• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Remote Viewing Experiments (How To; Conducted Online)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Remote Viewing

These are the results in roughly the order I got them. Do you see any common themes?!

1. So what I got was a raffia like substance, White color not associated with the raffia, a sense of outdoors, ?a picnic? (Intaglio)

2. Landscape, daytime, English-looking, low green-grey hills in background, cloudy sky, green fields in foreground, big pointy lemon-yellow thing in middle distance looking a bit like a Chinese tower. (Annasdottir)

3. Is it a Christmas scene? Snowman with a big carrot nose? The words November or December? A robin? (Cursed)

4. Palm tree on the right, beach, sea to the left, blue sky, no people .....? (Dark detective)

5. OK, Rynner, my impression is of something with a brown dog in it. (Carole)

6. This is propably wrong but I get a picture of a big dog sitting on a lawn. (ufonerd)

7. Outdoors. Light Wind. Patchy Clouds. Lots of green Green. A grove of trees on the left, but not the subject. Open on the right side, maybe water. Green hills/mountains in the background. Horizon about 2/3 of the way towards the top of the photo. (mike legs)

8. ...a picture of a boat appeared in my mind, it had a huge sail and a very fat man falling off it appearred to have been drawn by a child. (Mr. Chopper)

9. I got trees and maybe water....its probably not right but, in the aid of science I'll share my try...... (Jon Nash )

10. Is a furry animal, perhaps a dog, involved? (Justin Anstey)

The picture actually shows Dragon Boat racing. It was taken in Falmouth, but these events take place all over UK in summer (and probably elsewhere.) No dogs, robins, trees, sky! (What is this thing with dogs?!) Each boat carries a number, but no-one mentioned numbers. Lots of people and action, but most 'views' were pretty static. Intaglio was closest, I think: the boats have white hulls, it is outdoors, and 'picnic' has a suggestion of people having a good time. Not sure about raffia, but that could be a sort of metaphor for the flashing, splashing paddles.

So (puts on Ann Robinson voice):
"Intaglio is this week's Far-Sighted One. The rest of you are blind as bats - Goodbye!"

Any comments? A new picture shortly.

CURSES! The thingy to attach the picture file doesn't seem to have worked! I'll try again later.

The Picture

(I hope)

B*gg*r it! Failed again! Or is it just my machine? - the thread title in the forum shows a paperclip as if the file has been added.

The first picture can now be seen here:
http://website.lineone.net/~rjdownham/x96dh2b.jpg

NEW PICTURE Deadline midnight Friday 16th November.

I have put a new picture on my desktop. This time it is a B & W photo, but you may still get colour impressions (eg, green grass, red postbox, etc). Just to focus your imaginations a little, the picture was taken in the county of Sussex, UK, sometime in the 60s.

Happy Dreams!

Hmmm, what are the odds of three people out of ten mentioning dogs? That seems pretty weird.

Hey, I thought remote viewing was about identifying places rather than what's in an image file stored somewhere. Perhaps there's a dog hanging around your website hosts' HQ.

-Justin.

Fair comments. I just thought I'd ring the changes a bit. A file no. of letters and numbers is a bit impersonal, so I'd thought I'd try a few human-type clues instead, which paranormal researchers claim is more succesful. The fact that it's B & W is almost irrelevent, as it doesn't stop you 'receiving' colour clues. And the place and time are pretty wide limits - it should just filter out more extreme ideas like the Gobi Desert, Antartica, Buckingham Palace, etc

The type of RV that identifies places sometimes relies on a human 'sender' - in this case that is me. (I've put the image on my desk top to keep it in my mind.) So you can either try to read my computer or my mind. (But if anyone gets it right, I'm giving up - I don't really want you lot snooping round inside my head!)

Let's see how it works out, eh?

To quote Professor Denzil Dexter of the Fast Show: "The results were disappointing." :) My powers were significantly weakened by sunspot activity last week, though my vision did contain water which many in the psychic biz might consider a hit.
I'd be careful about selecting the image - maybe pick something a little "off-the-wall" maybe rather than a holiday snap which usually contain country landscapes, beaches, or grinning people standing next to interesting things, all of which could be guessed. I think a sea dog should avoid using images of anything vaguely nautical too!:D

A precise scientific experiment never springs into being fully formed. There is always a lot of messing about in various ways while people try to get a handle on things. Only gradually does it become clear what they want to measure and how.

Keeping the variables the same in this case might mean only accepting readings from the same people as before! Another variation might be for a non-participant to receive the readings and analyse them before I reveal the picture. The analyst could then say which readings (if any) came close to being hits. This of course is the tricky, subjective part. If anything significant does happen, I'll know it, the winning guesser will know it, but will that convince any hard-line Skeptics? I doubt it! There would be suggestions of collusion or cheating. (There's none so blind as them that won't see.)

And what would be more significant - one person making a near perfect guess while the others are rubbish, or most people getting some elements of the image right?

So I see this as primarily entertainment. But keep the ideas coming!

PS: I finished writing the above, found there were no new posts to investigate, so went off surfing the web. The first thing I found was this
http://www.anomalist.com/gonzoscience/coldfusion1.html
which echoes some of my points about experiments and sceptics!

Dark Detective said:
I'd be careful about selecting the image - maybe pick something a little "off-the-wall" maybe rather than a holiday snap which usually contain country landscapes, beaches, or grinning people standing next to interesting things, all of which could be guessed. I think a sea dog should avoid using images of anything vaguely nautical too!:D
I have no holiday snaps since I can't afford holidays!

As for being a sea-dog, true, I have been, but I don't think people should be influenced by what they think they know about me, because I've done many other things too and have many interests. (I won't list them all here for fear of confusing things further!) But just for the record, I've never been in a Dragon Boat, which is mainly water games for landlubbers (with more than a hint of wet T-shirt)!

I have a wide variety of my own photos, and I could of course find a million others on the net and elsewhere. It was certainly my intention to use a wide variety of pictures with various distinctive features, because if someone sees an arrow, say, and there is an arrow in the picture, it is easier to classify that element as a hit. But what do people think - should I restrict the images to pictures of (eg) places?

I'm still not sure about this idea of trying to describe in visual terms something that doesn't have any actual physical existence.

-J

Justin Anstey said:
Hmmm, what are the odds of three people out of ten mentioning dogs? That seems pretty weird.

.... Perhaps there's a dog hanging around your website hosts' HQ.

-Justin.
Well, I can definitely say that is not the case!

The picture only existed in my photo album and on my computer until AFTER the Friday night deadline. I only uploaded it into my webspace on Saturday after I found the FT board would not accept attachments for some reason (it did a few days back).

"I'm still not sure about this idea of trying to describe in visual terms something that doesn't have any actual physical existence."

That's history for you! The events depicted in the picture did happen, and a description of the scene is what is required.

On another level, the photograph itself (and its negative) does exist as a physical object right now, just as the bit of my hard-drive that records the image exists now. Also, the image on my desktop could be seen by anyone in the room - it is as real as my desklamp, say.

I decided to use photos because that way I can show people the target afterwards, which seems appropriate for an online experiment. I could have asked people to guess all sorts of stuff, like what colour is my wallpaper, but then I'd have had to photograph it to show you - it was simpler to start with a photo!

But all this 'ere Flossy-fizing don't butter no parsnips. If no-one gets meditating, we won't have an experiment to discuss!

Justin Anstey said:

Hey, I thought remote viewing was about identifying places rather than what's in an image file stored somewhere. Perhaps there's a dog hanging around your website hosts' HQ.

-Justin.

Quite right, Justin, and I bet there was a dog somewhere on one of those boats!

Carole

:D Om :D but I wasn't exactly accurate.
The photo in electronics is fine. RV experiments seemed to work well when the object is only a lead toward an existing target.

Rynner, how do I participate in the next one. Do I post my suggestion here somewhere or do I e-mail you?

Hit the Private Message (PM) button - that seemed to work well last time, and avoids people being influenced by other people's ideas.

Happy Dreams!

Hey folks, is this what you're all doing?

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/11/11/stiusausa01012.html

...because I've only had two entires for this week's image so far!

Assuming the experiment doesn't die off through lack of interest, I'm going to refer to the targets as 'Images' from now on, with no other clues. So next week's target (not chosen) will be Image 3. This will give me the option of using images other than photographs, which might allow for more interesting symbolism to be involved. (Although personally I find photos pretty interesting anyway - the way they capture the fleeting moment for our contemplation.)

Sorry the earth ray thought forces (copyright Joyce Grenfell) weren't working. PM you soon

I'm a little early with my reminder about this week's RV experiment because I may be out most of tomorrow night.

Not many PMs have winged their way to my Inbox yet -
BUT one that has is the closest hit we've had so far!

Perhaps giving clues DOES help - although I can't think of any conventional reason why "Sussex, in the 60s" should lead to this particular image!

Keep dreaming!

PS: it's not a dinosaur (or it wasn't, anyway...)

RESULTS FOR IMAGE NO.2

Here are the readings received this week:

1. I have in mind an old building, a church or a farm house, and a stone wall. (Fladdermus)

2. Is it a car?....the only colour i get is white......there is a building or some structure (in the background?).....at least i didnt see a dog!! (Jon Nash)

3. A structure, possibly a building, on the left something like a tower. Large area of glass. Grey and green on the structure, Something on display - museum? gallery? Don't get the outdoorsy feeling so much. Theres an entrance on the right but not in the structure. (Intaglio)

4. The very first image I saw when I read your message was a motorbike & sidecar, then a butterfly. (I think that's my unconscious symbol for the 60's though - influenced by your clues!) (Lily Lodestone)

5. Lots of big, fluffy white clouds against a deep, blue sky! (Carole)

6. never give myself a chance to tune in but either a lamb (or sheep) but mainly I am getting one of those old telephone boxes and a house ??? (lycanthrope)

The actual image was:
[Curses! 'Attach file' is still not working. I'll have to upload it to a website - back soon!]

Right, the image is on the link below:

it shows a young man on a motorbike.

So this week's top Rocker is clearly Lily Lodestone - the rest of you seem to be Mods with punctures!

I'm off to find a new image - will post again when it's on my desktop.

Image 2

RV Experiment: IMAGE 3

Image 3 has been selected, and is on my desktop as of now.

If you would like a weak clue (along the lines of last week's), click here: (CLUE)
(This is just a very short RTF file.)

The usual rules: PM me with impressions of subject, colour, and anything else that occurs to you. Deadline midnight next Friday, 23rd November.

In view of the relative success with Image 2 (Jon Nash got a form of motorised transport, which would have been close if Lily hadn't scooped the pool!), could you also add "with / without clue" as appropriate to your PM.

(Some would say we're all clueless here, but let them scoff...)

BTW, webspace is short on the website I'm using to store stuff, so each image will be replaced by its successor when I give the results. So until the 'Attach File' option is working, people won't be able to see earlier images on this thread. This might confuse any newcomers who start at the top ofthe thread, but shouldn't matter otherwise.

Freaky!

I'm really surprised about that, I'm normally rubbish at these sorts of tests.
I remember being hopeless at the free xener / (zener?) cards you got with a copy of The Unexplained!

Put it down to beginners luck....

Lily

I think it would be fascinating if the best Viewer of each week told us how they did it.

Lying on the floor, eyes shut? Drinking Special Brew? Staring at an abstract painting? Listening to music? Music... pop songs... "Pictures of Lily"...

Yes, Lily! Care to tell us the secret of your success?

It's a shame that more people aren't having a go at this. But then, I haven't so far! Too busy trying to mentally project dinosaurs in various parts of the country...:eek:

Forgot to post my 'impression' before I left on friday. But it matters not, as I was a million miles off. I'll write myself a reminder to give it another go this time 'round. Maybe for fun, we could each pick and try a different method for the divination. I'll write "I will see Rynner's desktop image by friday" 30 times a day until friday and see if that helps me any. (I promise not to copy/paste, heh).

mr chopper said:
....i did it lasy week and pm'd it to rynner and he didn't post my answer on the mb, so i'm not a happy puppy.
Sorry you're so sad! But I just checked my Private Messages and yours wasn't there - must have been a hiccup in the system. (I blame the departed and unlamented Troll...)

I just copy and paste the PMs into a file as they arrive, and then cut'n'paste from that file into the Message board on Saturday. I won't say it's foolproof, but with the present number of participants it would be hard to miss one. Were you anywhere close, BTW?

Give it another try this week.

mike_legs said:
Forgot to post my 'impression' before I left on friday. But it matters not, as I was a million miles off

Me too. First I had an image of an elephant in a zoo. Then later, a steam train...

Erm, I don't know about secret of my success, there were no music / mind altering subtances involved anyway! (And I don't think The Who would set the right mood at all for me!!)

I was having lunch at work when I read the message board, and the image was just absolutely the first thing that popped into my mind.

Having said that, my job isn't exactly thrilling at the moment, so maybe I had a sort of receptive bored / blank mind / empty canvas? or maybe they put something special in the sarnies in our canteen.

Either way, I did look at the clue for this weeks image, so I'll send you my guess.

Lily

It's reminder time!

[advert]
Just over a day to go to get in your readings for image 3!

No close hits yet, but some with points of interest! There's nothing to stop peeps having more than one go - perhaps you could try a different method to get your mind in the right mood. Find out what seems best for you!
[/advert]

RESULTS FOR IMAGE 3

Here are the readings received:

1. I've just got an image of a kind of military plane flying over water. (Evilsprout)

2. i got a 'busy' sort of feeling, people, the colour red and a building (with, and i know how stupid this sounds..windows) this was without clue so if its wrong im totally to blame!!!!!! (Jon Nash)

3. the image I got was of a tv screen with zig zag lines, probably something to do with the single malt. (P. Younger). [Pylons, those pillars bare like nude giant girls that have no secret.]

4. Without looking at the clue when I read your message- sitting here in the office - I can see a beach and a woman in a hat! I'm not seeing any colours though?!! (Emmy Mallow)

5. I looked at the clue, and imagined a tower or castle with an expanse of grass in front of it, and possibly people - maybe dressed up in some way. (Lily Lodestone)

6. A burning smell, wispy smoke, night-time. A celebration/festival like Bonfire night or Hallowe'en. 'Pagan' kinda theme. (Donna Black)

7. My impression is that there is an elderly lady (grey hair) wearing a hat. (Carole)

The actual picture can be seen
here

It shows four stones of a Stone Circle (the Nine Maidens, in Cornwall, although there are only about six left now). Beyond is a wide sweep of countryside, with scattered farm buildings, and in the far distance a Aerial mast stands on the skyline.

I liked having this pic on my desktop - very peaceful and calming!

So no-one very close this week. There were no people in the picture, for example, although there was plenty of sky, unlike the previous weeks' pics! I think that a psychic crystal should go to Donna Black, since a pre-christian stone circle is 'kinda' pagan, and a handful of dirty gravel to the rest.

I'm not sure if P.Youngers 'pylon' quote is a regular sig - if not, he shares second prize, for hinting at the aerial mast, with Lily, who got a 'tower' (and lots of grass).

Back soon with Image 4!

IMAGE 4

Image 4 is now up on my desktop.

No clues with this one, except to say it was sent to me by email, so I don't have a hard copy of the image. So it's no good mentally snooping around my books and albums, it's not there!

Happy viewing. PM me with your thoughts before midnight, Friday 30th Nov. Have more than one try if you like, using different methods for visualising.

LATER: A Thought has just dropped into my brain pan with an almighty clunk - what happens if someone tries to view my desktop when I'm using the computer for something else; playing backgammon, fr'instance....

Reprise:
3. the image I got was of a tv screen with zig zag lines, probably something to do with the single malt. (P. Younger).

No, it couldn't be, could it...?

Not very specific though, was I?

I recall seeing a programme about remote viewing a few years ago and figured I'd try the technique they used. You shut your eyes and hold a pencil over a bit of paper then allow your senses to take over. That is, you also use smell, touch, taste and sound as well as simply trying to 'see' the image. You scribble down the sensations as they arise.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I've heard that some people have no concept of time when doing this kind of stuff. For example, some people might end up describing the next week's selection. Of course this will be flawed if you read any predictions before you choose the next image. Just a thought, though.

Back