• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Red Dead Redemption

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I know there are a few Western fans out there.....so has anyone else played Red Dead Redemption yet?

I am finding it to be extremely awesome.

It's only just been released out here. Been wanting to check it out though. Is there a storyline to it? All I know is that it's got cowboys :lol:

It was only released on Friday here too....but so far I haven't really touched the main story missions.

But I have...

Played poker
Played blackjack
Herded some cattle
Lassooed and broken in some wild stallions
Had some whisky at the saloon
Saved someone from getting lynched by shooting the rope
Collected some herbs
Been a bounty hunter
Bought some land
Gone prospectin'

...so far.

sadly it only appears to be on consoles? any news of a pc version?

I've spent far too much time sat in the dark this weekend playing it, but I'm hooked. It's great, so much to do, and the characters you meet in the missions are so funny. Far better than GTA4.

Not much to tenuously link it to FT topics, but there are rumours of haunted tumbleweed, and I can't help looking at the birds and hoping there is a thunderbird. :D

Right. I'm sold. As soon as I get paid next week I'm buying it. Herding cattle? Lauren says YES.

From the adverts, it looks like it could just as easily be called Grand Theft Horse-o.

Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing...

Its nice to see the town drunk is called 'Irish' cause everyone knows that we are all just a bunch of drunken idiots ;)

feen5 said:
Its nice to see the town drunk is called 'Irish' cause everyone knows that we are all just a bunch of drunken idiots ;)
Well at least its not scottish for a change...a different stereotype same old shi.
Still want the game to come out on pc though lol

As a non-Irish drunk I object to this stereotype.
Not all dipsos are all "Top o' the mornin' to ya", you know, and I, for one, am sick of it! ;)

I am a scottish drunk but we are not all like that...you do believe me dont you?

I haven't looked at this game at all, but if, as it sounds, it's intended to give the viewer a Classic Western experience, it'll have to stick to the stereotypes used in the Classic Western. Be on the lookout for hookers with Hearts of Gold, grizzled prospectors who make good sidekicks, horses that do fantastic tricks, prim schoolmarms, high-noon showdowns, cattle barons vs. sheep ranchers, city slickers who are also card sharps, and let's not talk about what to expect from the Indians and the rare black folks.

If you see any Scots, they will not be drunk, but they will be stingy. And grizzled. And male. I'm pretty sure Hollywood thinks Scotland has no native females and that Scots men have to leave home to find mates. Irish women, however - yowza! Red-haired and fiery with plenty of spunk. And, of course, a drunken pa.

A pal who is playing it tells me that there is no option to decline any of the sub-quests.

ArthurASCII said:
A pal who is playing it tells me that there is no option to decline any of the sub-quests.

He's wrong :lol:

Sorry.......you just walk away if you don't want to help.

I am off to look for a hooker with a heart of gold!!!!!!!!( not really honest)

feen5 said:

Let's not forget that you have to rescue him from being mercilessly beaten by Welshy and Frenchie.

Sorry everyone - I've had to remove the Irish Times article on request of the journalist who wrote it, on copyright grounds.

I've got to remind you - anything posted to these forums legally counts as being published and normal rules apply, ie you can post links to an article (admittedly not helpful if that article is behind a paywall), you can summarise it, you can discuss it, you can even quote short excerpts, but you can't post it in full. If in doubt PM me. My guess is that with the increase in paid-for syndication and pay walls media organisations are going to be trying to crack down on unauthorised use of their content, so be careful out there.

Oh, and my boyfriend bought this game yesterday and also loves it (despite being a bit Irish). Don't think I'm going to be able to drag him out of the Wild West for a while...

Wild West computer game Red Dead Redemption hit by bug

A top-selling computer game - five years in the making - has been hit by an embarrassing glitch just days after its release.

Wild West epic Red Dead Redemption, which was inspired by Sergio Leone, features unintentionally funny scenes of bizarre animal-human hybrids.

The graphics bug causes one character to appear as half-woman, half-donkey, which computer gamers can later take for a ride.

The Mirror

Found this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdCvN-ukRY

Surely that's more than just a "glitch"? Lol...

There's a lover's lane monster in the San Antonio area called "the Donkey Lady," which at a motif level forms a transitional figure between La Llorona with the Lamia. Perhaps they intended to reference her?

In the posted clip of the flying people, it appeared that distant flying figures had the classic soaring turkey vulture silhouette, but at a certain distance they resolved into human beings and started flapping (which TVs hardly ever do; mostly when launching into a headwind and braking for a landing). That at least should tell them where in the code to look for the problem.

Was the avatar really shooting down flying targets with a pistol??? You'd think they'd hire somebody with a better knowledge of guns to write the weapon code in a Western game.

Jen_O said:
Sorry everyone - I've had to remove the Irish Times article on request of the journalist who wrote it, on copyright grounds.

I've got to remind you - anything posted to these forums legally counts as being published and normal rules apply, ie you can post links to an article (admittedly not helpful if that article is behind a paywall), you can summarise it, you can discuss it, you can even quote short excerpts, but you can't post it in full. If in doubt PM me. My guess is that with the increase in paid-for syndication and pay walls media organisations are going to be trying to crack down on unauthorised use of their content, so be careful out there.

Oh, and my boyfriend bought this game yesterday and also loves it (despite being a bit Irish). Don't think I'm going to be able to drag him out of the Wild West for a while...

Jen

Sorry if I caused any hassle. I often post IT stuff here. I guess the journo in question is freelance and needs to protect his stuff.

Full text at link.

Will we ever beat the Irish stereotype?

A new video game is causing offence with its troublesome, drunken Irish character. Will we always be cast as the Drunken Paddies on screen and is it our own fault, asks BRIAN O'CONNELL

WHILE SOME are welcoming it as the biggest gaming release of the past decade, it seems Red Dead Redemption has failed to get a critical fáilte romhat here in Ireland. This is because one of the characters in the game, namely the town drunk, is called “Irish” and is, the game says, “usually found stumbling around and getting into trouble with sober townsfolk while attempting to talk his way out”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fea ... 39965.html

Back