• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

River Cultures & Mythology

A

Anonymous

Can anyone suggest sources on river cultures and mythologies? I'm particularly lookig into Cletic and British, Norse, and African culture at the moment but wish to broaden my research. There seems to be a derth of literature with such a focus, so any suggestions are gratefully received.

Reuben.

Janet & Colin Bord's 'Sacred Waters' although mainly on wells, does have some good material on UK river legends, celtic and other wise.

Lewis Spence's Lesser Mythology of the British Isles has plenty on these topics IIRC.

Don't the teutonic myths that Wagner based his stuff on pretty much revolve around the Rhine?

Breakfast said:
Minor Traditions of British Mythology ? It looks quite interesting- although I know nothing about Spence and I'm not sure how much I trust someone who writes about the magical traditions of Atlantis...

Apologies all, it was late at night and i seem to have conflated several of the titles nearby on the bookshelf. Breakfast has the correct title. As to Spence, as far as i can make out the 'facts' are usually accurate and impeccably referenced, but occassionally he goes of on prosaic flights about what we've lost in the twentieth century. His work brings together many refernces in old texts as opposed to using cutting-edge archaeolgy. I like his style though i feel sure others would think him stuffy.

Cheers for the correction. :)

Not read anything of his on Atlantis.

The book on pre-christian religions of the british isles by...bugger whatshisname...he wroth The Triumph of the Moon and a book about the ritual year in Britain.

Well anyway his book on...bla bla...goes into some depth about the posibilities of river daities in Britain up to and including the Roman era.

What's his bloody name! That's going to bug me for ages!:mad:

Back