• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protective Male ?

whiteoak

Junior Acolyte
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi. I'm the wife of a squaddie and with our regt. busy training for deployment to Afghanistan again next year, I thought I would write about something that happened the last time the regt. were away for 6 months (with a little bit of lead-up).
We moved into this house, along with my then 12 year old daughter, back in Dec 2009, just a short while after our marriage. It's a 3 bedroomed married quarter, on an Army base in the north of England. As is usually the case with 3 bedroomed houses in England, the 3rd bedroom is more of a glorified cupboard, with room only for a single bed and a bedside table.
From the first night we spent here, the door of this small, unused back bedroom would open sometime in the night. I was having a bout of insomnia at the time and would often be awake until 4am-ish. I would come upstairs to go to bed and this bedroom door would be open and, with a huff, I would close the door. It used to annoy me that it was open for three reasons - 1) The room was always really cold, 2) I just didn't like the room, for no good reason and 3) I was always telling the other half and my daughter to keep the bloody door closed to keep the cold out.
I would slip quietly into bed beside my husband and try (in vain) to get to sleep. After an hour or so, you can guarantee I would have to get up for the loo (I have a serious tea habit). I would leave the bedroom to find that the back bedroom door was open again. I always had the stupid feeling that someone within the bedroom was watching me from the gap. Btw, this door doesn't fit properly in the doorframe and whether you want to open or close it, you really have to pull/push and it makes a noise like a muffled fart :D I would never hear my daughter come out of her room (it was perfectly obvious when she did) and my husband had never moved from beside me. Yet this door had opened.
This went on for night after night after night. I asked my hubby and child if they kept opening the bedroom door (even though I knew they hadn't) and they of course said they didn't.
After we had been here for around a month (January 2010) my eldest daughter wanted to come and stay for the weekend. So I asked my husband to stash away all his kit he had thrown on the bed in the back bedroom and we did the room up a little, made it nice. After this, the door stopped opening by itself. Eldest child came to stay and decided she liked it so much, she was going to move back in with Mum and never left.
Fast forward to the end of March 2010, my husband leaves for Afghan with his regt. I was very upset and scared for what might happen to him and his colleagues for the whole 6 months he was away. The first night my husband was gone, my eldest daughter asked if she could start sleeping with me, saying that she had never really liked the back room much, that it was always cold (even with the radiator on). She also said that sometimes when she had been out of the room and went back in, she felt as though she had disturbed someone. She started sleeping with me and, lo and behold, we started to get the old familiar trick of the back bedroom door opening by itself every night.
Just over a month after our regt. had left, we got news that one of ours had been killed. We had no idea who it was and there were a couple of painful hours where we wives waited for a knock on our doors. It wasn't for me this time but I did get very upset when I found out who we had lost. I cried a lot that night and my eldest girl tried to cheer me up with a DVD night in bed. We were sat in bed at around 3.30am when we both heard the door of the back bedroom open (I had NEVER actually heard it opening by itself before). We looked at each other wide-eyed and then we heard footsteps come across the landing and stop outside our bedroom door. We only had our door open a little way so we wouldn't have been able to see who or what was out there anyway. Then, the footsteps backtracked a little and we heard them going down the stairs. We both heard the click of the kitchen light followed by what sounded like general kitchen-type activity.
By now, we were both almost wearing brown underwear and there followed something of a comedy. I grabbed my air-rifle from beside the bed and my daughter grabbed her hair straighteners (evidently she was planning on giving our intruder some serious haircare). I nudged the door to my youngest child's room enough to see her lying fast asleep in her bed as the 'activity' noises continued in the kitchen. We went down the stairs, me and the rifle first, daughter and high quality ceramic styling appliance very close behind. I looked over the bannister and could see that the kitchen light was not on at all. The sounds stopped. I came down, reached to the kitchen light switch, turned it on and saw...nothing, just the kitchen. So we went into Cagney and Lacey mode, throwing open doors and brandishing our respective weapons around corners, behind doors. Nothing. Boy, did we feel just a little bit silly.
We went back to our bedroom and soon after we had resumed watching our DVD, the noises started up again downstairs. This time, we just turned the film up a little, shrugged and ignored it. This became a nightly pattern, the back bedroom door opening, the footsteps always stopping outside our door for a moment and then continuing down the stairs, the kitchen light switch clicking and the general sounds of activity. I have absolutely no idea why because I never actually saw anyone but I developed a firm idea of who this was. I just had a picture of an RAF man firmly planted in my head. A tall gentleman, early 30's, kindly face. I asked my eldest daughter if she had ever seen our visitor. She said she hadn't but that she sometimes thought he was a man in a blue uniform.
My husband came home on 2 weeks leave in August 2010 and it wasn't until after he went back to Afghan (and after my eldest daughter resumed sleeping with me) that I realised I had not heard anything of our visitor nor had I seen the back bedroom door open in the middle of the night whilst he was home. It was business as usual with him though after leave had ended. My husband eventually finished his tour and the first night he was home with us again was when our RAF man once again fell quiet.
Earlier this year, I discussed it with my eldest and we came to the consensus that he was somehow watching over us, keeping us company, letting us know that a man was here while my husband was away. It's a nice thought anyway, even if it is completely wrong. My youngest daughter sleeps like the dead and has never complained of hearing anything, though she says she finds the back bedroom "creepy".
For the last month and a half, my husband has been away training for his next deployment to Afghan and has also been away on a course for promotion and I have hardly seen him. My eldest child moved out into her own place in June and my youngest daughter (now 14) has become a social butterfly and is hardly ever home, staying often for days at a time at friend's houses. I have been feeling quite dejected and more than a little lonely.
Last week, my husband had been gone for 3 weeks and my daughter had spent 5 nights in a row at her best friends house. I was in the kitchen, letting my dinner cook and having a rather one-sided conversation with my dog. Rudely and rather abruptly, my dog bolted into the hallway and up the stairs, making a whining sound as he went. I said, out loud "Well that's bloody charming! Not even you can be arsed with your Mother".
I was answered by a nice smiley but masculine laugh, right there in the kitchen with me. I had a little ironic laugh through gritted teeth (whilst demonstrating my best Action Man swivel eyes) and then hastily busied myself with inane Facebook stuff.
Recently, the back bedroom door has been opening at night :roll:

Well, that was long and I'm sorry if I bored you. Typing it distracted me for a little while anyway. Oh, I forgot to say...it turns out that this used to be an RAF base before the Army took it over (not sure when).

Good account!
I found that very interesting.

I'm glad I didn't bore you :lol:

I seem to have had a few curious happenings around me in my life. But each happening has been far apart in time. I have noticed here that it seems to be that way with a lot of people.

Yes, interesting tale.

(But it would be easier to follow if you broke it into paragraphs. It's too easy to lose one's place in a solid mass of text on screen!)

Indeed, you are quite right sir and I have reprimanded myself severely for being so lax.
In my defence, I will cite my extreme fatigue at the time and a desire to 'get it all out' :D

whiteoak said:
Indeed, you are quite right sir and I have reprimanded myself severely for being so lax.
In my defence, I will cite my extreme fatigue at the time and a desire to 'get it all out' :D
It's easy enough to edit - just stick in a few Carriage Return/LineFeeds (better known as the Enter key on the keyboard) as appropriate! 8)

I have read that the Army took this place over from the RAF sometime in the 70's

@rynner2
Maybe I just like it ;)

Not boring at all, just the kind of low key but still spooky ghost story that's usually the most plausible. Sounds like you have a guardian angel, maybe with his own "wings"! It's almost a pity you'll never know the identity of your new friend, if he has one.

That's a really lovely thought.
He's definitely hanging around again. He's here in the kitchen with me right now in fact. I've just asked him if he wants to watch Masterchef with me. He hasn't replied so I'm taking that as a yes :D

gncxx said:
Not boring at all, just the kind of low key but still spooky ghost story that's usually the most plausible. Sounds like you have a guardian angel, maybe with his own "wings"! It's almost a pity you'll never know the identity of your new friend, if he has one.
I agree, thanks for posting.

Brilliant. I really enjoyed reading that, and I hope your kindly watcher remains as long as you need him.

Thank you for posting such a fascinating story. And I think it's a lovely thought, that someone somewhere wants to watch over you when there's no man around ;)

Delightfully old-fashioned, and probably a bit sexist. But charming nevertheless. Good for him; and you.

Yup, he seemed like a nice ghost. One assumes that he only looked after the people in 'his' house though. I'm guessing that when you moved, he stayed behind.

Still in the same house and he's around :)

He just went quiet when my husband came back from his last tour of Afghan last year. Not even the door of the bedroom opened anymore after that.

But our friend has just started to make a reappearance since I have been basically alone at home for the last month or so. He seems to impose himself even more each day and I really like it. As long as he doesn't do a "Boo!" on me and make me leap out of my skin, I'm happy to have him around. I actually think I saw something last night and I never have before.

You know when you're out on a sunny day and a cloud crosses the sky? You see the shadow on the ground. Was sitting in my living room last night (lights on obviously) and it was just like a 2ft wide strip of shadow passed across the carpet and I didn't feel like I was on my own. Also noticed that my dog and my cat went off upstairs in the early evening and didn't stay with me in the living room, as they usually do. They weren't at all distressed about anything and came downstairs to eat but they normally always stay with me in the living room. Have also never felt our visitor in that room before. As silly as it sounds, I have started talking to him. Maybe he feels he can be around a bit more because of that????? Interesting.

Wooah whiteoak! Your tale has made me feel a bit shivery! I've never had a ghost experience, but if I do I hope I can be as brave and accepting as you (not a chance!!!).

You're living in extraordinary circumstances - with your man having to be away for long periods in a place of danger - and I for one am glad this presence brings you some comfort.

Very interesting account, simple and convincing. Where do you get the idea of the RAF uniform though?

As you seem to be perfectly comfortable with whatever's going on this might be a great chance to see how a rare phenomena develops, or not, as the case may be. Good luck with it.

Scribbles said:
Wooah whiteoak! Your tale has made me feel a bit shivery! I've never had a ghost experience, but if I do I hope I can be as brave and accepting as you (not a chance!!!).

Hello :)
I said somewhere up the thread that a few weird things had happened to me but that a lot of time had passed in between these happenings. I think it was earlier this year that I posted the account of the weirdest thing ever that has happened to me (I think I titled it Haven't I Seen You Somewhere Before?). Compared to that, my friend here is a walk in the park :)
I am actually enjoying his company.

Re: Where I get the idea of the RAF uniform, I honestly don't know. It is just an idea in my head, an impression, but it's very firmly impressed there. I will hasten to add that I didn't even know this had ever been an RAF base at the time I formed that 'idea'. I even have the name Steve stamped on my brain in relation to him but didn't think it worth saying before as it means nothing really. Just very strong convictions but no solid basis for them.

I think this is a very moving story, utterly convincing.

I have often wondered how dreadful it would be to die, then find yourself a disembodied spirit living in a dreary corridor or abandoned building. That's my idea of hell. This spirit really should be 'shown the light' by a sympathetic medium before you move to your next posting.

This is the cue for the sceptical to roll their eyes and sigh!

Yes, I can imagine it would be absolutely awful to be trapped in a dingy little room like our disused and abandoned (yet needed) spare room. It isn't our friend who keeps me out of there these days. It's the arachnids who have taken up residence, as well as the generally oppressive nature of a small, cold and neglected room.
Re: The medium. I am hugely sceptical about mediums. That may be unfair, there has to be the odd genuinely gifted individual. But I have seen (on TV) and heard of too many obvious frauds and will always steer clear of them. I honestly think he's happy here, he also seems respectful (making himself scarce when the old ball and chain is home, not opening the door when the room was occupied by my daughter).

Was talking to my youngest daughter (the least scholarly of us but by far the sharpest tool in the box) about him last night and she raised some interesting points. She knows that my favoured theory for 'ghosts' is some kind of playback phenomenon, closely followed by the timeslip/brief meeting of two times theory. But, as she so cleverly pointed out, he has fit the bill for both playback/timeslip AND actual real-time interaction (he seemed to laugh in reply to my crack at the dog). This gives me food for thought.

She also said that if she goes by the theory that he is in this house, pottering around the kitchen because he lived here, why would he be consigned to the back bedroom? She had me there but then a smile spread across her face. She pointed out how many couples we know here where the husband has been consigned to another room (seriously high divorce rates in the Armed Forces).

He hasn't been around for the past few days. But my daughter came home on Tuesday and my husband came home last night. I am becoming impatient and want him to come back again. I have made a serious investment in batteries for my greedy camera and will take some stills. But I only get 30 mins of video filming on it and I want to wait until I feel him or hear him here again before I film. If I get anything, the people on this thread will be the first to know (cross fingers).`

*Will only take pics and vid if, having asked him out loud, I don't get any kind of negative response. That may sound barking but he has been respectful of me and mine, I would like to afford him the same respect.

I absolutely loved this story - in fact, it kind of brought to mind one of my favorite old movies, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, even though there's nothing romantic about a real life ghost story.

Are you sure, though, that your younger daughter's many absences from home are due to her popularity and not because she's had an encounter with your ghost?

Hello Solstice. My daughter's absences from home are mostly practical. We live in the middle of absolutely nowhere and our car is an ex car, a resting car (though it does look nice, parked out the front). The bus service is patchy, to say the least, and you have to be willing to be home by 6pm each night to use it. She goes to school in the nearest town and her friends live in the nearest town. So, she stays over with pals a lot both in a social and practical way. She says she has never heard nor seen our friend. She is a very level-headed, straight-forward child who is not in the least bit afraid to say what she thinks. She is deadpan in the extreme (and I love her for it). Her only experience is that of being asked by both myself and my eldest daughter if she has opened the back bedroom door at night. I had my best friends death metal band practising in my house one night, fearsome amplifiers and all. My youngest baby didn't stir, she's like that :D

*Edit, is that a very old b&w movie? I'm going to search that out and have a watch. Thanks.

Hi Whiteoak - I have to disagree with the comments about your presentation style - I found your account to be very well written, carefully presented and extremely readable, almost professionally so. I was actually quite disappointed that you got a negative almost as the first comment, I genuinely believe you could be a talented writer. Not that there is anything fictitious about your account - it's the most convincing I have read. Thanks for posting it here.

Excellent

I agree with most posters on here - whiteoak, you've put up a very interesting, well written and believable description of events in your home. I think it is a lovely, comforting thing to be happening. Also made my hair stand up on end a bit though.

Solsticebelle is spot-on, this reminds me of the film The Ghost and Mrs Muir - in fact it was on TV here in the UK only 3 weeks or so ago (funnily enough just before this thread was started). Very pleasant old film, although the ghost of the salty-seadog in that film starts off manifesting rather malevolently before getting used to the presence of his new housemate! Oddly, although I had never heard of the film before, I think that solsticebelle's comment is the second time I have seen it mentioned since I watched it only 3 weeks ago! One of those things where you suddenly see something over and over (I think there are other threads about this sort of thing).

Anyways, all the best whiteoak - hard work being the wife of a serving soldier I am sure. Best wishes :)

Thank you all for your comments. I had written it out pretty badly at first. Most of it was one long paragraph until the delightful Terry Thomas up there pulled me up on it :lol:
Thanks for the link, I did see that film at my Granddad's house when I was a kid and now remember it for the hilarious salty sea-dog accent Rex Harrison put on (I seem to remember it made Gran swoon a bit). However, I genuinely can't claim it inspired me to write this 'story'. Our visitor is 100 % real and I am quite level-headed.
Nothing further to report at this point, he's still quiet. But camera is at the ready and I will keep you posted.

She knows that my favoured theory for 'ghosts' is some kind of playback phenomenon, closely followed by the timeslip/brief meeting of two times theory. But, as she so cleverly pointed out, he has fit the bill for both playback/timeslip AND actual real-time interaction

I tend to broadly agree with these types of explanations for ghosts but there are, as this case might possibly be, instances which seem to go beyond that and stray into other territory.

Back