel sure of his generalities, it was too much to require of him to enter upon strange details."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/06/2

And now, the weather

Snow blanketed large parts of the country yesterday, causing travel chaos and giving children in Gloucestershire an extra day's holiday.

While the icy weather is predicted to last until the weekend, scientists at the Met Office in London and the University of East Anglia said this year's average global temperature would be more than 0.4C above the long-term average, which would make 2009 one of the five hottest years on record.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 28142.html

So why's it so cold right now?

jimv1 said:
1Thatcher dies. In true 80's entrepreneurial style, her last resting place is under the floor of a newly-built grand public convenience where those wishing to urinate are charged £5 a time.

Where can I get a ticket???

Ravenstone said:
TRUE_THOMAS said:
ramonmercado said:
February: Thatcher found dead.

Not in this part of the South at least. Although I may get another warning at work for saying that at least a state funeral means I get the day off work to stake the bitch and make sure she stays down.

I shall take dancing lessons purely to be able to dance a jig.

Ravenstone, you are officially invited to the Edinburgh & South-East Scotland "Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead" three day (minimum) drunken party when it finally dies.

Back