• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Reverse Speech (David John Oates; Unconscious Mind's Reverse Utterances)

A

Anonymous

I remember on the James whale show {around months ago} about a guest who clamied that you can hear thoughts of the mind when you play someone's voice backwards.
He tried to prove by a baby and by playing the voice backwards, the baby said ''hello" or "mummy".
Does anybody know more information about this guest?

This might help.

Linked URL = http://www.reversespeech.com/

FYI: Here's the general introduction to the subject from this website ...

About Reverse Speech

It has been called the discovery of the 7th sense. The research into this phenomenon has been described as being of “Nobel calibre”. It has been featured in numerous publications around the world, and in the United States it became a household name in the late 90s. It is called Reverse Speech, the phenomenon of hidden backward messages in speech. It initially gained worldwide fame in the early 80s as those strange backward messages in rock and roll. Since that time, research has progressed significantly and it is now known to exist in all forms of human speech.

If human speech is recorded and played backwards, mixed amongst the gibberish at regular intervals can be heard very clear statements. These statements usually appear in short sentence form and are nearly always related to the forward speech. It appears constantly throughout language, so much so in fact, that it is believed to be a natural part of our speech processes.

The pioneer and 32 year veteran of this field, Australian David John Oates, describes Reverse Speech as another form of human communication. He states that language is bi-level, forward and reverse. As the human brain constructs the sounds of speech, it forms those sounds in such a way that two messages are delivered simultaneously. One forwards, which is the conscious mind speaking, and the other in reverse, which is the unconscious mind speaking. ...

SOURCE: http://reversespeech.com/about/

Last edited by a moderator:
That link didn't work for me.

Does he correlate reverse speech and playing records backwards?
Does anybody have different a different url for that site or any similar projects??

Whether it's a hoax or real, I still think that it's an interesting subject. If it is real then it could become a good method of discovering the guilt of a suspect. Until it is proved either way I will remain interested, but sceptical.

Apparently {they featured this on the james whale show} if you can record tony blair speaking,try and put it backwards and find out what he is really saying/thinking

Apparently {they featured this on the james whale show} if you can record tony blair speaking,try and put it backwards and find out what he is really saying/thinking

Wouldn't it be scary if he was encouraging devil worship or even more disturbing - saying the same thing

Skynet said:
I originally looked at this site a long time ago. I thought it was rubbish at first, and am still sceptical. Try it yourself - I got mixed results (and I did try recording polititions - there were reversals but they were not so clear). Some of the other results I had were very clear.

My Scepticism is still present though because I think your brain will try and make understandable words from random sounds. Its what we have trained it to do. Its also why you often hear your name in random noise. Because thats the sound we are most wired up to decode.

Having said that I think you guys should have a go yourself and see what results you get. The tip is not to try. Just record yourself in a normal conversation with someone and then reverse it. Like everything else - if you try it'll not work.

For me, the jury is still out.

Faggus said:
http://www.skepdic.com/backmess.html <-this is the skepdic approach.
Personally (this is something i really don't know about) it doesn't sound like unbollox to me.
Yeah, but after looking at that skepdic site.. They just seem to rubbish absolutely anything that does not adhere to currently understood science. Such blinkered views (albeit pointed in a different direction) are what got people killed for practicing 'magic' not really that long ago.

Maybe it is our brain making us hear what we want to. But their blanket rubbishing helps no-one. :-/

Pete, with an open mind... Hopefully not leaking too much on the carpet.

Seems to be a bit of a tinfoil theory that people unconsciously embed secret messages in their speech that can be relealed by playing it backwards.

Going by some examples, it looks iike you need to wade through quite a bit of speech to find something that sounds like something else in reverse, also changing the tempo helps, ;)

Obama says "Burn with nukes" in this video!

For balance, similar analysis of the Trumpmeister

lol I can see a theme coming together here:

I suppose for youtube purposes it's not very interesting unles it's someone knows... Princess Di gets the treatment too:

Back