• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Robert Anton Wilson

What is your opinion of R.A.W.?

• Genius

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Con Artist

• Flake

• Good Writer, Bad Philosopher

• Overrated

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BaronVonHoopla

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I don't know if Chat is really the right area for this, but I don't have anything specific about RAW that I want to talk about, just him in general, I guess, with anyone who is interested.

What are people's opinions of him? And more than that, what do you think the general opinion of him is? I realize fnord your average joe probably doesn't even know who he is, but we do . . . what do you think OTHER forteans think of him?

Has this been vague enough? Fnord. Has this been confusing enough?

-Fnord

Best Goalkeeper Arsenal ever had. They could do with him now.

I've just read the link. By gum, that Bob Wilson has broadened his horizons since Grandstand.

Robotman said:
Best Goalkeeper Arsenal ever had. They could do with him now.
:D :D :D :D

ROFL! Once a Gooner, always a Gooner! :D

(But Seaman was even better, IMHO.)

David Icke has gone on to bigger & better things as well. Must be summat to do with goalies. (A bit mad ?)

Ahem. I'm going to assume that is some British football reference that I don't understand?

-Fitz

Sorry mate.

Your thread is released from the clutches of 1970's football evil. (Pafff..I'm gone)

Hey, feel free . . . nobody else seems interested in RAW anyway . . .

Boo hoo hoo

-Fitz

Well, I have read the link & he seems like the sort of bloke I'd like to go for a pint with.

Damn - looks like I've ruined another thread. Sorry.

Dificult question... i got into a lot of fortean stuff tho reading Illuminatus, and lots of RAW stuff..... but... sometimes (well quite often really) it strikes me he maybe has lived amongst his acoloites for too long. Intweresting guy, i also find it a little odd when he launches into being an apologist for Tim Leary.

Fitz said:
Hey, feel free . . . nobody else seems interested in RAW anyway . . .

Boo hoo hoo

-Fitz

I disagree; I quite like RAW, it's just that I don't have much to say on him.

I think the guy's fantastic. :)

His way of describing how people have different 'reality tunnels' is absolutely invaluable when tackling Forteana. You can actually see them at work as people try to categorise fnord things, especially when it comes to conspiracies, UFOs and ghosts.

GiantRobot said:
His way of describing how people have different 'reality tunnels' is absolutely invaluable when tackling Forteana. You can actually see them at work as people try to categorise fnord things, especially when it comes to conspiracies, UFOs and ghosts.

I totally agree . . . lately I've been reading a lot of Keel and a lot of Wilson, and the two go together surprisingly well . . .

-Fitz

Fitz said:
GiantRobot said:

I totally agree . . . lately I've been reading a lot of Keel and a lot of Wilson, and the two go together surprisingly well . . .

-Fitz

I agree!

I think R.A.W.'s 'Chapel Perilous' is a very important concept - and is vital for any kind of serious self-improvement or spiritual development. This is something that's very much present in Forteana, and probably the reason I like him so much.

I agree . . . two questions for you . . . your Roses Are Red poem in your signature sounds like Hassan Sabbah . . . is it derived from that? And the term "We recycle souls" sounds so familiar - Mothman Prophesies?

-Fitz

I'm a big fan of RAW.
I read a lot of his books during a period of great upheaval in my life, when I had just left home and was mucking around with acid and magic(k) and such, and he is at least partly responsible for the glorious mess I am today. ;)

As for RAW and Keel 'going together', you can do worse than to read (or reread) PKD's Valis, Keel's Mothman Prophesies, Crowley's (or A N Other magician's) writing about the HGA and maybe Icke's or some other total flake's :p 'contact' experience having read RAW's first Cosmic Trigger : they all deal with the same subject matter IMHO.

I can also recommend Prometheus Rising and Quantum Psychology as texts for personal um tinkering, especially if you do the exercises, or as many as are practical.

I personally prefer Schroedinger's Cat to Illuminatus! but that might be just my age.
Eve Hubbard for President!!!

Really? I actually read Schrodinger's Cat first, and LOVED it . . . then a few years later a friend gave me Illuminatus! for my birthday. I was blown away. Shortly after I re-read Schrodinger and didn't like it nearly as much . . . it seemed silly. But in retrospect I think I just read them too close together, and I should give it another go.

I am currently doing the excercises in Prometheus Rising, and have been noticing a difference in how I vew things already.

Valis is one of the few PKDs I have yet to read, but I guess I know what I am going onto next.

Did the excercises in Prometheus work for you, and if so, what would you say the results were?

-Fitz

I once had a weekend indoors, where I read all the Cosmic Triggers, finished Valis and also read the Mothman Prophecies. Reality went on a holiday - and it was great!

"We recycle souls" is what the greys said to Communion author Whitley Streiber when he asked them what they did. Interesting job. I think it's something very interesting, and loaded with meaning - maybe pointing to the real cause of what Streiber went through.

The poem thing's a take on the William S. Burroughs quote "nothing is true, everything is permitted", but who knows where he got his stuff from?

Interesting take on the poem . . . there is a touch of LaVey Satanism in there too.

That's also an interesting idea on the recycling of souls, I knew I knew it from somewhere . . . it's been so long since I read Communion . . . sort of makes you wonder what the greys are doing abducting people, and how that connects to the souls . . . although if you put Communion together with Cosmic Trigger you get an interesting combination.

Greys from Sirius recycling souls to make room for a different breed?

-Fitz

Fitz said:
That's also an interesting idea on the recycling of souls, I knew I knew it from somewhere . . . it's been so long since I read Communion . . . sort of makes you wonder what the greys are doing abducting people, and how that connects to the souls . . . although if you put Communion together with Cosmic Trigger you get an interesting combination.

Greys from Sirius recycling souls to make room for a different breed?

-Fitz

I think that the Greys in Communion are Whitley's own Chapel Perilous - they're going to recycle his soul into something new. He's going to be destroyed and then rebuilt - the death and rebirth that occurs in many esoteric and 'illuminating' spiritual traditions.

Maybe, not seeing them clearly for what they are, Whitley's unfortunately avoided a massive change for the better in his consciousness.

He always maintained that the Greys weren't really real but were a particular way of something communicating with him - a mask of sorts. I like to think it was the deepest parts of his subconscious.

That's one thing that I get out of R.A.W. - if you can live with Ambiguity, and avoid the traps of thinking about things rigidly and dogmatically, you can see your own habitual patterns, and most importantly, you can see your own subconsciousness' attempts to communicate with you. According to Jung, the things we can't easily accept about ourselves become projected outwards onto others - if you can catch yourself doing this, then you have a real change to 'Know Thyself'.

so tell me this... whats all the no horse, no woman and no mostache ..thing about then?... where is it really from?

"No wife, no horse, no moustache".

It's really very simple. ;)

What's your gut instinct about it?

Niles Calder said:
"No wife, no horse, no moustache".

It's really very simple. ;)

What's your gut instinct about it?

is it a quote?... is it just head messing?.... is it due to drugs ir drink? i asume it means that he has nothing with out those three things... but maybe i havent taken enough drugs.

Hmmm, there is a part in Schrodinger's Cat that sort of explains it, if memory serves . . . It concerned Joe Malik, and the explanation had something to do with the Koran - am I close?

-Fitz

Fitz said:
Hmmm, there is a part in Schrodinger's Cat that sort of explains it, if memory serves . . . It concerned Joe Malik, and the explanation had something to do with the Koran - am I close?

-Fitz

yes ive read it.... but no one whos read the Koran can pin it down...

I think it's either a Finnigan's Wake style multilingual pun or RAW's just messing with our heads...

Again. :twisted:

What do you think the puns are Niles? I really do think I knew at some point, but I am coming up with nothing.

-Fitz

Back