• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Promethea: Did She Exist?

MrRING

Android Futureman
I don't know if anybody here has been enjoying Alan Moore's fantastic, very magic-oriented comic Promethea, about the incarnation of a fictional goddess who is currently destroying the ABC universe... but was she a real goddess in some religion?

I got to wondering about it primarily because of a strange thread at the DC Comics Message Board (which you can read here if my link works): in it, a fellow argues that his research has led him to believe there was a goddess of some religion called Promethea.

To quote from his posts (some are reacting to other people's thoughts, but I think it's mostly pretty understandable):

I am a Canadian authour currently researching the Prometheus mythology. I have come to the conclusion that there was indeed a Goddess of Fire and her name was Promethea. The only reference that I have come across is for the Promethea moth. Can anyone help out? Evidence of Promethea will certainly help to re-write Greek Mythology.
Thanks! ....

I have been researching ancient Gods, Goddesses, & Daemons for over 30 years. Many old Goddesses were hidden away by the Christian Church in the form of male daemons, Christian saints, etc. Other religions have done the same. If you study the Greek Gods & Goddesses you will discover that they are not Greek in origin. Keep in mind that at one point in time no one ever heard of the Sumerian Gods & Goddesses either. No one believed that Helen of troy ever existed and the treasures of King Tut (which I had the pleasure of seeing as a young lad) were locked away in the dust of Time. The fact that a moth was named for Promethea gives credence to the existence of a Goddess. The swastika which was a fire symbol associated with Goddesses is also associated with Prometheus. The swastika was not only the Fire Wheel of the Kelts, but also too, a very powerful symbol of the Goddess representing fertility. My research began on that basis. I have strong intuition and I am never wrong! ...

I apppreciate all of the feed back that i have been receiving. I love the depth of the info being provided. When it comes to moths I know absoultely nothing! However when it comes to Gods and Goddesses...I consider myself somewhat of an expert. I am not trapped in linear thinking. Research must be approached with an open mind otherwise you get stuck in academic thinking. ...

OK- Ready to go to the head of the class? What was the name of Prometheus' wife and how did his offspring become involved in Jewish mythology? (I refer to the Flood Story) In my opinion this is only one smae aspect of Christian tampering. It matters not that some fellow didn't get around to naming a moth thousands of years after the Greek mythologies were written. Anyone familar with John Allegro (who deciphered the Dead Sea Schrolls) wiil know that he interperted Christ as being a secret code name for magic mushroom. So now we enter the ream of the possible...Go back in time and you will discover the many mythologies surrounding fire and you will discover a woman at the centre of the fire in most of them. Patterns don't change. They are deliberately hidden, altered or destroyed. For example it is due to the Goddess Religion resurfacing that we are even aware of her exsistence. It you grew up in an organized religion such as Christianity, SHE does not even exsist! Still not convinced?

I share a bit more of my research with you. The Holy Bible ...Revelations...The Armagaddon Section...Satan goes out into the four corners of the world to gather uip his forces...Gog and Magog...Now put them together...Gogmagog.. The Great Scythian Mother Goddess...In Scotland SHE is known as Hogmagog and HER festival Hogmany is still celebrated today! You hav eto be able to peel away the crap to get at the TRUTH! Now go in search of Promethea with a more open mind and the wonders of the Universe will finally be opened up to you...

Sorry Tacitus but Prometheus comes from Latin Greek. Are you aware that Southern Italy was occupied by the Greeks as well as the Kelts, Estrucans as well as other tribes comprising of Latin origins? The ancestors of the Greek who provided most if not all of the Greek Gods swept through that area as well. The Greeks as they became know were comprised of many different Latin-speaking tribes just as were the Kelts (who spoke Keltic before Galic) and the Mongols who spoke a variety of dialects.....

I'm not convinced yet, BUT I do know Mr. Moore has a tendency to start a idea only to discover that connections that he surmised were actually there (for example in numerous places in FROM HELL events that he wrote originally because they made a good story were later corroborated in fact - like the cabbie who ferried around Jack in the story dying in a cab acident, and finding out later that the real fellow he based it on died the same way). Is it possible there WAS a Promethea?

Warning - Possible Thread Hijack :)

I saw Comica;The Mindscape of Alan Moore recently at the ICA.
If you get a chance to see it then please do so whether you're a Moore-Whore or not.
Basically it's a documentary about Moore's life, work and philosophies. Very well made with some excellent dramatisations of scenes from V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

The guy quoted above seems to have quite a few of his wires crossed, so it's not suprise that he's gotten a little confused. I haven't heard of a godess called Promethea - perhaps the name was just something Moore made up, because it has a familiar Greek/Latin resonance.

In my opinion, if you are still arguing about what is and isn't 'real' after 30 issues of Promethea then you have missed the point.

I guess I'm looking at historical resonance... just like Alan's snake god and how he thought he made it's name up only to find it was a historical snake god of the same name.

Lizard23, what's your take on the magical implications of Promethea? Also, what about the reader being drawn into the story in such a mind-blowing way?

I'm not familiar with Alan Moore's .... (what's that word ... often used about ULs where they actually happen after being a UL? ...)-ing ... snake god. I've read From Hell, and I've read his novel Voice of the Fire and Promethea to date but I am not at all a comics / graphic novel reader as a rule, to be honest, having come from a far snootier highbrow background literature-wise heh heh.

As far as Promethea and Magick is concerned, I am sure I have mentioned before on these boards that it is a remarkably lucid introduction to the Western Hermetic Tradition ... the 4/5 element model, the ancient planets, the major arcana of the tarot, pathworking and correspondances on the Kircher ToL ... this is essentially a blow by blow initiation into The Golden Dawn or OTO or whatever, whose stuff, of course, comes in part from older sources ... the WHT generally.
I personally have found Promethea a really powerful and illuminating addition to my occult studies and the more I learn and experience elsewhere the more depth and forehead-slappingly clear knowledge it seems to contain.

As for 'the reader being drawn in' ... my personal feelings are hard to explain.

There seem to be many deliberate attempts to induce paradigm shifts in the reader's consciousness or at least try to communicate the sensation of them in Alan's stuff, and in the work of various other writers, and I experience this a lot myself.
There are many possible implications of this percieved repeated coming into being of and sense of participation in the creating of the world : in a creative sense the reader makes the story as much as the writer, in a 'magickal' sense we 'make our own reality' and in a mystical sense the universe experiences itself over and over ......... simply put it's an old trick for blowing minds.

But in all sorts of ways you *are* taking part, if you think about it .......

.... and as I like to say, it's not whether or not any of this stuff is 'real' or 'true' or whether you 'believe' it ... it's the thinking about it that ... does .... something ........ to you ....

Just to echo others, it sounds like this guy is getting his Prometheus and Promethea in a muddle among other confusions.

Anyone know when Promethea 4 TPB is going to be released? - feels like I've been waiting an extra long time for this one...

A dreaded 'me too' post.
Haven't posted on FT for a while but yesterday stumbled over the HardBack of Promethea Volume 4 while looking for a copy of La Bas of all things, and today found this fresh thread.
Ah, the joys of synchronicity..
Alan Moore is exceptional and Promethea rocks. Very enlightening reading.

93 93 93

Peter Grey

Incidentally, ostention was the concept I was trying to remember the word for.

And I still haven't read Promethea 30 ...........

I am rather hoping the whole thing will come out in one volume when it's finished ........

Back