• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Psychogeographical Urbex Fire Synchronicity [PHOTOS]

henry

still speeding
hi all just a fortean coincidence from earlier today for you ... there are a few different ways i can walk to my fortean daughters primary school to pick her up one route i have taken many times brings me down a narrow alley at the rear of a large royal mail sorting office ( oldham road manchester )

i took this route today and for the first time really noticed a interesting looking abandoned old railway building ... having been turned on to psychogeography and a spot of urban exploration i took a few photos and texted my ( other ) partner in fortean crime my best pal at 15:15 "just found a ripe spot for some urbex ... email ya later" and at 16:47 i emailed him the following four images

then at 17:12 i emailed him a google maps link :

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=rochda ... m&t=h&z=20

fast forward to picking up the fortean daughter from brownies couple of hours later and en route home in the car we realise there is a large fire and the police have closed the street her school is on ! fearing the worst we detoured close to school and realised the whole street was full of about 4 or 5 engines and assorted police vehicles ... however the fire was in the abandoned building i had photographed earlier ! final photo was taken at 20:15 from my speeding opel manta coupe ... you can just see one of the fire vehicles and a little smoke but most was oscured by the roof of my car ... they had a huge crane vehicle and were tackling the fire from above

'They' noticed you casing the joint and decided to destroy the evidence. ;)

Yes, and you won't be hard to track down, not too many Mantas about these days. You've had it.

Where I'm from (Detroit), nothing about this would be Fortean at all.

I was in a bar in San Francisco a couple years ago and had the opportunity to demonstrate my "Detroit super-power."

We could see, reflected in the window of a shop across the street, a fire blazing a little ways down the street from us. One person from the bar went out to investigate.

Another person in the bar speculated that it was probably a car set on fire, since they'd heard of someone setting cars on fire over in the East Bay. (A tenuous connection if I'd ever heard one.)

Another person said it was probably a port-a-potty (those portable toilets used by construction workers, etc.) lit on fire; they'd heard of someone doing that somewhere.

I took a good sniff. "Nope, it's just wood - relatively new wood, so it's probably either a Christmas tree (it was late January) or some furniture someone had set out on the curb for trash pick-up."

The person who'd gone out to see came back and announced that it was a Christmas tree out on the curb.

8)

:shock: Wow, really odd that it was the first time you had really noticed that building & then that happens. Was there any news on how it happend? Was it kids messing about or something more sinister?

yes i must have walked past it at least 40 times over the last academic year ... and its not like im not interested in dilapidated old railway buildings ... a few days after the fire we were walking home and checked it out ... the site was open and some workmen were clearing out one of the rooms ( looked like storage but couldnt tell what was being stored ) wouldve taken a photo but as per the above comments i am very aware how that couldve been misconstrued ... there was a lot of damage to the middle roof ... will try and get a updated photo ... couldnt find anything in the news about it but then its not especially newsworthy ... the local fire station is literally one street away so im guesing they sorted it all out pretty quick

I'm just glad you weren't in it when it caught fire. I do, however, very much encourage urbex. Especially when much of the exploration is done through the lens of a camera!

yeah definitely ... manchester is ripe with classic urbex ...in general ive only ever gone over fences and not through the window ... but i love a spot ! urban hack at urbis a few years ago had a gallery of photos of hidden manchester by andrew paul brooks ... some great work in there ... i was at the opening night courtesy of a friend who knew him pretty well

Back