• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rainbow

At the time this did the rounds (it was big at the start of last year when it really got picked up by blogs which circulated it withough any background) I did dig out all the relevant info including an interview with Jeffrey but the
Wikipedia entry will do:

The "Adult" version

In 1978 the cast and crew of Rainbow made a special edition of Rainbow for ITV staff. This show featured plenty of sexual innuendo and although not shown at the time, it has since been aired for the amusement of those who grew up with the show. (It should be noted that the external page linked below erronously claims that the episode was publically broadcast).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_%2 ... 22_version

i'm sure that i remember someone i know swearing up and down that he'd seen it shown on the telly.

he does have a bit of a memory problem though (or perhaps he said something different).

I have, definately, definately seen this, on some channel-4-ish show, years ago (6-8 years?)

I have, I have, I have.

I always wondered if it was for "real", or a spoof done by different actors. It was really very hard to believe what I saw.

When I saw the thread title "rainbow" in urban myths, I at once hoped it was about this, because It was really quite staggering.

I read somewhere that it was made as a birthday present for one of the producers of Rainbow. It later surfaced on Australian TV as an example of how British children's TV is full of inuendo (which it isn't).

As someone said, it's been on channel 4 a few times now...

Thestral said:
I have, definately, definately seen this, on some channel-4-ish show, years ago (6-8 years?)

I have, I have, I have.

Yes although it was never shown in the Rainbow slot (it was never meant to be broadcast but eventually leaked out) it did get featured in on of those Channel 4 "100 Greatest TV Moment"-type thingies.

Is this the twangers thing? It was first shown on the Victor Lewis Smith show, TV Offal, in the nineties.

There's also an adult version on a Jim Davidson programme which Smith showed a clip of where Zippy talks about "the fucking Garden of Eden". I remember the Rainbow gang turning up as a gag on a Davidson show in the eighties, except with no swearing (but plenty of innuendo).

Don't ask me what I was doing watching Jim Davidson.

I believe it was part of one of the legendary Christmas Tapes, made on the sly by technicians. The Doctor Who ones are good:

K9: "I am unable to answer, master"
Doctor: "You never know the f***ing answer when it's important, do you?"

And of course, the famous one where John Cleese tries to get Tom Baker's autograph for his blind son. It is, unsurprisingly, in slightly poor taste, hence very funny.

The Twangers episode was a joke done by the crew. I worked with a TV Editor who was in on the gag. Apparently a lot of the childrens shows have gag reels like this.

MrHyde said:
And of course, the famous one where John Cleese tries to get Tom Baker's autograph for his blind son. It is, unsurprisingly, in slightly poor taste, hence very funny.

This page has details. I once stumbled on a site which had info on most of these VT outtakes, but I'm damned if I can find it now...

Geoffrey Hayes from Rainbow had this to say about it:
"The VT department of each ITV company, every Christmas had a competition to enter all the outtakes from their particular companies programme output, and see which ones were the funniest. But ours wasn't an outtake, we specially did it. It was specially scripted and we did it and I never saw it! We did it and Thames won it, but what they actually won, I don't know. But I never saw the video. I can't remember much about it except for Zippy with a banana. The script was written by the voice of Zippy and George; Roy Skelton."

The site mentioned in the first post had to pull the clip a while ago.

The use of the Clip was neither approved or authorised by the owners and was an infringement of their rights. RainbowArch website has therefore removed the unauthorised "Twangers" Clip

The video can now be seen on 'YouTube' here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqEPgRc6IE

(Which the original hosting site have also recently added as a new link)... :)

I think there's at least one Doctor Who Christmas Tape from the 70s/80s hanging around somewhere...

Back