• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Printing' New & Replacement Organs

Mattattattatt

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2683509.stm

I was wondering a few weeks ago if this would be possible... And it is... Surely this is one of the most important things ever?

Presumably, you can even scan existing organs into a computer using MRI or a mixture of scans, and replicate them that way - or if you lose an are, scan the existing one and flip it! OK, it won't be possible to do that for possibly decades, but it all sounds like a step in the right direction.

If fully developed,

and assuming its not bollox

this technology would enable you to
Print a new body and transplant your brain into it
Print a much improved body and move into it (preferable in my case)
Print a copy of your own body and eat it
(autophagism-v. popular in the 24th c)
Print dead chicken, cow, lamb, etc meat in any quantity and avoid all that nastyabbatoir stuff

yeah. I thought it was a very interesting article. It's just ingenious. I'm not sure if MRI can resolve down to the cellular level but by thin sectioning and microscopy or something it should be doable. I think the biggest problem will be to grow usable amounts of the different cell types from the person needing the organ. But if you could it would be amazing. No more anti-rejection drugs cos the transplant would be immunologically invisible.
Didnt the film "the fifth element" have something like this, except it was just a thumb left of someone and they "printed" a new body.
At the moment forgetting to put in a printer cartridge can make your pictures a bit surreal, but in the future? "oh bugger i forgot to refill the hair root cells"
"well, itll save on shaving"

Well, surely a computer could be programmed to "fill in" a lower resolution scan like an MRI? I know they don't go down to the celular level, but would you need to? Computers design microchips these days - why not body parts? :D

Sure, and eventually they will be able to print the brain as well, together with the synapses and neurons in the same configuration as the original -
please note that the brain/neuron/synapse system contains data on the order of 10,000 gigabytes
so the printer had better have a good memory...
upside- you can make as many copies as you like
downside- the scanning process would probably destroy the original

Down the corridor from me at the moment, they are trying to ink jet print replacement bone! None too successful at the moment as it keeps jamming, but they're working on it.

That's coming so close to teleporters! All that means is that you'd have to have an image of you stored in some central database somewhere and, whenever you need it, you'd just send the file to print!

I also heard that there are virus/bacteria printers, too. I think I heard about it on CBC one time.

I'm glad to be alive today. What awesome inventions! But it's also scary because we can even print up organic matter that doesn't even exist! How long before people start getting creative with this?

What if someone designs a really scary :vampire: that eats people and the guy gets hammered one night and decides to print :vampire: up and it fuses together and eats the guy who printed him before the guy was able to turn the machine off? Better keep this machine well guarded from the human stupidity factor.

That would suck...

If we ever get matter replicators that can replicate any substance, then money and all valuable materials will become instantly worthless. The implications are astounding- not sure if in a positive or negative way.

"Right Mr. Whitehead, take a seat while we run you up a nice new
organ."

"Thanks, Doctor. I was wondering . . . you know how run-on costs
are dead cheap in printing . . . ?"

"I think I see where you're coming from. Just say when. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "

:p

Printing Organs on Demand
By Rachel Metz

Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,69701,00.html

02:00 AM Dec. 05, 2005 PT

Need a skin graft? A new trachea? A heart patch? Turn on your printer, and let it spit one out.

A group of researchers hope printers' whirs and buzzes will soon be saving lives.

Led by University of Missouri-Columbia biological physics professor Gabor Forgacs and aided by a $5 million National Science Foundation grant, researchers at three universities have developed bio-ink and bio-paper that could make so-called organ printing a reality.

So far, they've made tubes similar to human blood vessels and sheets of heart muscle cells, printed in three dimensions on a special printer.

"I think this is going to be a biggie," said Glenn D. Prestwich, the University of Utah professor who developed the bio-paper. "A lot of things are going to be a pain in the butt to print, but I think we can do livers and kidneys as well."

Prestwich guessed initial human organ printing may be five or 10 years away.

The work started as a way to understand biological self-assembly -- such as how an embryo develops -- in the lab, Forgacs said.

While printed DNA and RNA chips have been around for a while, they have until now been printed in two dimensions, Forgacs said. Also, organ printing scientists have figured out how to print not just molecules, but clusters of cells, he said.

Here's how it works: A customized milling machine prints a small sheet of bio-paper. This "paper" is a variable gel composed of modified gelatin and hyaluronan, a sugar-rich material. Bio-ink blots -- each a little ball of cellular material a few hundred microns in diameter -- are then printed onto the paper. The process is repeated as many times as needed, the sheets stacked on top of each other.

Once the stack is the right size -- maybe two centimeters' worth of sheets, each containing a ring of blots, for a tube resembling a blood vessel -- printing stops. The stack is incubated in a bioreactor, where cells fuse with their neighbors in all directions. The bio-paper works as a scaffold to support and nurture cells, and should be eaten away by them or naturally degrade, researchers said.

Though it can take less than two minutes to print a sheet of bio-paper with bio-ink, it can take about a week for such a tube to fuse, Forgacs said.

It's currently feasible to print tubes, Prestwich explained, because the printers output bio-paper in a sort of ever-ascending spiral, like a Slinky.

Helen Lu, director of the Biomaterials and Interface Tissue Engineering Laboratory at Columbia University, thinks organ printing could eventually work. Still, she cautioned that scientists must determine additional details such as how blood vessels are formed in skin, because simply implanting them might not be optimal.

The researchers are aware of the difficulties they face; Forgacs didn't even want to guess at the technology's possibilities.

"There are so many questions at this point to tackle, even at the simpler level, that I really don't want to break my head over what kind of organ we would build," he said.

Back