• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Remembering Things Not Your Own

I remember other things now. I dream sometimes that I get shot or stabbed. Now in real life I have never been either. However in the dreams I can feel exactly the feeling when a blade goes into your belly. YOu might think now how would she know the comparison. I don't know, mabe from cutting my finger but worse?
Ok, that might explain the knifings but what about getting shot. I can't come up with anything similar feeling but in my dream I can feelit. It is a strange sensation. Not particularly painful at first but somewhat warm and a little searing. Then the blood flows down my body and slowly I can feel that I am badly wounded and getting weaker.

I had these dreams about 5 times in my life so far and they always baffle me in their realness [?]. Sometimes I even die...but then I wake up. Sometimes I don't. Is it ancestral memory?
This was a repeated dream of mine - not had it for about thirty years now. I've talked about it more on threads here debating experiences suggesting past life recall, but the essence is: I was one of a party of soldiers escaping into the countryside from a doomed city, identified tentatively as being in the Western Ukraine or Poland in about 1944. (I don't want to place undue stress on this, as I've always been interested in the historical period - it's possible my sleeping mind elaborated details I'd learnt in the normal way, in this life, and instructed the "wardrobe department" appropriately). The section of (German?) soldiers I was with got bushwhacked by the Russians and I experienced being hit by a succession of bullets as a series of kicks across my chest. Then the same sort of warm liquid flow that you recount, followed by numbness and waking up again in this life.

AgProv one of my friends used to have memories of being a soldier fighting from a trench.
She also said she had dreams of being my sister in ancient Egypt and even bought some kind of pyramid thing where she would meditate.

Interesting. A great-uncle (well, relative on the same family tree) of mine was aboard that submarine and was one of the crew members who managed to get out alive.
(He then capped this feat by escaping alive from a second sunken submarine in the Med in WW2. Well, he had form by then). You don't have any family connection to anyone who was on the crew, do you?
Sounds as though someone(?) was looking out for your great uncle.

Crinoline news -

Was watching an old Top Of The Pops (weekly British TV pop programme) wherein The Carpenters' There's A Kind Of Hush was played.
When artistes couldn't appear personally and as videos weren't yet widely available the Pan's People dance troupe would perform to the music.

So today I saw four dancers swinging and swaying along in elegant grey crinoline dresses, sometimes artistically superimposed over a globe to illustrate the lines

There's a kind of hush
All over the world tonight
All over the world

and had a strong impression that the crinolines represented the human cochlea, a hollow bone situated inside the inner ear.
The crinolines' shape suggested it, along with that swirling, spinning, spiral movement suggesting vibrations moving inside the cochlea, and of course the association with sound. Even the colour was right.

Well, if Michelangelo could represent the structure of the human brain on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Flick Colby might certainly muse upon the cochlea.
Artists, y'see. They can't help themselves.

Here's the video.
I present to you: the Four Dancing Cochleas.

The term 'cochlea' comes from a Greek word for... snail. Yes, it's all about ME. :hoff:

There's no way I would've picked up upon that; nor, I assume, would the vast majority of the programme's viewers. How on Earth did you figure it out? It's brilliant.

There's no way I would've picked up upon that; nor, I assume, would the vast majority of the programme's viewers. How on Earth did you figure it out? It's brilliant.
There's not a shred of evidence that this is actually the case. It's just how it came across to me. :wink2:
There'd be input from the costume department of course.

I reckon that it is the kind of clever 'touch' the people in charge might've added; a nice addition to the charm of the choreography (and also of the song).

One of the classic TOTP moments was when Dexy’s Midnight Runners ‘Jackie Wilson Said’ was in the charts & they appeared with a large photo of darts player Jocky Wilson behind them.

PastedGraphic-1.png

Crinoline news -

Was watching an old Top Of The Pops (weekly British TV pop programme) wherein The Carpenters' There's A Kind Of Hush was played.
When artistes couldn't appear personally and as videos weren't yet widely available the Pan's People dance troupe would perform to the music.

So today I saw four dancers swinging and swaying along in elegant grey crinoline dresses, sometimes artistically superimposed over a globe to illustrate the lines

There's a kind of hush
All over the world tonight
All over the world

and had a strong impression that the crinolines represented the human cochlea, a hollow bone situated inside the inner ear.
The crinolines' shape suggested it, along with that swirling, spinning, spiral movement suggesting vibrations moving inside the cochlea, and of course the association with sound. Even the colour was right.

Well, if Michelangelo could represent the structure of the human brain on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Flick Colby might certainly muse upon the cochlea.
Artists, y'see. They can't help themselves.

Here's the video.
I present to you: the Four Dancing Cochleas.

The term 'cochlea' comes from a Greek word for... snail. Yes, it's all about ME. :hoff:
Ah, Pan's People.
Lovely Babs.

I don't know what her name was.

Fletcher- Porridge.

One of the classic TOTP moments was when Dexy’s Midnight Runners ‘Jackie Wilson Said’ was in the charts & they appeared with a large photo of darts player Jocky Wilson behind them.

View attachment 75708
Talking of when artistes didn't appear in person... Husband told me several years back that we had one of the best nights out of our lives one Thursday night at a local folk club in Birmingham where one of Dexy's Midnight Runners turned up and we were singing with him all night. I have zero memory of this. None. Nada. Never even recall anyone talking about it after we sobered up. Apparently they played their video on TOTP that very night as we were out with him.

Re. remembering things not your own, I once had a vivid dream about being on a train packed with WW1 soldiers. I was trying to persuade them to get off the train and not go to the front! The thing that struck me as interesting was, they were from Inniskilling. I was researching my own great uncles who died in WW1 around that time (in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and the West Yorkshires) so nothing supernatural, just that was in my head, I guess. But I remember going down the carriage trying to persuade these soldiers to leg it!

Last edited:

View attachment 75708
Didn't they also once show a picture of Slade during the Top Ten countdown when they'd show a picture of the artist and the number - should have been Sade?

Talking of when artistes didn't appear in person... Husband told me several years back that we had one of the best nights out of our lives one Thursday night at a local folk club in Birmingham where one of Dexy's Midnight Runners turned up and we were singing with him all night. I have zero memory of this. None. Nada. Never even recall anyone talking about it after we sobered up. Apparently they played their video on TOTP that very night as we were out with him.

Re. remembering things not your own, I once had a vivid dream about being on a train packed with WW1 soldiers. I was trying to persuade them to get off the train and not go to the front! The thing that struck me as interesting was, they were from Inniskilling. I was researching my own great uncles who died in WW1 around that time (in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and the West Yorkshires) so nothing supernatural, just that was in my head, I guess. But I remember going down the carriage trying to persuade these soldiers to leg it!
Reminds me of a dream equally vivid of being given the last rites by a padre from the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders following some battle or other. He put a bible on my chest before I expired. Why that regiment in particular I've no idea.

I suppose Legs & Co's former incarnation of Pan's People is pretty Fortean, in name if nothing else. Why Pan?
Wiki says

After considering other names, including Dionysus's Darlings they agreed on the name Pan's People, named after the Greek god Pan as the "god of dance, music and debauchery".

which came well across to me, aged about 10, when they first popped up on TV.
I'd read all the carefully-Bowdlerised Greek and Roman myths that were available to children at the time. We knew who Pan was. :cool:

Wiki says

which came well across to me, aged about 10, when they first popped up on TV.
I'd read all the carefully-Bowdlerised Greek and Roman myths that were available to children at the time. We knew who Pan was. :cool:
Yes, Pan and some of his...umm... more questionable exploits! I just wondered why settle on that form of name? Most dance troups of the time were named after the person who set them up or the lead artist - I wonder what prompted them to go down the route of Greek mythology?

Reminds me of a dream equally vivid of being given the last rites by a padre from the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders following some battle or other. He put a bible on my chest before I expired. Why that regiment in particular I've no idea.
Yes, my only knowledge of WW1 was to do with the very precise bits of the war as they concerned my grandad (who survived) and his brother and brother in law, who didn't who were in Yorkshire regiments and in the Royal Artillery (trench mortars). Inniskilling seemed very precise and out of my very narrow knowledge - but I guess I will have seen mention of the Inniskilling Fusiliers somewhere, and just forgotten it..? It was a train full of Irish soldiers and the word Inniskilling came into my head or I saw it on something or one of them told me that's who they were, during the dream, probably (I forget now). They seemed so happy and full of life and I knew they were going to their deaths. It's not my story and so far as I know, no overlap with it (maybe I should double check where they were compared to where my Yorkshire soldiers were?)

Yes, Pan and some of his...umm... more questionable exploits! I just wondered why settle on that form of name? Most dance troups of the time were named after the person who set them up or the lead artist - I wonder what prompted them to go down the route of Greek mythology?
Has a weirdly Gerald Gardner feel to it...

I wasn't clued-up about mythology, so always assumed it was 'Pants People' or else people who owned pans.
I can't remember what I thought now, but knowing me, and despite me being well up on mythology from an early age (thanks dad), I bet I thought it was a reference to Peter Pan... Which is creepy but on brand for what we now know of the BBC at that time.

Back