• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Riga

SmallGeorge

Junior Acolyte
Off to Riga next week and on the iterary is the Museum of the History of Medicine simply to see the stuffed two-headed dog experiment. It'll make me sad and probably a little cross, but it's a bit of a must-see for any true fortean. Aside from this and the pre and post soviet statues (I think a lot of the Soviet era stuff has been erased), does anyone have any suggested destinations?

There have been some interesting excavations under St Jeka's Cathedral recently - I don't know if anything is available to view? Lots and LOTS of bones!

@Sid that's the badger! thank you.

Reactions: Sid
We went to Riga a few years back, nice city but not a patch on Tallinn, which is why we were there. Too long a back story to go into now.

A word of warning. There were a lot of unfriendly Russians about and given the state of the world at the moment I doubt it has improved.

An interesting city.

No unfriendly Russians, but we did visit the Russian Quarter to see Stalin's Birthday Cake and the Ghetto Museum. The quarter itself was like stepping back into some Soviet era movie set. All wooden houses and older people sitting on doorsteps clutching bags. Sadly, we didn't see Arnie diving out of a warehouse door.... red heat.jpg

Back