• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Presence in My Garden

Timble2

Imaginary Person
I was photographing the heavy frost in the garden this morning. When I uploaded this picture there were mysterious shapes that I didn't see when I took it!

Frost2.jpg

Looks like a pair of ghost owls!

It couldn't be your breath? It looks cold and if you happened to exhale as you took the image that could explain it?

I have a fairly good image that I took in Rome where someone just out of shot was smoking. Made a similar effect on the final pic.

These 'photographers' breath' photos are fairly common. They are usually night photos because they require the flash to work. However, some day photos use 'fill in' flash. The bright foreground suggests fill-in flash was used, maybe without the photographer even being aware of it.

The flash did go off, this was 07:50 this morning.

Looking at it again, I've just spotted another face in it that I didn't see before...

Nothing to do with breath, it's due to mist forming on the lens when the camera is taken from the warm indoors to the outside cold, anyway, that's a proper ghost if ever I saw one.

Looks like one ghost kissing another ghost.

Did you take this through a window? Too cold to go out? :)

No, I was actually out on the patio (I was quick though). The windows would have been really streaky....

Whatever it was I doubt condensation on the front element of the lens was the cause. The marks are too focused, relatively speaking, to suggest something very close given the hyperfocal point of the image.

It could conceivably be condensation on another element but you'd need a sequence of shots to see whether the ectoplasm/moisture advances on retreats like any sentient miasma might when exposed to a rapid temperature change.

It doesn't look like condensation on the lens. That looks like a faint, vague patchy haziness, hardly even noticeable. This looks like typical 'photographer's breath' which the flash has strongly illuminated. It looks slightly fuzzy because it is out of focus, being very close to the camera.

There's some kind of frost protective covering on the plant on the right I presume? The pointy thing?

The bum in the lower right corner looks like Feen's to me.

I thought this was about Santa leaving things in your back yard!

beakboo said:
There's some kind of frost protective covering on the plant on the right I presume? The pointy thing?

Yes, it's a fleece thing. I like to keep my figs covered in the cold weather.

Aww and I was so excited to see the old captain from the Ghost and Mrs Muir. :D

Could it have been that the wind whipped up a bit of a frosty flurry? It doesn't snow here so I'm stabbing in the dark. With an icicle.

Or maybe it's the Scarg effect. You did say you were having beans on toast last night, didn't you? ;)

It could be the beans, you don't want to let one of those go indoors....

(I think it's condensation from the exhaust from the central heating boiler, iluminated by the fill flash)

If you want to catch the ghosts feeding at the ghost table and feeders, in your garden, then it's probably best to be up really early in the morning.

[Note to editor: replace ghost with bird throughout.]

It looks like a pair of aliens using a cloaking device.
They are watching you... :shock:

Back