• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ripped Mouth Lady

A

Anonymous

There is an urban legend in Japan which sounds familiar to the "chelsea smiles". The legend is that, One evening, a girl met a woman who had a red coat and a big white mask on her mouth on her way home from school.

The woman asked "Do you think I'm beautiful?" The girl could not see clearly the woman's face because of her mask. However, the girl thought that the woman was quite beautiful. The girl answered obediently "Yes, you are beautiful."

Suddenly, the woman asked again "Am I really beautiful?" while taking off the mask. The woman's mouth split open to her ear. The girl ran out of fear and escaped from the area. However, the woman pursued the girl with terrible speed. The woman caught up with the girl easily. The woman said "I want to do for you what was done to my face." The woman had a big sickle hidden. Then, the woman split the girl's mouth with the sickle.

Does anybody know the origins of this myth?

Sounds like a fairly standard kid-scaring device. Probably invented and spread by teenagers with an underdeveloped sense of humour.

Don't they mention this at the start of the Japanese original 'Ring'?

Big_Al said:
Don't they mention this at the start of the Japanese original 'Ring'?

Indeed they did, this made me curious,
BTW, I found a flash movie of the Urban Legend.
Nothing new but fairly intresting

Ripped mouth lady

By all accounts quite a famed UL in Japan. Red jacket, knife-work. Sounds a bit like 'Don't Look Now', is that the one. Wee dwarf woman, Venice, Donald Sutherland...

KUCHISAKE ONNA (SLIT-MOUTH WOMAN) - (Japanese) Another charming Japanese urban legend from the 1970's. This particular one involves the ghost of a warrior's concubine. She was extremely beautiful and vain, and her jealous husband thought (probably correctly) that she was cheating on him. Finally he took his sword and slit her mouth open from ear to ear, asking her if people will still think she's so pretty now. So now her ghost wanders the streets with a long veil or scarf covering the lower half of her face. When children or college students meet her at dusk or at night, she'll coyly ask "Watashi kirei?" (Am I beautiful?) Then she rips aside her scarf, exposing her hideous mutilated mouth (or slit throat). When her victim runs, she chases them, still asking if she's beautiful. Usually she's carrying a scythe or some other bladed weapon, so running is a good idea if you meet her. Supposedly she's looking for someone who will say she's still pretty, and then she can rest in peace.

The words 'Japanese Black Dahlia' sprung to mind as soon as I read the first post in this thread.

*shudder*

I'd say she's doing pretty well to ask any kind of question if her mouth's that wide.

Surely, "Do you think I'm pretty?" would come out like "Oo oo hinn hii heehee?".

I'm not saying that that wouldn't still scare the shit out of me, mind you.

Believed by my 10yr old Korean students.

I've heard a similar thing about a karate move when you punch someone's stomach in a particular place and they scream so much that it splits open their mouth.

Is that possible??

I thought that's how the Chelsea Smile was applied? The victim's cheeks were slit either side of their mouth and they were then hit in the stomach, which made them scream, splitting their mouth wide open... :?

Oh - I thought the Chelsea smile was... oh hang... I can't remember! You might be right there....

WhistlingJack said:
I thought that's how the Chelsea Smile was applied? The victim's cheeks were slit either side of their mouth and they were then hit in the stomach, which made them scream, splitting their mouth wide open... :?
Reminds me of 'chinese water torture' where, theoretically, the face was slit in this was and the victim was fixed underneath a slowly dripping tap until they screamed.

Reminds me of a scene from Pan's Labyrinth where a maid puts a knife in the guys mouth and slices his cheek open.
Some really disturbing parts to the film, the sadistic torture bits made me feel physically sick. Having said that, it was an excellent film.
The whole beautiful woman hiding a disfigured face reminds me of an episode of the outer limits where a guy picks up a girl at a halloween party and at the end you find out she is not wearing a mask.

This was a central theme to Nip/Tuck, if I remember correctly...

Just like that scene in the Krays movie with the Kemp brothers...
Man is accused of laughing at Reg Kray...
Reg backs him up to wall, threatening "I'll make you laugh for the rest of your f***ing life!"...
Produces his samurai sword, lays it across guy's mouth and pushes all the way in...
Yummy

Not trying to be picky but, I think it was a Bayonet, a big ol' WWI type. Not the little toothpick they have nowadays.

This reminds me of the character Asano Tadanobu plays in Ichi The Killer. The way his mouth is cut sounds like the lady in the UL. The sides of his mouth are held closed by paper clips and when he smokes, rings of smoke come out of either side of his mouth.

This also reminds me somewhat of the 'Smilers' UL (there is a thread on this but I can't find it....for example , it actually happened at my school- there were rumours around the county about a gang of skinheads called the Smilers , who were going around the schools , apprehending hapless kids and using a stanley knife to slice the sides of their mouths up to their cheeks to form a smile. One day someone said that a busload of these Smilers were on their way to our school , and pandemonium ensued. The headteacher called an emergency assembly in an attempt to allay all fears , while the PE teacher was stood armed at the gates with a baseball bat. Needeless to say , no stanley-knife wielding skinheads turned up.)

Reminds me of the joke about the Wide-Mouth Frog.

"Hmmm, don't see many of those round here, do you?"

PMSL.

Okay, you guys are now seriously creeping me out. I bet tonight I will have nightmares about beautiful Japanese ladies with ripped-apart faces. :shock:

And yes, it does remind me of the Black Dahlia, Beth Short--whoever killed her had carved some dreadful parody of a smile on her face, poor girl. :?

Back