• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Razor Blades In Baby Food

Sthenno

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A few months ago I was at work, casually eating sweets from a bowl of them that was kept on the counter for customers. My boss made some kind of comment along the lines of “You wouldn’t catch me doing that/You’re braver than me”, that sort of thing, which I queried with something along the lines of “er….why?”
He responded to this with a brushing-aside gesture and said (this part I remember clearly, because it was barking) “Ooh, well, y’know. My children grew up in an era where people were putting razor blades in baby food, so I’m bound to be cautious…”
Cue much baffled staring on my behalf.
Rather obviously, I asked “Who the hell would put razor blades in baby food?” to which my boss replied, in much earnest, “Terrorists.”

He genuinely believed this, and point blank refused to accept my insistence that this was, quite retina-burningly-obviously, an urban legend.

On my ‘reason-for-leaving’ form when I left the company, I had to resist writing ‘Boss idiot. No grasp on reality whatsoever. Thinks terrorists put razor blades in baby food, for F’s sake.’

Didn't it occur to him that babies don't eat their food straight out of the jar?

A few months ago I was at work, casually eating sweets from a bowl of them that was kept on the counter for customers. My boss made some kind of comment along the lines of “You wouldn’t catch me doing that/You’re braver than me”, that sort of thing, which I queried with something along the lines of “er….why?”

*I* wouldn't, and here's why: they've found high levels of E. coli. bacteria in "public" candy dishes such as the bowls of mints at restaurants. Reason? People use the restroom, don't wash their hands, then go pawing through the dish. :X

I thought that was an urban myth? I've heard the same about bowls of peanuts.

I used to occasionally help myself to a jelly bean from a bowl that we had for customers too until I saw a grubbly little kid pick his nose and then put the same hand in the bowl to rummage for a red one. :nooo:

They were in wrappers, so probably relatively safe...

Definitely razor blade free.

There was a spate of contamination of baby food (or at least a spate of reports... not sure if it actually happened) in the UK in the 1980s/1990s and allegedly that's why the new "pop-up" jar lids were introduced. This was glass shards though as presumably razor blades would be a bit big to get into small jars of baby food.

I'll see if I can find more information.

Jane.

Interesting article here, often either corporate negligence or scams.

No sign of a razor man (or woman) though... possibly busy putting the blades in Hallowe'en apples?

Jane.

More googling has turned up the interesting factoid that about the same time there were concerns that those nasty but un-named chemicals found in glass could allegedly leak into baby food (too many sites to mention, but a search for baby+food+contamination+glass should bring up the main ones - pm me if you want the major ones). Possibly a connection there?

Still no razor-bearing terrorists though, and I'll stop posting after myself as it's becoming embarrasing :oops:

Jane.

I remember back in the early 90's a company recalled all their sweets off the shelves because they contained glass in them, if i remember correctly, the sweets were called "Nerds" and were very brightly coloured.

I remember that story making the national press and TV coverage.

Heavens, I used to love those. I even sent in some boxes and got a red plush Nerd. Was the recall in Britain or...?

edited for spelling

Yes it was in the UK, cant track down a source though.

There have been cases of contaminants in jars of food (including baby food), IIRC, but either for blackmail purposes or because someone had a grudge against the manufacturer and/or the supermarket. There were some prosecutions, so there may well be info on th'Interweb.

In WWII, allied POWs often put razor blades in pig swill in the hope this would hamper the German war effort.

EDIT:

Several examples found on GOOGLE

I remember the razor blades in baby food scare. My memory is notoriously crap, but I did have a baby at the time which is why it stuck in my mind. I'm thinking it would have been 88/89. Somebody trying to extort money from a bank, IIRC.

Anyway, that scare's the main reason why all jars of baby food have a 'safety button' on the lid nowadays - so you can tell easily if it's been opened/tampered with before you buy it.

Sthenno said:
He genuinely believed this, and point blank refused to accept my insistence that this was, quite retina-burningly-obviously, an urban legend.
I think you owe him an apology!

Er...I still don't think it's actually true.

Sthenno said:
Er...I still don't think it's actually true.
From Hansard, 1989-04-26:
Mr. Barry Sheerman (Huddersfield) (by private notice) : To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will make a statement on the contamination of baby food.

The Minister of State, Home Office (Mr. John Patten) : It is difficult to imagine the twisted minds that could mount such a vicious attack on defenceless babies.

Of 17 incidents of baby food being reported as contaminatd since 7 April and 11 more reported today, a number have been recognised as examples of deliberate contamination and are the subject of police inquiries co- ordinated by the Metropolitan police. In some cases there have been blackmail demands. It would not be helpful for police investigations if I were to go into greater detail, as I am sure that the House will readily understand.

Wherever such incidents have been reported, immediate steps have been taken by the police, the manufacturers and the retailers to remove products of the kind that have been found to be contaminated from the stores concerned and to warn the public of the risk. The police are giving these investigations the highest priority. Parents and others looking after babies should in the meantime exercise the greatest care in checking both the seals of baby food containers and their contents before feeding children.

Mr. Sheerman : The Opposition share the deep concern felt by the public in general and the parents of young children and particularly of small infants about this horrible campaign which attacks the most vulnerable members of society. The Oppositon want to know whether the Government understand that this is a co-ordinated attack on the food of a vulnerable part of our society and whether the police are taking sufficiently energetic steps to bring the culprits to justice. We need to know in the House whether the reports in the press that this is a very highly sophisticated criminal activity, perhaps of a Mafia style of operation, are true, or if it is, one, off operation. Do the police know whether that is the case?

The House will wish to know whether the powers under the Food Act 1984 are sufficient to allow local authorities to step in and help the police to protect the public from contaminated food. We do not want the inquirers to be embarrassed, but there have been disturbing reports this morning that large sums of money have already been paid to such blackmailers. I hope that the Minister can reassure us both on that point and also that the police and local authorities are protecting young children from contaminated food.

Mr. Patten : First, I am extremely grateful to the hon. Gentleman for his words of support for what the police and others are doing, and for his words of condemnation, on behalf of the official Opposition, for these foul and despicable attacks, which are of a most cowardly nature and against the vulnerable in our society. I am sure that the whole House is united in that condemnation. Secondly, I assure the hon. Gentleman and the official Opposition that the police are, and have been, doing everything possible to investigate these serious threats to individual safety. Thirdly, I and the Government are convinced that the powers available under the Food Act [etc]
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... ate-1.html

So why don't you think it's true? The historical evidence is against you.

Sorry, was I supposed to psychically sense that was the evidence you were referring to? You should have posted that in the first place, really.

It is good, I wonder why Google brings up nothing? I have to say that one site isn't enough to convince me. Check out all the different variations on the "razor blades in..." story at snopes.

I suppose the other point is that the contamination of baby food in the 80s seems to be the responsibility of a lone nutcase/extortionist rather than a "terrorist". The term "terrorist" implies some sort of political agenda which seems to be missing from this incident.

Quake42 said:
The term "terrorist" implies some sort of political agenda which seems to be missing from this incident.
I suppose in today's paranoid climate of govt. induced fear of terrorists, 'terrorists' is a general grab-bag word for bad guys in general, whatever their precise motivation..

Sthenno said
I wonder why Google brings up nothing?
My earlier post gave a Google-load of finds on the subject - I suppose that because this cruddy Dennis powered website can't be bothered to highlight links, you must have missed it. 8)

I might be being stupid, but I can't find anything in those googles about razor blades in baby food...

Sthenno said:
I might be being stupid, but I can't find anything in those googles about razor blades in baby food...

Granted, there's not an awful lot online about it but it DID happen and it affected me directly and I remember it clearly. It was not told to me by a friend, or a friend of a friend. I personally watched the news broadcasts. I personally checked the seals on jars of baby food. Why would I lie about it?

I did find one article,
here.

(I googled for April 1989 "razor blades" "cow & gate".)

Baby-Food Makers Confront British Contamination Scare

By STEVE LOHR, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: May 2, 1989

LEAD: For the past week Britain has been grappling with its worst-ever case of food tampering. Jars of baby food have been contaminated across the country.

For the past week Britain has been grappling with its worst-ever case of food tampering. Jars of baby food have been contaminated across the country.

Outbreaks of this alarming strain of crime, which can have devastating consequences for the consumer-products companies involved, have been less frequent in Britain than in the United States. And Britain has never experienced catastrophic product-tampering cases like the one in Chicago in 1982, when seven died after taking doses of Tylenol, a Johnson & Johnson pain reliever, that had been laced with cyanide, or like the one in Japan in 1985, when eight people died after drinking fruit juice contaminated by weed killer.

Yet by almost any standard the British case has been dramatic and troubling. Razor blades, pins, caustic soda and slivers of glass have been found in the baby food.

The baby-food makers affected here are the nation's two largest, the British subsidiary of the H. J. Heinz Company, and Cow & Gate, a unit of the Nutricia Corporation of the Netherlands. Just as the drug industry in the United States responded to the potential tampering of food and medicine sold off the shelf by designing tamper-resistant packaging, Heinz and Cow & Gate have announced plans to replace their current jars with ones covered in a special plastic sleeve. And the British Government is studying how to strengthen security in the nation's grocery stores.

A Government minister has branded the contamination ''consumer terrorism,'' while the tabloid press has dubbed it the ''baby food panic.'' Nightly television news broadcasts have carried numerous accounts of distraught mothers who found foreign objects in jars of foods like apple sauce or vegetable puree.

For all the distress, however, there has luckily been only one reported injury: a baby girl who cut her lip.

The British baby-food scare had its origins in late March, when a blackmailer informed the British unit of H. J. Heinz, this nation's largest baby food maker, that unless the company paid him $1.7 million he would contaminate Heinz products. Heinz, as a matter of policy, refused the blackmail request. On April 7, a farmer's wife in Rayleigh, in the southeast, found a pin and caustic acid in a jar of Heinz baby food that also contained a note: ''Warning - the content is poisonous and there are three other unmarked jars on the shelf.''

In the next few weeks, there was a trickle of reports of baby-food contamination. In most cases, local police issued warnings to parents not to open baby-food jars from stores where contamination had been detected.

Cow & Gate, Britain's second-largest baby-food maker, was also a target. The companies and the British police have said they are satisfied the baby food is not being adulterated in the manufacturing process. Trickle Becomes a Wave

By last week, the trickle of reports had become a wave, forcing the police to make a public statement that disclosed the national scale of the problem and that their investigation pointed to a blackmailer. After the public announcement, the number of reported cases jumped sharply, to more than 300. But most of the new cases were ''copy-cat incidents by cranks and publicity seekers,'' according to a spokesman for Scotland Yard.

Last Friday, Heinz announced that it was replacing its existing baby-food stocks with jars that would be covered with a plastic sleeve. Heinz said the new jars would be ready by May 15. Once the newly packaged products are ready, Heinz will take old jars off the shelves and destroy them. In the meantime, the company and the British Department of Health are advising parents that it is safe to feed Heinz food to their children, but only after pouring it out of the jar onto a plate for inspection.

If my word and that article still aren't enough for you, why don't you go in person to a decent library/archive and check their newspapers for late April and early May 1989?

Don't forget to come back and tell us when you find it.

I think I'm just going to have to take your word for it.... a decent library in North Devon would be a miracle!

I do find it really interesting though that something which sounds so much like an urban legend has a basis in fact. I wonder if it could be a case of one or two isolated incidents sparking a national scare, a la can't-think-of-an-example-before-coffee...

Another case.

An extortionist has contaminated adult and baby food in Germany in the hope of gaining millions of euros, police say.

The blackmailer claimed to have poisoned items in German supermarkets, with traces later found in baby food.

Officials in the city of Konstanz say that the threatening email was sent to unspecified food retailers.

It is reported to have warned that food would be poisoned throughout Europe unless 11.7m euros were paid. Police are seeking one man seen on camera.

A nationwide alert for Germany has been issued after officials in the south of the country last week said they were informed that five jars of baby food had been tampered with.

The jars were found to contain ethylene glycol, an odourless toxic liquid. So far there are no reports of any injuries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41429840?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Yesterday when cycling to work I noticed a razorblade in a gutter. It was one of the one-edged sort with a solid ridge along the other side. I though 'Ooer! Better not ride over that!' and wondered briefly what would happen and how it got there.

Forgot about it reading this until just now, how weird.

Yesterday when cycling to work I noticed a razorblade in a gutter. It was one of the one-edged sort with a solid ridge along the other side. I though 'Ooer! Better not ride over that!' and wondered briefly what would happen and how it got there.

Forgot about it reading this until just now, how weird.
Probably dropped by a painter & decorator.

Asda as just issued a recall of baby food due to plastic being found
in some.

A similar, but true thing that has been happening in Hong Kong. (Not sure if this is quite the thread; if someone knows a more appropriate one, I'll move)

Another needle found sticking out of a KMB bus seat in Hong Kong

A male student told media that he boarded the bus at Wong Tai Sin MTR station and when he was about to get off near APM mall on Kwun Tong Road he spotted the needle on a seat on the right side of the vehicle.

“If a granny couldn’t see it and got injured, it would be a big [problem],” the student said.

Back