• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ringu

Are they Remaking Dark Water, then?

I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere but has anyone else seen the American Ring Two yet? Tremendously disappointing and with a hell of a lot carried over from Dark Water. Not a patch on the first remake.

Nakata's direction takes it away from the more "grounded" horror we had in The Ring (remake), and makes it more difficult to grasp what's going on - it's not as sinister, the kid chews the scenery the whole way through (and don't get me started on Sissy Spacek) and there is no shock at all. Plus the end is preposterous.

This film is trying too hard to carry the "J-horror" tradition over into the American cinema and it just doesn't work.

Shame, what a wasted opportunity. Save your money and watch Constantine, if you haven't already, instead.

Ive still not seen either the Japanese version or t'other.I have the japanese one on DVD and really should get round to watching it!! :)

I saw Ring 2 on the weekend (for free, and I'm glad I didn't waste my money) - what a pointless effort. What was with the deer?

Personally, I think the movie was rushed out to trump Dark Water, as the end is almost the same. Its funny, because where I live in Canada there was almost no advertising campaign for Ring 2, which seems strange.

***SPOILER WARNING*****************

And, yes, the ending was ridiculous . . . wasn't the lid on the well at the beginning of the first movie?

-Fitz

The deer were beyond rubbish - and I think that the horror of that scene didn't really translate too well. I saw it for free too, at a press screening, and fortunately for lazy sods like me they hand out great sheaves of production notes - in which it explained the sacred significance of deer in Japan - being attacked by them is meant to be a bit like being pecked to death by white doves or mauled by Jesus.

However sticking those in a film aimed at a Western audience failed as the significance didn't come across. It's like when you watch a "J-horror" movie and are shown an image which (I'm led to believe) a Japanese audience would find typically scary - strangely-coloured eyes, running water, long dark hair, lifts, wells - is shown with a deep, croaky "doom is here" kind of musical noise, it's hard to understand - we just tend to think "it's only a well, for Christ's sake".

Did you also notice that the CGI on the deer was absolutely terrible? It was like Jurassic Deer.

I didn't notice, to tell you the truth, but mostly because I was leaning over to my wife, asking "What is this bollocks??"

I'll take your word for it though.

And, wait - what about the deer antlers in the basement??

-Fitz

This is the ultimate in "Owned"!
Some Japanese teen-girl pop group being
shown "Ringu" and their reactions being taped.

This is a Quicktime, so it takes a while to
load -- but its worth it!

Hilarious! :lol:

http://seanbonner.com/ring/ring.mov

TVgeek

I saw Ringu again last Friday, as good as ever. The way the mystery unfolded, the flashbacks, the spooky kid, the well scenes, great.

I saw Ringu again last Friday, as good as ever. The way the mystery unfolded, the flashbacks, the spooky kid, the well scenes, great.

I still find it difficult to accept there's people out there who prefer the American remake, and think it's one of the scariest movies ever, when the Japanese original was so well done, such a streamlined and ingenious bit of horror, that it leaves the remake in the dust.

Back