• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Premonitions Of Death

True story... Circa 1970 and 15 years old, two cousins - similar age - and myself were messing about with a Ouji board. At one point there was a, 'message', 'JOHN LENNON WILL BE SHOT'. I remember we were so alarmed, we wondered if we should tell an adult. That genuinely happened.

Did you know... that Lennon was warned that he would die (possibly by murder, I can't remember) on an island, leading him and Yoko to panic and cancel an upcoming Greek island holiday? He was eventually shot on Manhattan Island.

Did you know... that Lennon was warned that he would die (possibly by murder, I can't remember) on an island, leading him and Yoko to panic and cancel an upcoming Greek island holiday? He was eventually shot on Manhattan Island.
Did not know that. Interesting question from GerdaWordyer. Need to think about that for a moment.

Did not know that. Interesting question from GerdaWordyer. Need to think about that for a moment.

The warning is mentioned on several news pages, including this Times article -
Lennon told: ‘You’ll be shot on an island’

John Lennon was told by an astrologer that he “would be shot on an island”, 11 years before he was gunned down in New York.
The warning came during a visit to Athens by Lennon and Yoko Ono in November 1969, two months after he had secretly left the Beatles.
The couple were so alarmed that they cancelled a trip around the Greek islands on a yacht owned by the singer Donovan, which was to start the next day.

(Donovan's song 'Catch the Wind' was playing as I was waking this morning, lovely.)

The warning is mentioned on several news pages, including this Times article -

(Donovan's song 'Catch the Wind' was playing as I was waking this morning, lovely.)
How weird is that coincidence re the newspaper article and my story... Also, coincidental/spooky here, is that like mysellf, Donovan was born in Maryhill, Glasgow! Funny how,of all possible songs, that was the one which just happened to be playing...

How weird is that coincidence re the newspaper article and my story... Also, coincidental/spooky here, is that like mysellf, Donovan was born in Maryhill, Glasgow! Funny how,of all possible songs, that was the one which just happened to be playing...

Yup, the choice of song was not up to me as I'd left the BBC Sounds app playing and it'd finished my programme and moved onto a totally unconnected one.

Yup, the choice of song was not up to me as I'd left the BBC Sounds app playing and it'd finished my programme and moved onto a totally unconnected one.
Just curious, looked up Donovan's date of birth this morning. Born on 10 May... same as my son... If the radio had played, 'Donna Donna', this might start to freak me out - that's my daughter's name... :eek:

The fact it never occurred to them that Manhattan falls into the category of "island" as generally thought of underlines how unimpressive the success of that prediction was. I mean if he died anywhere in Britain it would also have been true. Or Australia. The entire American continental land mass can equally be dubbed an island if you want to.

he fact it never occurred to them that Manhattan falls into the category of "island" as generally thought of underlines how unimpressive the success of that prediction was.

The 'success' or otherwise of an occult prediction depends largely on how it's received. There is a long tradition of predictions being misinterpreted or simply not believed because they're too farfetched.
John and Yoko were about to take an island holiday in a foreign country they'd probably never visited. It sounded too close for comfort to their superstitious ears.

As with Henry IV, who was reputedly predicted to die 'in Jerusalem', which he took to mean he'd perish on a crusade. Instead he succumbed to illness in the Jerusalem Chamber at Westminster Abbey.

The 'success' or otherwise of an occult prediction... [...] There As with Henry IV, who was reputedly predicted to die 'in Jerusalem', which he took to mean he'd perish on a crusade. Instead he succumbed to illness in the Jerusalem Chamber at Westminster Abbey.
One folklore tale is that of Michael Scot, Scottish 'Wizard'. He had a premonition about his death and duly took precaution. Alas, fate was not to be denied... No hesitation in posting a link to this and a brief 'biograpy' of his extraordinarily fascinating life: {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Scot}

Last edited:
One folklore tale is that of Michael Scot, Scottish 'Wizard'. He had a preminition about his death and duly took precaution. Alas, fate was not to be denied... No hesitation in posting a link to this and a brief 'biograpy' of his extraordinarily fascinating life: {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Scot}

A legend popular in the late 13th and early 14th centuries said that Scot foresaw that a small stone would strike him in the head and kill him, so he wore an iron skullcap to avoid his death. However, he removed the cap in church, only to be struck by a stone and die.[8]

On the subject of death premonitions, might there be an existing thread for this....? Double-checked my recollection today and cousin, Anne, confirms her late mother believed, in elderly years, she could sense, 'the smell of death' . Anne recalled her mother describing it as a sudden 'earthy' odour and when it happened, sure as, within the next day or so, they would hear that someone in the family had died. If this topic has come up previously, would appreciate being aware of same (had a good look and can't see anything specific).

Last edited:
On the subject of death premonitions, might there be an existing thread for this....? Double-checked my recollection today and cousin, Anne, confirms her late mother believed, in elderly years, she could sense, 'the smell of death' . Anne recalled her mother describing it as a sudden 'earthy' odour and when it happened, sure as, within the next day or so, they would hear that someone in the family had died. If this topic has come up previously, would appreciate being aware of same (had a good look and can't see anything speciific).

When I worked in hospitals there was talk of such a 'smell of death'. I couldn't detect it myself.
An aunt of mine, known for her spookiness, is supposed to have sat up abruptly in her hospital bed in her sleep, declared 'I smell DEATH!' and lain down again. The patient in the next bed was dead in no time.

However...
Cancer has a weird and troubling smell which I have described on'ere in detail. I certainly HAVE smelled that.
I have seen a terminal cancer patient's hospital room emptied and scrubbed while the patient was on home leave; everything washed, mopped or cleaned, and it STILL stank. After the patient's return and eventual death the odour spontaneously dissipated.

That's very interesting. It's said that dogs, with their enhanced sense of smell, can detect certain types of cancers
Was just discussing this very thing earlier with my cousin, Anne (see above). There is seemingly some scientific basis - loads of related material online. Had never come across same previously.

...An aunt of mine, known for her spookiness, is supposed to have sat up abruptly in her hospital bed in her sleep, declared 'I smell DEATH!' and lain down again. The patient in the next bed was dead in no time.
That's really interesting, thanks for taking the time. Tell you why... story in my late mum's side of the family... Uncle Donald was on his deathbed, surrounded by loved ones. His, wife, Isa, had recently died. Suddenly, he sat upright, wide awake, held out both his arms and said, 'Isa, I'm ready'... at which precise point, he passed away...

This morning a colleague got a text telling her of her aunt's death. She said that in her culture (she's filipino) they believe in signs and omens and that it explained something that had happened earlier in the morning: on entering the office, a black butterfly had flown past her (inside). Later she realised it was the spirit of her aunt.

This morning a colleague got a text telling her of her aunt's death. She said that in her culture (she's filipino) they believe in signs and omens and that it explained something that had happened earlier in the morning: on entering the office, a black butterfly had flown past her (inside). Later she realised it was the spirit of her aunt.
Overhearing her detailing an extensive range of paranormal experiences this afternoon: either she's extremely 'sensitive' or a little bit imaginative.

Duly compelled to peruse this further, came across a fascinating article - there's a Celtic connection as well...

https://www.butterflyinsight.com/black-butterfly-color-meaning-and-myths.html

Two close relations of mine promised to appear to one another as a butterfly after death. One did sadly die young and the following winter, the other saw a butterfly in her house. It flew all round several rooms before vanishing - they never found it, dead or alive.
She is still convinced it was him coming back as promised.

I'm not sure if I've posted this elsewhere but it fits the theme of the thread.

When I was little (I can narrow it down, based on where we were living, to being between 10 and 15 years of age) my family were sitting down to watch the Grand National. At the beginning of the programme it showed each horse and jockey (and presumably told us 'stats' about each one).

One particular horse... I remember it being a sort of dappled grey, (although how accurate that is now I'm not sure) caught my attention. I cannot remember its name (nor the jockey name, I was too young to really take much of it in) but the very moment I saw this horse I got an incredible feeling of sadness completely out of nowhere. Just solely because of that horse.

During the race that horse fell and was injured in some way, and had to be put down.

I was speaking about this subject to a friend earlier.

She related the story about an elderly lady - 96 years old - who was in her care.

One day, the lady confided that the previous night, her deceased mother and sisters had paid a visit and sat around the bed.

Regarding the question whether she might have imagined or dreamt this, the lady - still a lucid and feisty character - preempted same by insisting otherwise.

She also highlighted the fact of now being blind.

The elderly lady passed away later that same day.

The fact it never occurred to them that Manhattan falls into the category of "island" as generally thought of underlines how unimpressive the success of that prediction was. I mean if he died anywhere in Britain it would also have been true. Or Australia. The entire American continental land mass can equally be dubbed an island if you want to.

Manhattan is known as 'Manhattan Island'. Australia and the entire American continental land mass are not called islands.

...It flew all round several rooms before vanishing - they never found it, dead or alive.
She is still convinced it was him coming back as promised.
Before my elderly mother passed away, I had set up some bird feeders, introducing her to the delights of watching garden birds and being able to identify them.

Despite failing eyesight and frailty, she adored this and we spent many of her last summer evenings together, sharing our pastime.

After she passed away, one day for some reason, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if mum could send a sign she was still a 'sentient entity'.

So, I expressed the thought... 'mum, if you're still around, can you let me know!!!'.

As I walked out the front door shortly afterwards, a blue tit - her favourite garden bird - landed on the vertical side wall, right in front.

It clung on for a while - just a couple of feet away - turned its head to face myself and then flew off.

Don't believe I have thought about this again, until presently, since the day it happened.

Naturally, the inherent sceptic would conclude, it was no more than a coincidence.

Thinking about this now... that's one helluva coincidence though, is it not...

Last edited:
... I was too young to really take much of it in) but the very moment I saw this horse I got an incredible feeling of sadness completely out of nowhere. Just solely because of that horse.
What an extraordinary and fascinating anecdote.

Would most certainly be interested to hear of similar occurrences.

Before my elderly mother passed away, I had set up some bird feeders, introducing her to the delights of watching garden birds and being able to identify them.

Despite failing eyesight and frailty, she adored this and we spent many of her last summer evenings together, sharing our pastime.

After she passed away, one day for some reason, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if mum could send a sign she was still a 'sentient entity'.

So, I expressed the thought... 'mum, if you're still around, can you let me know!!!'.

As I walked out the front door shortly afterwards, a blue tit - her favourite garden bird - landed on the vertical side wall, right in front.

It clung on for a while - just a couple of feet away - turned its head to face myself and then flew off.

Don't believe I have thought about this again, until presently, since the day it happened.

Naturally, the inherent sceptic would conclude, it was no more than a coincidence.

Thinking about it now... that's one helluva coincidence though, is it not...
It's GORGEOUS, that's what it is.

Back