• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Robert Anton Wilson

Mama_Kitty

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've just read an old interview of RAW and I would like to read some of his books. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a RAW virgin? He seems like a pretty intersting person, so thoughts on him in general would also be appreciated.

Well, you cant go wrong with the Illuminatus triology, some of its 60-era concerns have dated badly, but its still a good read that makes you think:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1854875744/qid=1
Cosmic Trigger is also good, its the only 'New Age' book I've read that doesn't make me want to burn down a New Age store, cause it has a good sense of humour:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561840033/qid=1
Cant comment on anything else, cause I haven't read it, but heres the link for the total Amazon search replies:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=b

Everything Is Under Control is a pretty good gazeteer of conspiracy theories. I picked it up in the American Bookshop in Amsterdam a couple of years ago... Highly recommended :)

8¬)

I cames across RAW at his website here and I've developed a bit of an interest in his theories regarding the future of employment. (Also, he has a good dirty jokes section. :D ) I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what he has to say about work:

'If there is one proposition which currently wins the assent of nearly everybody, it is that we need more jobs. "A cure for unemployment" is promised, or earnestly sought, by every Heavy Thinker from Jimmy Carter to the Communist Party USA, from Ronald Reagan to the head of the economics department at the local university, from the Birchers to the New Left.

I would like to challenge that idea. I don't think there is, or ever again can be, a cure for unemployment. I propose that unemployment is not a disease, but the natural, healthy functioning of an advanced technological society.

The inevitable direction of any technology, and of any rational species such as Homo sap., is toward what Buckminster Fuller calls ephemeralization, or doing-more-with-less. For instance, a modern computer does more (handles more bits of information) with less hardware than the proto-computers of the late '40's and '50's. One worker with a modern teletype machine does more in an hour than a thousand medieval monks painstakingly copying scrolls for a century. Atomic fission does more with a cubic centimeter of matter than all the engineers of the 19th Century could do with a million tons, and fusion does even more.

Unemployment is not a disease; so it has no "cure." '

(Expert from 'The Illuminati Papers' quoted at the Tetrica webisite.)

Old Bertie Russell (distinguished philosopher, mathamatcian and peace activist) wrote a similar piece about the futility/drudgery of much of work and how it should be abolished. I read it in an old anarchist sampler, but can't remember the name of the article.
I'll try a Google, but if anyone can help me out, don't be shy.
But I totally agree with Wilson/Russel's/Wastrel's point of view. It seems no matter how many labour saving devices or new technologies abound, we are still stuck with the same amount of work as our industrial or pre-industrial ancestors.
I have no figures on this, but I reckon if we cut all unneccesary industries or employment - arms manufacturers, marketing, advertising, dubious financial services, and restructred the global economy - we could feed the planet and all live in relative luxury without having to work more than 20 hours a week.

I think the essay by Russell is 'In Praise of Idleness.' I've got a text file copy of it but lost the web address. THe only URL in the file is http://www.zpub.com/notes/aan-read.html, which it says is 'the anarchist reading list'. The other talked-about essay on this subject is 'The Abolition of Work' by Bob Black. Again, text file copy - no address. Sloppy personal admin, I know.

As for the twenty hour week - yes, I think it's realisable, at least in the West. As for the rest of the world, well, maybe us not making and exporting guns'n'bombs anymore would be the best thing that could happen to them in terms of development and stability. :)

I've got a fair bit about this on my own webby, and generally agree with some of the more radical thinkers on the need for a reassessment of what constitutes productive work and the tyranny of the work ethic. I think the work ethic is part of a value system which holds the worth of money as greater than anything else- the enviroment, family life, community, indigenous culture, artistic freedom and even personal life.

And before anybody says anything - yes, I know I'm rambling. :(

These are the sort of radical ideas that you can talk about, but I think that we've got about as much chance of seeing them in action as there is of Shergar winning the next Grand National.

chatsubo said:
Well, you cant go wrong with the Illuminatus triology, some of its 60-era concerns have dated badly, but its still a good read that makes you think:

"Shrodinger's Cat Trilogy" is another one to check out.....

sureshot

Back