• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Puzzling Proverbs

from dusty's link:

A fool may ask more questions in an hour than a wise man can answer in seven years.

(which i sometimes feel applies rather well on this MB! ;) )

rynner said:
A fool may ask more questions in an hour than a wise man can answer in seven years.

Sorry, I haven't got much time, but what do you mean?

Surely a truly wise man would just look up the answers on Wikipedia, answering them in much the same scattershot rate as the fool asking them? Like, duh!

evilsprout said:
Surely a truly wise man would just look up the answers on Wikipedia, answering them in much the same scattershot rate as the fool asking them? Like, duh!

But remember the modern saying:

Any idiot with an internet connection can update Wiki.

So the wise man wouldn't touch Wiki with the end of someone else's...

rynner said:
from dusty's link:

(which i sometimes feel applies rather well on this MB! ;) )

I'm not sure I like that comment. Seems a bit harsh and discouraging to future posters. I'm open to the poss that I'm being oversensitive and misinterpreting, but calling posters fools jars me.

Right, that's the grant application sorted:

Piscine Velocipedal Employment Patterns Across Contemporary Europe

"A detailed survey to be determined by lavish application of nasal passages to saddles. Sample size to be decided by when I get bored or exhausted. Countries to be visited: oh, Holland mainly, I suppose.*"

*Preliminary surveys suggest that every living thing in the Netherlands is on a bicycle and every dead thing there is on the road with an elegant single tread-mark through its axis.

:blissed:

One I have heard for many years is, " I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw."

at home my mother always says `"I see", said the blind man, "a hole in the wall" "You liar", said the dumb man, "You can't see at all"`

she has a million of these

I remember using the expression "Six of one and half-a-dozen of the other" within earshot of an over-literal colleague. She looked puzzled for a moment, as if performing mathematical gymnastics, and then said "But that's the same thing!".

Yes, I said, I hadn't thought of that.

:lol: When my kids were excitedly running off to play on a trampoline at a theme park, I called after them, 'Just don't come running to me with a broken leg!'

A man nearby turned to his missus and said, did you hear that, how stupid! How could they run with a broken leg...

All proverbs, even apparently obscure foreign ones, can be understood with a minute's thought. s'not rocket science. ;)

I always carry some loose change - a dozen fickles and a gross of fuckles.

escargot1 said:
All proverbs, even apparently obscure foreign ones, can be understood with a minute's thought. s'not rocket science. ;)

This entire thread must just irritate you then. Wonder why you bother.

gncxx said:
Many a mickle makes a muckle.
Actually, that was apparently made up for a Fine Fare commercial. Nobody actually said it before then.

How would you know whether I was irritated? You got a crystal ball?

Yeah, never mind 'cos there's many a slip twixt cup and lip.

EDIT -

stuneville said:
Actually, that was apparently made up for a Fine Fare commercial. Nobody actually said it before then.

Not according to the Compact Oxford English Dictionary!

— PHRASES many a little makes a mickle (also many a mickle makes a muckle) many small amounts accumulate to make a large amount.

— ORIGIN Old English.

— USAGE The forms mickle and muckle are merely variants of the same (now dialect) word meaning ‘a large amount’. However, the alternative form of the proverb (originally a misquotation) has led to a misunderstanding that mickle means ‘a small amount’.

Furthermore, there's no use thatching an empty barn.
That's one of my favourites. 8)

Isn't there some test psychiatrists do along these lines? I can't remember what it's for, but I seem to recall that not understanding proverbs can point to some kind of mental illness or condition. :?
Perhaps I'm thinking of the android test in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. :?

beakboo said:
Isn't there some test psychiatrists do along these lines? I can't remember what it's for, but I seem to recall that not understanding proverbs can point to some kind of mental illness or condition. :?
Perhaps I'm thinking of the android test in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. :?
there's no use thatching an empty barn
:?

OMG! I'm an android! :shock:

A phrase:
"Now, you've put me on a horse!"
Meaning:
You've got my interest or you've got me all keen for something.

'Smarvellous!

Sage advice from the cab of a Dutch HGV

"Never drive faster than your Angel can fly"

Niall114 said:
Sage advice from the cab of a Dutch HGV

"Never drive faster than your Angel can fly"
i'd never heard that phrase until a few days ago, when i saw it on a car sticker.

and now it turns up here... spooky!

Back