• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Project UFO - Based On Project Bluebook

MrRING

Android Futureman
Anybody here have fond memories of this Jack Webb produced late 70's tv series? It was supposed to be based out of incidents in the government Project Bluebook, and they presents cases that were explained away by other reasons as well as the ones that Bluebook considered at least "unknown".

PROJECT UFO PAGE

One episode scared me more than any other, I was sure I was going to get kidnapped by aliens because of it, but I've blocked out which one it was....

I remember watching this, but my memories of it are far from fond. The only storyline I remember involved a little old lady being conned by hoaxsters who staged her close encounter for her - which is certainly not the one you're thinking of. It's possible we didn't get past the pilot in those pre-VCR days.

My primary recollection is of the entire family abusing the actors (who were pretty wooden) and the script for its failure to represent military personnel accurately. (Dad was a tech sergeant at the time.) For instance, they had the lower ranking character address his higher-ranking teammate, a major, as "Maje;" an analogy with the ubiquitous "Sarge" I suppose.

I watched it a lot as a kid, part of my UFOs and alien obsession back then. My memory is that the usual format was for the Air Force characters to investigate, come up with a prosaic explanation that explained everything, except for one detail. It would often then show what actually happened, which normally involved aliens in some form.

Of course, it was a long time ago, and I may be remembering particular details and forgetting others.

Yeah, I remember it - used to be on ITV before the early evening news,

Only episode I remember with any clarity was the one with Men in Black, where they were revealed to be con-men. Other than that my memories tend to wards the same as Anome's, with prosaic explanations being given to incidents, usually alluding to secret mlitary stuff ("..so remember Major - none of this ever happened.."), etc, and yes, quite often they'd then show a UFO quietly alighting from the field behind the farmer's house, or whatever.

BTW, have moved this to Fortean Culture.

I don't remember any of the episodes specifically, but, yes, like Mr. R.I.N.G. was quite into it as a child. Definitely fueled my UFO interests.

I remember the 'UFOs' were all really high-tech and hardware looking. Not like Spielberg's elfin lights. You could tell they 'kit-bashed' WWII tank and bomber pastic model kits to build the saucers.

There was one episode where a child living in the Southwestern US or Mexico described a meeting with an alien who tromped down a ramp and started speaking to him by means of a big TV-screen like thing on this helmet he was wearing. It was like a grotesquely oversized human mouth on the face of this hulking cyborg-like alien! Whoa- pretty wierd.

I remember the programme when it screened here in NZ..must be late 70s. The only episode I have a clear memory of is one where a construction worker spots a UFO with horse-headed aliens inside..they give him a medallon with a horse head picture on it. He somehow loses the medal before the Air Force guys turn up.
Then at the end after theyve explained it all away and leave the worker guy finds the medallon down a crack on the roof.

Project UFO - the series

Just in case anyone needs a dose of that
classic Jack Webb TV series, check this out:

http://www.glowingdial.com/pufo_streamvid.htm

This weeks episode even features a Stanton Friedman
lookalike who is, of course, made to look as foolish
as possible.

I just dig the cheesy UFO models, the cardboard sets
and the awful late '70's fashions.

Enjoy!
TVgeek

Loved this show, Horse headed alien episode had my brother and I scared out of our wits for years. The aliens obviously lived under our house, but couldn't get you if you ran down the stairs and didn't step on the third step! (Well, it worked we are both still here!!!)

glowing dial has all of the first season up to watch now! Hooray! I've watched the first couple and there are obvious parallels with some real cases:

4001: The washington Incident = Washington Flap and Thomas Mantell
4003: The Fremont Incident = Lonnie Zamora
4004: The Howards Crossing Incident= Kelly/Hopkinsville
4025: The Scoutmaster Incident = Can't remember the guys name from Florida

Any others?

Project UFO The Howard Crossing Incident (very loosely based on the Kentucky Goblins).

Project UFO The Howard Crossing Incident (very loosely based on the Kentucky Goblins).

Project UFO The Werdterford Incident (loosely based on the Cisco Grove case with a cameo from Robbie the Robot).

Back