• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

(Anti-) Social Media: Scams / Shams / Shills On Facebook & Other Sites

Reading through the description of the language used, it screams scam!
Bad English usage can be put down to a non-native speaker but in a business communication, especially an advert, it positively screams SCAM!

Perhaps, it's actually intended. I mean, if you don't take in the bad English then you might be foolish enough to part with your money?

I think I do recall reading somewhere that these scam emails etc deliberately use mis-spelling and poor grammar to make it seem more believable?
Something to do with how we perceive honesty and give trust to things if we expect fallacy to be an indication of virtue.
Or something.

Nice in theory but I, for one wouldn't trust a firm that can't spell or even use a proof reader.
It's like spam emails to businesses, sent from even genuine 'marketing' firms. Everyone knows spam is, at the very least, bloody annoying. Would I want my firm to be associated with annoyance and inconvenience?

True ... but, then again, I have zero respect for the UK print media anyhow.
Presenting news, information, facts is all very well but, really, money dictates how and how much these are presented.

Perhaps, it's actually intended. I mean, if you don't take in the bad English then you might be foolish enough to part with your money?
Makes sense in a sad and pathetic way. :(

Like the 'grocers' apostrophes' and other poor uses of English, which some wags assert are deliberate.
An indignant punctuation-pedant might storm into the shop to complain about the mushroom's and pertaters, then stay for a cucumber and some of those nice plums, please. :chuckle:

I think I do recall reading somewhere that these scam emails etc deliberately use mis-spelling and poor grammar to make it seem more believable?
Something to do with how we perceive honesty and give trust to things if we expect fallacy to be an indication of virtue.
Or something.
I've read this too. But maybe this is also a scam? Made to lure us into thinking that anything with correct spelling and grammar can't possibly be a scam? It just seems very... self limiting to me. Produce a scam but build into it faults that mean that only people who are not well educated will fall for it? Why not produce a scam that's correct in all forms, and try to lure in more people...?

I mean, the Nigerian Prince-type scams are often in perfect English. So are many others (I got the text from 'Royal Mail' only the other day, telling me I needed to pay under delivery on a parcel. Perfect English, perfect grammar.) If the 'make it a bit crap so only those not paying attention will fall for it' is true, then why aren't ALL scams a bit crap?

Some laugh-out-loud moments in a Guardian article, for once:

Twits have taken to Twitter to complain about some poetry.

It was an old purple patch of Shelley that went unrecognized, when the game was to put the boot into a political hate-figure. Yes, the bit about lions after slumber and yes, probably the political hate-figure who first springs to mind. Safe, therefore, to let rip with the voice of the informed critic:

“This is a poem by someone who knows fuckall about lions.” :rofl:

Last edited:

It was an old purple patch of Shelley that went unrecognized, when the game was to put the boot into a political hate-figure. Yes, the bit about lions after slumber and yes, probably the political hate-figure who first springs to mind. Safe, therefore, to let rip with the voice of the informed critic:

Quite scary really in a hilarious way. People do make idiots of themselves and Twitter seems to be full of them.

Elon Musk's mother follows me! Odd that she only has 510 followers though and you'd think Elon would have given Mom Musk a Blue Tick!

5nBWjown_x96.jpg

Tosca musk

@Tosca_Musk___
moviemaker & mom
Joined October 2009
·
510 Followers
Not followed by anyone you’re following

Hello how are you doing?

it seems you're a very big fan of my son, how happy will you be if i give you the opportunity to have a conversation with my son Elon musk?

Yesterday, 6:44 PM

LaughElon Musk's mother follows me! Odd that she only has 510 followers though and you'd think Elon would have given Mom Musk a Blue Tick!

5nBWjown_x96.jpg

Tosca musk
@Tosca_Musk___
moviemaker & mom
Joined October 2009
·
510 Followers
Not followed by anyone you’re following

Hello how are you doing?

it seems you're a very big fan of my son, how happy will you be if i give you the opportunity to have a conversation with my son Elon musk?

Yesterday, 6:44 PM
She has to buy one like everyone else. :rollingw:

“Its [sic] actually by Shelley, whoever that is,” Lady Mary tweeted to Danielle Blake later on in this most edifying of Twitter threads.

Marvellous.

Back