• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Reality TV gone too far?

_schnor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Nippon Television's (NTV) producers have obviously never heard of the Geneva Convention. If they had, they wouldn't have treated poor Nasubi the way they did. They wouldn't have stripped him naked and shut him in an apartment, alone with no food, furniture, household goods, or entertainment. They wouldn't have kept him there for over a year until he had won 000 in prizes by sending in postcards to contests. They wouldn't have cut him off from the world and they would have told him that he was on nation-wide TV.
Full story

Umm, is Japan a signatory to the Geneva convention? It came up during WWII.

Admittedly my only immediate reference for this is the TV series Changi but John Doyle did do a fair bit of research.

Still, is this any worse than the sort of humiliation they subjected people to in the classic show Gammon (trans: Endurance) which was so beloved of Clive James?

I thought this was going to be about RTE's new reality show CABIN FEVER, ten people shoved onto a tall ship to sail around Ireland, they do tasks and get rewards etc, and every week the public vote for one of them to walk the plank ... Friday 13th there, the ship ran around and was completely destroyed - all on board were OK. So, they gets a new boat and aparently today it was towed into harbour with a busted gearbox ... and we pay €100+ per year licence fee for this sort of thing??!!

Yeah, I saw that on TV a fortnight or so ago, I assume the contestants actually knew how to sail :eek:

Also, I'd guess a ship of that size costs a few quid - how much are we looking at here?

Do water going vessels normally have gearboxes? :confused:

beakboo said:

Hmm, I was wondering about that, where's Rynner when we need him?

schnor said:
Yeah, I saw that on TV a fortnight or so ago, I assume the contestants actually knew how to sail :eek:

Also, I'd guess a ship of that size costs a few quid - how much are we looking at here?

Nope they were regular joes who were taught surival skills before being chucked aboard ... there was a proper crew for the ship tho'

there's probably a bit about it on http://www.rte.ie

schnor said:

Nah, give some extroverted fool enougth beer and they'll be convinced they can anyway. Well it makes good telly i guess :rolleyes:

*shudders at the thought of Jade from big brother 3 type caractor drunk as a skunk insisting she can 'drive' the boat while the other contestants cower in fear by the life rafts*

Has anyone there heard of plans to airdrop one of the evictees from Australian Big Brother into the British version to boost ratings?

She's apparently a bit of alright, having already been a model for one of those "Gentlemen's" magazines (either FHM or Ralph before ending up on BB. It's alleged that the British producers are desperate to get ratings back, and think her tendency to get naked on camera might help.

beakboo said:
Yes, to match the engine revs to the appropriate revs for the prop (which depends on prop pitch, size, etc.) Also for Ahead / Astern.

I once had use of an outboard with a reverse gear. When first used after it had been in for winter overhaul by professional engineers, as soon as it was put into reverse, the prop fell off! (The wazzocks had forgotten to replace a retaining clip. We were able to recover the prop at low tide.)

And going completely off-thread, I once had a motor bike which went to the garage for repairs: after this I couldn't ride it as it kept stalling when I let the clutch in. It turned out they'd somehow put the gearbox back in 'back-to-front', so all the gears were selecting wrongly - selecting First was actually giving me Third! (Plonkers!)

Pilfered from http://www.rte.ie -

04/07/2003
Cabin Fever show in the dock again
'Cabin Fever' ship, the Johanna Lucretia, is in port at Killybegs with mechanical problems.

The replacement ship for the original Cabin Fever, which was wrecked on the rocks of Tory Island on Friday 13 June, arrived at Killybegs pier this morning with gearbox trouble.

Stuart Switzer of Coco Television, the company making the series, said they were not sure when the ship would set sail again.

The Johanna Lucretia was in the Killala area off the north Mayo coast when the problem was discovered.

The Johanna Lucretia left Sligo on Tuesday evening en route to Galway after a re-launch of 'Cabin Fever' on Monday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me again -

Of the orginal "crew" only six of them wanted to continue with the series, two replacements were recruited, and one of them has now jumped ship and is at a secret location ...

Of course, no-one could accuse Big Brother of desperately trying to boost flagging ratings...:rolleyes:
The latest eviction from Channel 4's Big Brother house was delayed after the premises were evacuated following the discovery of a suspect package at the television studios.
But the security alert turned out to be a false alarm when the suspect box discovered in studios near the house was found to only contain electrical equipment, said Hertfordshire Police.

Army bomb disposal experts examined the Elstree complex before declaring it safe on Friday night.

It is thought the alert began after the sniffer dog reacted to pyrotechnic residue in the stage area.

The housemates cheered when they were told they would have to evacuate the house, according to a Big Brother spokesman.
Allegedly Ch4 are pleased with this years' ratings, but according to some reports nobody's actually watching it at all - maybe the prospect of the place exploding might just entice some viewers...:).

Yeah, anoushka (sp?) the first evictee will spend a few weeks in the Aussie series, plus in the next US bb series they're putting housemates ex's in with them without telling them :D

schnor said:
Yeah, anoushka (sp?) the first evictee will spend a few weeks in the Aussie series, plus in the next US bb series they're putting housemates ex's in with them without telling them :D
The current Australian series is almost over. Still, as I don't watch it, they may well have inserted one of the British evictees.

And if they've announced it now, won't the contestants realise it? Or are they really that thick?

Or are you being amazingly witty, and my virus affected senses are unable to detect?

Trying to remain amazingly witty :p apparently she's already gone, but I haven't been able to find anything yet - it's definitely not the next series though :)

Back