• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

review of ghost documentries.

Durhamghostwhisperer

Junior Acolyte
Did any one see the ghost documentries on channel five last night and what you think.
I watched them it is a shame but they were like most other documenties on the subject rubbish. Has any one seen a documentry which is worth watching.

I didn't think it was too bad. Although the psychic lady, who was with Rev Fanthorpe in the haunted cinema, appeared to be worse than useless.

I usually find that these ghost documentaries are on the whole dsappointing, although there is sometimes a small gold nugget of interest. In my opinion, the bit of gold in this partcular programme was the last item showing the mysterious man in the video of the horse riders.

BTW, theres a repeat showing of 'The World's Scariest Ghosts' on Bravo at 10 pm this coming Friday, if anyone's interested.

Carole

Thought the Fanthorpe bit was OK and the Stockport bit with the tea-total church over the bar was just getting me interested when it stopped.
Didn't think much of the others though.
The first one just seemed to be a chimney downdraught and the horse riding one a trick of the light cum angle of the camera.

I think I've already seen the "Worlds scariest Ghosts" along side their religious repetition of "Worlds scariest Police chases 65, 000 with our man Sheriff John Burnell (retd.)". It's purely eye candy targeted for the lowest common denominator.... which is probably why I love watching Bravo, but I'm a ripleys believe it or not man myself :D

My mum taped the C5 ghost show, and I must say it was pretty poor in terms of pure facts (but then again what do you expect), and that bit with the "ghost" at the riding school was hilarious :rolleyes:

So no, I haven't seen one documentary that I wasn't wishing I was somewhere else half way through.

I found it odd that, rather than thinking 'oh, look, a bloke behind the fence, I didn't notice him while I rode by on my horse,' she automatically thinks 'GHOST'.

I'd be more worried about it being a real loiterer.

The industry view, which may well be justified, is that the audience for
serious Forteana is TINY. So spook shows are pitched at a general
entertainment level and tricked out with enough hype to turn anyone
into a sceptic.

People in general are simply not all that curious about weird stuff. Weird
in itself, but sadly true. :(

schnor said:
but I'm a ripleys believe it or not man myself :D

Yeh, I like Ripley too. Have you ever been to one of the exhibitions? There are some real gems in there. My particular favourite was the Chinese man who had two irises in each eye.

Carole

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, check out the repeats of ghost hunters on the Discovery channel 10am weekdays well worth a look.

Cursed said:
I found it odd that, rather than thinking 'oh, look, a bloke behind the fence, I didn't notice him while I rode by on my horse,' she automatically thinks 'GHOST'.

I'd be more worried about it being a real loiterer.

I didn't see the show, but this case has been featured on Rev Fanthorpe's Fortean TV (Ch4), and is local to me (the riding centre is Cobdown, in Kent). My sister even knows the man who took the film. The rider was on horseback - unusual for a loiterer, and, if memory serves, the ground on that side of the fence showed no tracks. No conclusive, I know, but there you go.

Regarding ghost documentaries in general, James is right in stating that they are structured to entertain rather than inform. Even the better treatments - the Ghosthunters, Strange-But-True?s will not convince audiences in themselves. And most people, of course, won't even watch them.
It's a shame that shows like Ch4's Equinox don't get involved though. I could certainly point them to some material that would serve the dual aim of Inform & Entertain.
Attempts to persuade a general populace (especially a conditioned one) of the reality of anything they can't see on demand or experience firsthand is pretty well condemned to failure from the start.
However, I still like to debate the evidence for ghostly activity and the hereafter like the best of them. Nowadays though, if things get a bit intense or heated, I simply reply that we'll all get an opportunity to find out for ourselves some day. That usually stops the conversation dead.

You probably already know this but there is a documentary on EVP on Sunday, Channel 4.

I'll be too scared to watch it though, I think it's easily the scariest of Fortean phenomena. I'll content myself with the reviews afterwards on these boards...

Auntie Peach said:
You probably already know this but there is a documentary on EVP on Sunday, Channel 4.

I'll be too scared to watch it though, I think it's easily the scariest of Fortean phenomena. I'll content myself with the reviews afterwards on these boards...

I didn't know that actually, since I don't watch TV. I expect there'll be nothing new on it though. Does anyone know aynthing else about it?

Back