• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Red Moons

unicycle said:
Oops - it was in the west as you said, rynner!
Any volcanic eruptions around? When Mount St Helens blew there where spectacular sunsets for a long while after.
Maybe it was just all the dust from the M11.

Oh I thought you meant 5:30 Am. I get it now. Ok Sorry Rynner!
As you can see, currently being a loser that sleeps till noon, I truly have no clue WHEN the sun rises. LOL

Glad to see I'm not the only one noticing red moons lately. Although I'm in Australia, not England.
I almost shat myself when I saw a red moon at the beach the other month. I had just previously been swearing at God for letting me kick my toe. :_omg:

Re: Red Moon

Lord_Flashheart said:
red moons are quite rare occorances

Interesting. They're uncommon, but certainly not rare in the midwestern United States. I suspect it might be something to do with our being in the middle of a large continent, instead of surrounded by seas, but I don't really know.

Ok, so heres that picture that i was going on about earlier, its not edited in any way, thats what the world looked like that morning for a very short period of time.

Better late then never...

Joyzxqk,

even if it transpires that it has no Fortean significance that's a beautiful photo...

Red Moon set to dive behind Earth
A total lunar eclipse will be visible on Saturday from Europe, Africa, the Americas, and much of Asia - if the weather is kind and gives clear skies.
The Moon regularly passes into the Earth's shadow and becomes dimmer. It happens about every six months or so.

A lunar eclipse has no great importance astronomically but can be enjoyed by many people without special equipment.

Skywatchers should train their eyes on the Moon from 2215 GMT, when it enters the outer edges of our planet's shadow.

In the UK, the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England is using the eclipse to highlight the problem of light pollution.

Majestic clockwork

Mid-eclipse takes place between 0106 and 0131 GMT Sunday as the Moon transits the southern edge of the Earth's shadow.

WHERE IT WILL BE SEEN

America, Europe, Africa and parts of Asia
Dust and cloud in Earth's atmosphere may affect the Moon's colour
Totality is quite short this time because the Moon only passes just inside the full shadow of the Earth, and the Moon's southern edge, in particular, should remain fairly bright.

As the show progresses, the Moon will get dimmer and, possibly, turn reddish during mid-eclipse, when the only light that can reach the lunar surface is red light refracted through the Earth's atmosphere.

Astronomers will be scrutinising the Moon's surface through telescopes to note how its appearance changes as the Sun is obscured by the Earth.

The Moon leaves the last bit of shadow at 0422 GMT.

Skywatchers in North America will see the eclipse begin in twilight as the Moon rises on Saturday evening. It will all be over by US midnight.

Imperturbable serenity

Although lunar eclipses have no great scientific significance, they are a spectacle of nature that delights and enthrals.

In the past things were different. It was a portent from the sky, possibly a sign of divine displeasure.

(More details on page, including pics and diagrams.)

The moon tends to turn red around a lunar eclipse. Especially during the eclipse, I've noticed.

Driving back along the East Lancs road this afternoon, I had the most
spectacular red sunset behind me and a glorious reddish moon arising
before me. I was sorry when the local scenery hid either of them. :)

Hi wondered if the eclipse might be mentioned somewhere here. Today's my birthday (well it is in the UK even if it's 2:22am sunday in Thailand ;)) and I found it somehow significant that it was on both an eclipse and a full moon (which is also the reason they have a special festival here where they launch small hot air balloons into the sky for good luck - an awesome sight).

Anyway the eclipse may be visible here at dawn, so I'm gonna try and get up for it, but wondered if anyone with a digital camera could get some shots of it for me, I'd love to see it even second hand.

Sorry, dot23, we are absolutely socked in cloudcover this evening where I live. Perhaps someone else. And again, Happy Birthday!

dot23 said:
I found it somehow significant that it was on both an eclipse and a full moon
That's because you only ever get a lunar eclipse on the full moon.

(Or perhaps when the shadow of a ginormous mothership obscures the moon! :D )

Cloudy here too

Well the BBC website said the whole thingy should begin c. 22:15 tonight - have just been out with the binoculars and although the sky is clear and the image crisp the hue is completely unchanged - try again later.

true, however full eclipse is between 0106 and 0131, so should be very gradual, and initially hard to spot. Current time is 2220, no sign here either, managed to get out of bed tho' ;)

not sure how long I can stay awake,mond you...

Rebirth of Selena

Watched the lunar eclipse from 5 pm to 7:15 pm PST. Absolutely spectacular (too late to write spooktacular, missed Halloween by a week), cold night and clear skies here in Pacific Northwest. The crescent rose from behind a forested mountain, white and clear, with no red or orange tint as had been predicted.

I was expecting a red moon myself, but that's how it looked in my area - bright, clear and gradually clearing towards the top. I wasn't disappointed, anyway. Funny thing, a TV camera from the roof of a skyscraper downtown did show shots of red moon, so I guess these differences are atmospheric. Maybe here in a suburb, away from car pollution, the air was clearer than downtown.

More Lunacy here

The fact it's written by someone calling herself 'Patricia Diane Cota-Robles', who 'is editor and publisher of the monthly newsletter Take Charge of Your Life and president of New Age Study of Humanity's Purpose, an Arizona-based non-profit she founded in 1980 with Kay Eileen Meyer' does not fill me with confidence.

'For over 30 years, Patricia has traveled the world lecturing and teaching workshops to help awakening souls fulfill their Divine Potential. She has been a marriage counselor, radio talk show host and author of several books, including "Stargate of the Heart," "What on Earth is Going On?" and "Take Charge of Your Life ." '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3255285.stm

The BBC have a series of photos showing the lunar eclipse (mostly over Britain). Number 2 in the series is pretty much what is saw in Kent between 1 & 2am at near-totality (the sky was more bluey-grey due to light pollution.) I was quite pleased as it was my first opportunity to use some very old but powerful binocculars left to me by my great-uncle - it almost felt like he'd bequeathed me the experience. :)

My neck ached like hell though what with the earlier fireworks display.

Its that time again:

Total eclipse to paint Moon red

The Moon could turn blood-red during Tuesday's total lunar eclipse, the UK's Royal Astronomical Society says.

The total eclipse will already be under way as the Moon rises on Tuesday evening but will only become visible as the Sun sets and the sky darkens.

A dim reddish-brown Moon should climb slowly above the south-east horizon.

Society member, Dr Jacqueline Mitton, said: "Lunar eclipses are a fascinating and beautiful phenomenon, and no two are quite alike."

Cone-shaped shadow

The total eclipse will begin at 2052 BST and end at 2208 BST.

Dr Mitton said: "If the weather is kind to us, this could be a very interesting sight, with the eclipsed Moon becoming more and more obvious as the sky gradually darkens after sunset and the Moon gets higher in the sky."

Lunar eclipses occur when the Sun, Earth and Moon are in a near-perfect line in space.

The Moon travels through the long cone-shaped shadow the Earth casts in space.

The only light that can reach the Moon's surface at this point has been refracted through our planet's atmosphere. This light takes on a red tinge - depending on the amount of dust in the Earth's atmosphere.

In November last year, a total lunar eclipse was visible from Europe, Africa, the Americas and much of Asia.

The BBC weather forecast for Tuesday night is for rain over Scotland and Northern Ireland, extending to much of Wales and parts of south-west and north England.

Showers elsewhere will fall back to coastal districts of the east and south. It will become mainly dry in many central parts of England and Scotland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3681773.stm

Got my binos to hand but cloud cover in the South-East looks fairly dense...:(

Back