• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Resident Evil

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
That's because the first one sucked more than Paris Hilton.

But the zombies did have more meat on them.

I quite enjoyed resident Evil (for what it was) I do suspect the sequel will suck but it is doing decent buisness:

'Evil' does good (at box office)

Monday, September 13, 2004 Posted: 1234 GMT (2034 HKT)

BOX OFFICE TOP 10
Following are the top 10 movies at the North American box office for the Sept. 10-12 weekend.

1. "Resident Evil: Apocalypse," .7 million
2. "Cellular," .6 million
3. "Without a Paddle," .6 million
4. "Hero," .4 million
5. "The Princess Diaries 2," .9 million
5. "Anacondas," .9 million
7. "Vanity Fair," .8 million
8. "Collateral," .7 million
8. "Napoleon Dynamite," .7 million
10. "Paparazzi," .6 million

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- In another quiet weekend at the North American box office, the Milla Jovovich sci-fi sequel "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" opened at No. 1, ending the two-week reign of the Chinese martial arts saga "Hero."

"Resident Evil" sold about .7 million worth of tickets in its first three days, according to studio estimates issued Sunday. The Kim Basinger thriller "Cellular," the only other new release, opened at a distant No. 2 with .6 million.

The rest of the pack barely registered. The male-bonding comedy "Without a Paddle" slipped one place to No. 3 with .6 million in its fourth weekend.

"Hero" was at No. 4 with .4 million in its third round, while "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" held steady at No. 5 with .9 million in its fifth, about ,000 ahead of "Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid." Final numbers will be released Monday.

Overall sales were about flat with those from last week, but down from the same weekend a year ago, according to tracking firm Exhibitor Relations. The top 12 films grossed .7 million in the latest three-day period, down 11 percent from the year-ago frame.

The early fall is traditionally the quietest time of the year, but things should pick up next weekend with the arrival of three films: "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow," starring Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow; the baseball comedy "Mr. 3000," starring Bernie Mac; and the romantic comedy "Wimbledon," starring Kirsten Dunst and Paul Bettany.

"Resident Evil: Apocalypse" is the sequel to 2002's video game-inspired "Resident Evil," which opened with .7 million and finished with million.

Jovovich plays the leader of a group of rebels in a world of zombies and evil businessmen. Budgeted in the mid- million range, the sequel was released by Screen Gems, the genre arm of Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures Entertainment. The studio said the film attracted primarily young males.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/12/box.office.reut/index.html

I saw the new Resident Evil on the weekend. I rather liked the first one, I don't expect much from zombie movies . . . I can enjoy Flesh Eating Nazi Zombies as much as Dawn of the Dead . . . havinf said that the new Resident Evil is a truly terrible movie. Half the time it's impossible to tell what the hell is going on in action scenes, and the other half of the time you don't want to see because it's so unbelievable. And Nemesis, which is a big guy in suit looks surprisingly like a big guy in a uit, go figure.

Don't even think about characterization.

It's kind of sad they couldn't think up an original character for Milla Jovovich instead of getting her to play Ellen Ripley. In fact a lot of her plot and dialogue seem to ripped straight out of Alien 4.

But, having said all that I still enjoyed it. What can I say, I'm a sucker.

-Fitz

Well, according to Milla Jovovitch's website, Resident Evil 3 (Resident Evil: Afterlife) is definately in the offing, but not until 2007. Paul W.S Anderson will be scripting and directing, so you know what to expect. According to IGN, Mike Epp's rather irritating character will also be returning, but there's still plenty of time to start petitions and organise protest marches. On a happier note, Sienna Guillory should also be back.
Set in a post-apocalyptic world overrun with mutant zombies. The film will play in the Nevada desert with the Australian outback standing in for the American wasteland. In the final reel, the action will shift to Japan, setting up the fourth installment

I wonder if the Japanese setting will feature kung-fu zombies? If so, this will probably be the greatest film ever made.

graylien said:
I wonder if the Japanese setting will feature kung-fu zombies? If so, this will probably be the greatest film ever made.

Although kung fu zombies have been done before - Versus, Rotten Shaolin Zombies, Gravedigger/Zombie Rivals and Return of the Chinese Boxer (and probably some more). Although only not in the whole film the ones in RotCB are going to be difficult to top especially with RE's diminishing quality ;)

Nevermind how many films and directors she's screwing with. She's still Leeloo to me... T_T

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

I saw this film for the first time yesterday and b*gger me I didn't get it, nor the person I was watching it with. I wondered if anyone has seen it, and understands the story line, if they could help explain a few things to me:
If the bio-created virus was causing people to turn into zombies and it was transmitted by bite/blood, how come the long dead in the graves came to life too?
Project Alice-How come the other survivours of the helicopter crash new when she'd woke to be there at the right time, and indeed if she'd wake? (Having them in uniform and passing security was a bit of a stretch too.)
When project Alice was initiated as her and the fellow survivors left Umbrella what did this mean?
Many thanks if you can help explain anything, I'm just stumped! One cool thing though, I was just commenting on how you never see zombie animals or children in these movies and then vola, dogs and school kids. I wonder if they had a class hampster? ;) lol

Re: Resident Evil: Apocalypse

akaWiintermoon said:
I saw this film for the first time yesterday and b*gger me I didn't get it, nor the person I was watching it with.

Before worrying too much it's worth bearing in mind that the film is dreadful and some of it doesn't make sense because they really couldn't be bothered working too hard on the plot. Even if they did bother to explain some parts the answers to most questions that arise is either "to help move the plot on quickly so they can have more guns and cool effects" or "because it looks cool."

More indepth answers would require me to watch it again and I'd need to be paid ;)

--------
And zombie school kids and animals? They've been done better:

Stacy - Japanese zombie schoolgirls with worrying overtones.

Boneyard - a zombie poodle. :shock:

--------
I also merged this with the RE thread which also discusses Apocalypse.

Aha, I see...lol, thanks. Do you know, for a split second I thought 9 replies already and over 200 views, wow, I've started something here! ;)
Ta for the reply. :)

akaWiintermoon said:
Aha, I see...lol, thanks. Do you know, for a split second I thought 9 replies already and over 200 views, wow, I've started something here! ;)
Ta for the reply. :)

LOL - sorry to get your hopes up for floods of replies ;)

Also sorry I couldn't help too much but the only way to realy survive a film like that is to kick your barin into neutral or you'd end up with your head spinning and jam-packed full of questions. A bit like the fate you suffered - I'd imagine there should be soem kind of warning on the box.

When project Alice was initiated as her and the fellow survivors left Umbrella what did this mean?
It means that she's going to run around pouting whilst kicking zombie butt and firing really big guns! You know that's what you want to see, really. Ooh - loverly Jovovovovitch! It's Milla time!

Zombies hurt in Resident Evil film set accident
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15268321

Zombies are beyond the dead, but apparently not beyond minor injury
Emergency crews called to an accident on a film set in Toronto were confronted with alarming blood and gore - but it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Actors dressed as zombies for the latest Resident Evil film were injured when a high platform moved suddenly.

"It did kind of catch us off-guard when we walked in," said police Sergeant Andrew Gibson.

Twelve actors were taken to hospital with injuries ranging from bruising to a broken leg.

"I could see the look on the first paramedic, saying 'Oh my God'," Toronto emergency medical services Commander David Ralph told Associated Press news agency.

The accident happened when the zombie actors were moving between two platforms at the Cinespace Film Studios in Toronto and a gap opened up, police said.

Seven of the injured zombies were walking again on the set later in the day.

Resident Evil The Final Chapter: Washington DC has been laid to waste but Alice has survived! In the first ten minutes she kills 3 bioweapons: a toadman, a dragon and a golem. She also communicates with The Red Queen who tells her she has 48 hours to locate and release an antidote to T1, yes TRQ has her own agenda.

Alice travels across a Mad Maxeque Post-Apocalyptic wasteland, is ambushed several times, put in a cell with crucifixes hanging from the ceiling, tied behind an armoured car with Zombies in pursuit. Dr Isaacs is alive, a clone was killed! And boy is he mad! He is leading an army of Zombies to retake Racoon City and the Hive.

Will Alice escape and link up with the survivors in Racoon City to release the antidote?

Heavily influenced by Mad Max: Fury Road this is an ok Zombie action film. 6/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2592614/

The Resident Evil movie franchise may have recently come out with The Final Chapter, but the curtain’s not drawn on this series just yet. Variety is reporting that there are plans to make a six-movie reboot of the video game film series.

According to the report, Constantin Film board chairman Martin Moszkowicz confirmed at Cannes Film Festival that the German studio is developing a Resident Evil series reboot. Constantin Film, which has produced all the previous Resident Evil films, still owns rights to the franchise. According to Moszkowicz, the goal is to milk six movies out of the deal, which is the same number as the original series. While it might sound sudden, it’s not really surprising they’d want to bring back this series. The original franchise brought in $1.2-billion worldwide, and it’s the highest-grossing film series based on a video game.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/report-resid...&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Will the reboot star Milla Jovovich or somebody else?
I'm thinking that she's probably getting a bit old for all that jumping about.

Will the reboot star Milla Jovovich or somebody else?
I'm thinking that she's probably getting a bit old for all that jumping about.

Someone young I reckon, also not yet an A List Star.

Chloë Grace Moretz.

Elle Fanning.

Margot Robbie.

Saoirse Ronan.

Brie Larson.

They need less action less heavy metal and better scripts.

Loved the games, thought the films were ok but pretty thin.

Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008): Japanese 3D animated film, based on the original game rather than the live action film series. Characters from the games like Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield appear. Indeed the shoot them up style is game-like at times. There is a coherent narrative though, starting with a Zombie outbreak at an airport due to the T-Virus. Plenty of corrupt and scheming politicians and PharmaCorp executives, Special forces combatting Zombies and terrorists. But who is behind it all? Some good conspiracy tropes along with action, especially when the G-Virus is released resulting a human-monster hybrid. Directed by Makoto Kamiya from a screenplay by Shinji Mikami. On Netflix. 7/10.

Resident Evil: Damnation: Japanese 3D animated film, based on the original game rather than the live action film series, a sequel to Resident Evil: Degeneration. Leon is back in a an ex USSR state which is now in the throes of civil war. He's investigating the use of Bio Organic Weapons (BOWs) allegedly being used by separatists. The monsters are created by humans being infected by a virus.. But all kinds of conspiracies are at play in this game of smoke and mirrors. Most of the characters are being manipulated by those with agendas. Great battle scenes with the monsters, even one monster type which looks like an Engineer from Prometheus. It's animated and shoot-em-up like the games but the characters here aren't two dimensional, they really have back stories. Directed by Makoto Kamiya from a screenplay by Shotaro Suga. On Netflix. 7/10.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City: A gamer who I saw the film with last night tells me that RE:WTRC is more faithful to the source material than previous films. anyway you don't get a zombie tiger but you do get a zombie doberman and zombie crows. After a truck hits a woman and the dog licks blood off the road you just know he's going to bite he hand that feeds him. It's a dark film, both horror wise and seeing that it's set almost entirely at night. Clashes in dark corridors, in a crumbling mansion, in the woods. The sick/infected will attack you but you really need to fear the risen dead. Zombies bite out throats, eat people alive, can take multiple wounds and fight on until shot in the right part of the head. The evil Umbrella Corporation are behind it all, the latest contretemps is due to a containment breach while Umbrella was winding down it's Raccoon City operations but they have carried out experiments on orphans fro decades. Plenty of shoot 'em up and enough gore for game and horror fans alike. Perhaps 10 minutes could have been shaved off the film's 107 minute running time. A mid-credits scene promises a sequel to this reboot. Written & Directed by Johannes Roberts (47 Metres Down). 7/10.

In cinemas.

Just watched Ep 1 of the Resident Evil reboot series on Netflix. 2036, a Post-Apocalypse London, fast moving Zeros, not really walking dead because the T-Virus, they burn well though. There are also giant mutant human eating caterpillars about. It cuts back and forth to 2022 in New Raccoon City where the apocalypse happened. Brighton is full of crustie type scavengers, like something out of Mad Max, with shambling Zomboids outside the walls, so nothings changed there. Really good Horror/SF action.

Just watched Ep 1 of the Resident Evil reboot series on Netflix. 2036, a Post-Apocalypse London, fast moving Zeros, not really walking dead because the T-Virus, they burn well though. There are also giant mutant human eating caterpillars about. It cuts back and forth to 2022 in New Raccoon City where the apocalypse happened. Brighton is full of crustie type scavengers, like something out of Mad Max, with shambling Zomboids outside the walls, so nothings changed there. Really good Horror/SF action.
Agreed, really enjoyed this, much more so than the recent movie.

I think I recognised some of the locations from The Girl With All the Gifts.

Resident Evil reboot series on Netflix. 2036, a Post-Apocalypse London, fast moving Zeros, not really walking dead because the T-Virus, they burn well though. There are also giant mutant human eating caterpillars about. It cuts back and forth to 2022 in New Raccoon City where the apocalypse happened. Brighton is full of crustie type scavengers, like something out of Mad Max, with shambling Zomboids outside the walls, so nothings changed there. While this is good Horror/SF action the series as a whole doesn't live up to the promise of episode 1. We have the ongoing drama of 30 year old Jade in 2036 observing and researching the Zeros, having to flee to France as she is pursued by agents of the Umbrella where she encounters religious fanatics who want to harness the Zeros, seeing. them as a gift from god. More monsters including giant spiders are confronted. Back in 20222 the young Jade and her twin sister (daughters of Albert Wesker) start to discover some of the secrets about what happened to Raccoon City in 1998. There are also problems with a new drug devised by Umbrella. So much undisclosed information, so many conspiracies. Perhaps the plot gets a bit too convoluted for it's own good. Still the action and fights help as hordes of Zeros are fought in pitched battle scenes and in skirmishes; in the open in confined spaces, light and dark. I thought the acting was OK so I don't really understand a lot of the hate thrown at this adaptation of the game. Developed by Andrew Dabb for Netflix. eight episodes. 7/10.

Back