• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protective Male ?

I am deeply cynical about mediums myself, but now and again one does appear to be genuine and gifted. If you have the patience to watch this little documentary to the end, you might find it intriguing. I have lived on RAF Linton On Ouse Camp, and have an RAF background.

You tube - ' A true story of an RAF ghost'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMJ7y4MF7Hk

I love reading real life ghost stories and found this to be a fascinating read, so thanks for posting, whiteoak.

However I did have a concern about what seems to be your growing emotional dependence on this spirit (or whatever it is), and I urge caution.

Developing an attachment to this being is the last thing you need to be doing under the circumstances. It is not healthy for you and if you are in fact connecting with an earth-plane trapped spirit, it is not healthy for the spirit. That's assuming the spirit isn't just playing mind games with you, a not unknown phenomenon where spirits are concerned.

I urge you to protect yourself (visualize yourself covered with a shield of white protective light) and tell this spirit in no uncertain terms that he/she is dead and needs to go to his own tunnel of light that will open behind him. Visualize it happening to the best of your ability to concentrate.

You do not need this being in your home, sucking up your energy in order to manifest whatever effects he does. He does not belong there and you should not be encouraging him to stay. You need to let him go for both your sakes, NOW.

Umm, I'm a bit thrown by that to be honest :lol:

I promise you I'm not becoming 'emotionally dependant' on him/it. I've never been emotionally dependant on anyone, living or dead.

To me, it seems as if you're over-analysing this. I don't think I need to analyse it that much really - it just is, you know *shrugs*. I don't sit here waiting for him to turn up. I just get on with my life and when he is around, I merely find it interesting. I definitely have no desire to move him on. He's doing no harm and he has probably been here a lot longer than I have. Live and let live, that's my motto, even for a dead geezer.

Thank you for your reply and concern though. Will keep you posted.

Not to belabor this, although it may sound as if I am, whiteoak, I definitely got the impression from your posts that this spirit has had quite a hold on you, more than you seem to realize. Being happy to have an unseen presence in one's home that formerly terrorized you is not a normal state of existence.

There was no over-analysis involved in reaching that conclusion, simply recognition of the situation going on that I think you are too close to to be able to see.

Send him to the light, that's where he belongs. He is preventing use one of the rooms in your house. His presence in your home is destructive to you, and your wish to keep him around is destructive to him, by preventing him from progressing.

I've been following these posts, and I too have questioned the spirit's motivation -it's as if he wants whiteoak all to himself!
Spirits should move on! We're not meant to get stuck here on earth -there is more to learn and experience.

Well, it is true that he is only around when I am on my own, yes. I'm also aware that there is a possibility that he may have come back because I was feeling lonely and dejected (that's why I mentioned it). But, I promise you, there is no hold. Lonely and dejected does not mean gullible and malleable.

What you see in relation to this presence is interest and curiosity. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered by him being here, he hasn't done anything to annoy me yet :D
As for 'sending him into the light', I don't wish to seem rude, but where is the rule that says all spirits should be sent 'into the light'? I mean, what is the light? I don't believe in Heaven or Hell and why assume there is a 'place' where the dead go? Who wrote the rule book that says spirits shouldn't be around and should be immediately packed off to spirit boarding school with a well-worn phrase or two? I tend to think they're probably just as much a part of nature as trees, grass and flowers. I have seen nothing to suggest I have a tormented or nasty soul here. If I do, maybe I will have to rethink my views.

There is no hold, I have been writing about my visitor simply because it is interesting. I'm honestly bemused, I just don't think it's that big a deal. However, your comments have been duly noted.

What does your husband say about this, whiteoak?

Does he know there's a spirit lurking in your home who apparently waits for him to take his leave before making its presence known to you, only to disappear again when your husbands returns - and that you miss the spirit when it's not around?

Recycled1 said:
I've been following these posts, and I too have questioned the spirit's motivation -it's as if he wants whiteoak all to himself!
I'd have thought that if this was the case, it would actually be more active (and possibly aggressive) when Whiteoak's hubby is home.
It comes across as a reassuring presence to me tbh.

Recycled1 said:
Spirits should move on! We're not meant to get stuck here on earth -there is more to learn and experience.
I used to believe this myself - believe being the operative word.
Who's to say, if life beyond death is a reality, that a post-death period in this world isn't perfectly acceptable in the grand scheme of things?

Not meaning to be confrontational here, just throwing my tupence worth into the ring

:)

Hi Whiteoak. Great story, and really well written, but I do kinda share some of the doubts expressed here. I don't understand anything much about weird stuff, but the small amount I do know tells me it's always tricksy, you know? I think there might be good reason why so much tradition tells us not to acknowledge such stuff too openly, not to talk to it, not to encourage it and to act like we don't know it's there even if we do. I suspect you might be crossing a line without realising it.

lets not forget lets not forget youre dealing with a recalcitrant spare bedroom door and some aural simulacra and the rest is healthy supposition

HenryFort said:
lets not forget lets not forget youre dealing with a recalcitrant spare bedroom door and some aural simulacra and the rest is healthy supposition

Oh Henry - it's only supposition until it actually happens to you. :shock:

Synchronous said:
I'd have thought that if this was the case, it would actually be more active (and possibly aggressive) when Whiteoak's hubby is home.
It comes across as a reassuring presence to me tbh.

I agree with Synchronous. And it's certainly not the first time I've heard of a spirit making itself known when someone is alone. It's meant to be reassuring; telling you you're not as alone as you think. Not in a menacing, "You've got yourself an astral stalker, luv" way.

I heard one story where a woman found herself being the last tenant in a house of flats, and every night, soft knocking would come down the wall of her bedroom before settling at the level of her pillows, where she lay. She became so unnerved by it all, she did call in a medium, who said it was simply the spirits telling her she wasn't alone. After that, she relaxed a lot more.

Accepting these things are happening isn't a problem, and Whiteoak appears to simply be accepting the situation. It's only when things are pushed or fed with negative emotions or energies that they would turn 'nasty'. Which is why I never advocate the use of the Ouija board, because it's almost always amateurs who have no idea how to protect themselves and close doors after them. The Ouija itself is pretty harmless - a parlour game - but it can be a mistake.

As for 'going into the light', well who's to say whether that's a one-way trip anyway? Maybe they're just popping back for a quick hello.

Ravenstone said:
Accepting these things are happening isn't a problem, and Whiteoak appears to simply be accepting the situation. It's only when things are pushed or fed with negative emotions or energies that they would turn 'nasty'.
You bring up an interesting point, something I've been thinking about recently.
We're programmed with a cultural tendency to view the paranormal as something to fear - due to centuries of folklore and around 2 millennia of being influenced by a religion that views paranormal occurrences of the work of the devil.
I suspect that the fear that people manifest when faced with the unknown may feed a negative response, not to mention that fear is not the most productive emotion for rational thought.
I feel that there's legs in the old adage 'there's nothing to fear but fear itself'.
If these phenomena ARE evidence of a natural, yet rarely manifest, part of existence then they should be approached with curiosity and interest, not fear.

Ravenstone said:
As for 'going into the light', well who's to say whether that's a one-way trip anyway? Maybe they're just popping back for a quick hello.
Absolutely. Who can say?

Couldn't agree more. I really do apologise for any offence but to me all this talk of Ouija boards, mediums and heading toward the light is just the result of a particular cultural trend with nothing to recommend it, other than it's often popularised and is in some sort of vogue at present.

As I say genuinely no offence meant to anyone who does believe in that type of thing, but as there's absolutely no evidence that any type of phenomena identified by some as being the result or spirit or supernatural activity has ever at any time caused anyone any harm in itself, warnings seem to me to be more the result of preconceived superstition than any objective reasoning.

I would warn against any active encouragement, in a way that starts to go beyond interest. Y'know - digging into the story, constantly questioning the 'spirit', bombarding them with Ouija boards, mediums - all sorts.

Joe Fisher's The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts is a salutary lesson in the dangers of 'obsessing' over the spirit.

But acknowledging their existence has always seemed to me to be the best way of dealing with them. Even if it's a nodding acquaintance - a kind of, "Yes, I know you're there, and you know I'm here, and we'll just go our own way. Agreed?".

Joe Fisher's The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts is a salutary lesson in the dangers of 'obsessing' over the spirit.

I'm sorry I can't agree with that. I admit that I've never read the book but if it's about mediums and spirit guides I can't imagine that it's genuine.

Why do you doubt a book you've never read? On what grounds?

I'm just interested in what has led you to dismiss it, whether it's reviews or something you've heard?

Colin Wilson was firmly of the belief that it was Joe Fisher's obsession with one spirit that led to his death.

Ravenstone said:
I would warn against any active encouragement, in a way that starts to go beyond interest. Y'know - digging into the story, constantly questioning the 'spirit', bombarding them with Ouija boards, mediums - all sorts.
Absolutely. Had a few dodgy experiences with Ouija boards in the past myself, so I know where you're coming from.

A see nothing wrong with curiosity, but I hold the same view as would of any other unknown - curiosity with caution.

I hold a very dim view of 'Most Haunted' and the like for this reason - they know not that with which they dabble, however much mediums and the like may pretend otherwise.

And I've answered on the same thread, although it does appear to have an overlap with this story.

As the poster who originally brought up The Ghost And Mrs. Muir, I'd like to clarify my comments. I love that movie, but in real life, an interactive ghost in the house would freak me out, especially if it was the ghost of a male since I'm a female. You know, it may or may not be scary, but it is a huge invasion of privacy. As a female, it really would seriously creep me out to know that an invisible male being could watch me at any time.

We have no way or knowing what the persona of the ghost in question is, but in The Ghost And Mrs. Muir, the ghost, Captain Gregg, realizes that he is holding back Lucy, the flesh and blood woman he has fallen in love with, from having a "real" relationship, and he goes away. (The ending of the film however, is the epitome of romance!) I realize that is completely different from Whiteoak's situation, but he did have her best interests at heart.

We have no way or knowing what the persona of the ghost in question is

The thing is we don't know what this thing is, or what anything we class as a ghost is either for that matter. I don't think we can assume that it has a persona.

You are right Ravenstone but I felt that as this thread is actually unfolding it might be better to keep related but not specifically connected points, such as Fisher's book, out of it's way.

Overlaps are unavoidable. The discussion would have fitted in either thread, depending on whether you wish to pursue the point about mediums, or whether you wish to discuss the nature of any entity encountered.

oldrover said:
We have no way or knowing what the persona of the ghost in question is

The thing is we don't know what this thing is, or what anything we class as a ghost is either for that matter. I don't think we can assume that it has a persona.

I'm not assuming anything. Whikeoak is experiencing something that possesses sentience, since it has responded to her.

Lots of things respond to you it doesn't make them sentient. Each to their own but for me that hasn't been answered yet.

It'll be fascinating to discuss the nature of whatever's being experienced, but I'd like to see how things turn out a bit more first.

oldrover said:
Lots of things respond to you it doesn't make them sentient.

I'm having difficulty thinking of anything that responds to human speech/mood etc that isn't sentient, that is, having the ability to react and perceive surroundings.

Well, I disappear off out for the day and look what I find when the cat drags me in? :D It's really good to see people debating and sharing their personal thoughts.

I saw my first 'ghost' when I was around 6 years old. I'm afraid to say that it was a cliche ghost - it was a brown, hooded figure that I could see standing between the trees across the road (your common or garden variety of monk). At least I could see it standing there when I looked in my dressing table mirror but not when I turned to look at it directly through the window. The first time I saw it, I took a moment or two to have a good look and to swap views and make sure I was actually seeing something and then I ran away. I wasn't scared for long, I was soon distracted by Jim'll Fix It.

I lived in a house with my children for 12 years that was the weirdest, most lively place I have ever been. I felt there was at least the presence of 3 separate 'beings'. When my eldest daughter was around 2-3 years old, she would string 'traps' of wool between the bannisters of the stairs. She said they were to stop the black thing from walking up the stairs and coming near her bedroom - I knew what she meant :D So many odd things happened during our years there but it didn't take long for us to accept these things and think nothing of them.

I had a weird experience after my brother-in-law passed away, I had an incredibly weird but pretty cool experience in the home I mentioned above. I went on a cynical 'ghost tourist' visit to a stately home when I was a 14 year old and was amazed to see, of all things, what I regard to be a ghost. I had my rings stolen by 'something', who left them in the middle of the kitchen floor for me a few minutes after I lost my temper and told the air to "Give me back my bloody rings RIGHT NOW!"

In short, though I haven't been in the company of spirits for every day of my life (as far as I actually know), I have experienced my share of happenings during my 37 years and I don't feel any fear. Neither do I feel I have to search these things out by using things like ouja boards and the like. In fact, I don't really believe that's anything more than a bog-standard piece of board with some writing on it. I feel privileged to see and hear things that science does not have a firm explanation for. But I think I regard ghosts as something not paranormal at all, as far as them being something beyond the norm anyway. Inexplicable, yes. But not unnatural.

Henry Fort said further up the thread that, apart from a door that opens, the rest is supposition and of course he is absolutely right. I have given my impressions as far as my visitor goes. I have still seen nothing but a fleeting, shapeless shadow that drifted across the carpet. I thought I heard him laugh but as someone who looks to science, I realise this is currently nothing more than my interpretation.

The way popular culture thinks of ghosts now has been influenced by Victorian ideas of death and the dead. Death was classified as something that did not belong in the world of the living, which of course it does indeed. All the more ironic when you consider how frequently people then were shown just how much a natural part of life death is. Eventually, for shock value and for the almighty coin, this whole new 'art' of communicating with the dead sprang up and a set of rules for dealing with the deceased was invented. Don't beat me up for being cynical here, but...If it turned out that you didn't need a self-proclaimed gifted person to see or hear spirits, if it turned out that these 'rules' were just words and rituals made up by people, well...it wouldn't be quite as lucrative if you could just do it yourself. The Rolex is iconic because grunts like me can't afford one :D

Umm, I'm rambling now and have completely lost my direction. This may or may not be something to do with me indulging in a fair bit of the old Wild Turkey tonight. I think what I may have been trying to say is that ghosts, as we call them, may be many different elements and processes. They may one day be explained as some natural chemical or physical process. Maybe they are quite literally the dead popping back. Maybe they are a mixture of these things. Who knows? But, to me, they are as much a part of ordinary life as teabags, grass, wind, sink plungers and sandwiches. I'm not about to start worrying my pretty little head about those and I'm not about to banish them from my life either.

You want paranormal? Explain the Kardashian family :rofl:

Back