• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Robert William Pickton - Canada's biggest serial killer

A

Anonymous

Body Disposal by Pigs?

This case is interesting as it may solve the disappearance of around 50 prostitutes in Vancouver, Canada. But the thing I find most interesting is that the accused is also a Pig Farmer (known as "Farmer Willy" for reasons that were not elaborated on). Anyway, after recently seeing the movie "Snatch", and also a nod to "Hannibal", these movies seem to advocate the use of pigs as a clean method of body disposal. In "Snatch" it's claimed that if the pigs are hungry enough, and if the body is in small enough chunks, that the pigs will go through anything (including bone), neatly processing the victim.

Is this an elaborate piece of fiction or should we view farmers with more suspicion? :eek:

H'mm, I don't feel comfortable with this idea as a fool-proof method of disposing of human bodies. Surely there would be some traces left? And if you have to go to the trouble of cutting up the body into small enough chunks, it seems to defeat the object of leaving others to do the distasteful work. Do pigs really eat bone? What about the larger bones of the human body?

You might as well shove the body into a wood chipper or something, like happened in 'Fargo'.

Carole

They had an episode in Heartbeat with someone assumed to have killed somebody and thrown the body to some pigs.

Pigs are entirely capable of at least partially eating a corpse. I grew up in a farming town, and among the bits of cautionary information that was imparted to one as a child was the knowledge that pigs are dangerous to small children, and hogs more so. Under the correct circumstances, they'll knock you down and eat you. It had apparently happened to a little girl within recent memory of the adults.

As a practical note, even though the pigs may eat the bodies, it's apparently not an ideal method of murder victim disposal, since the police are finding evidence.

This doesn't appear to be a new idea in fiction either. A quick search of the IMDb turns up a 1972 movie with a similar plot device.

I guess Windwhistler is right, as even Acid Bath Haig didn't destroy all the evidence. I suppose the use of pigs would be sufficient just to divert suspision, until law enforcement actually came looking for evidence. At that point the idea probably fails.

You could always claim the pigs killed him? Or maybe not...

One More Thing...

Something else occurs to me. There's only one reason to raise pigs - they're sold for meat. I'd rather imagine that some of the locals are having second thoughts about eating pork now...

unfortunately the use of pigs to dispose of bodies is true. traditionally used by mafia in sicily

Re: One More Thing...

Windwhistler said:
Something else occurs to me. There's only one reason to raise pigs - they're sold for meat. I'd rather imagine that some of the locals are having second thoughts about eating pork now...
Rather reminds me of the words of Ilkley Moor ('baht'at).

A rough translation and precis is that when you've died of cold (through going on the moor without your hat) the worms will eat you up; the ducks will eat the worms; we will eat the ducks; "and then we shall all 'ave eaten thee!"

It's called recycling....

(This post produced entirely with recycled electrons.)

I TOLD you guys we have a plethora of serial killers here in the Pacific Northwest (and I'm counting BC in here too). Pigs for gods sakes, what next? Flesh eating cows? I've always heard that pigs (and goats for that matter) will eat anything...but apparently they found ID cards and such undigestible. LOL Anyway, that lets our Green River Killer off the hook for those particular killings....

Perhaps I can add to this....I come from a long line of pig farmers, and it is true that pigs will eat a human body. Pigs are omnivores, and scavengers, and they regularly eat meat in the wild. You'll seldom find small mammals in a field where sows are kept, for that reason. Pigs have rather sharp teeth in front, and large, grinding molars in back of their mouths. It's certainly possible that several large sows weighing about 300-500 lbs each could dispose of most of a human body, even the clothing. Large bones would not present a problem, as they would be crunched up along with everything else. Sows particularly, are more voracious in their appetites than boars, and need more fat and protein in their diet. Even plastic could be eaten- I've seen pieces of metal, cloth, rocks, and plastic taken from the stomachs of pigs- they're not toopicky about what they pick up while they're eating. Growing up, I was always told to stay away from the sow pens. There were always stories told of older people who had a heart attack or stroke while out slopping, and were eaten by the pigs when they fell. There were also stories of children being trampled (a much greater threat to little kids; pigs are a lot bigger than most people realize) and then possibly eaten. And ornery pigs do try to knock you down, although I doubt very much to eat you- pigs are not very predatory, at least not towards anything larger than, say, a mouse. Pigs will also bite, and they bite very hard with very sharp teeth- I've seen people need stitches from the injury. So it's very possible for pigs to eat a person, although they would have to be dead, and probably quite rotted as well- pigs seem to prefer carrion to fresh meat. Macabre, I know, but no one ever claimed farming was a pretty pastime.

I thought this farmer slaughtered pigs and boiled their carcasses in big vats. So he wasn't feeding bodies to pigs but sending human bodies (rendered down to meaty sludge) off to meat processing plants.

I'm glad I'm vegetarian.

My grandmother used to tell me the story of how my grandfather who was a policeman in the 30s had a case in the Blue Mountains,where a fellow was cut to bits and fed to the pigs.It appears that only a little bone from his back(perhaps that bit thats left after cremation) was left and thats how they got the murderer.I trapped pigs for 4 months in The Gulf of Carpentaria in 1981 and they eat anything.We would bait the traps with wallabys usually 6 to a trap and within 2 or 3 days they would be eaten.I sat for 6 hours up a small tree one day with large boars and sows and piglets milling around below,very scary.

actually Ginoide is used more in Sardinia (mind you it happens in Sicily too ) specially during kidnapping cases
i know because i lived in sardinia for about 12 years and i knew of some people keeping pigs for that as well.
the only thing is pigs don't eat everything from a corpse but i've been assured that after pigs have been through a corpse the rem,ains are more easily burnt or disposed of

Do you know what "nemesis" means?

According to "Snatch"....

The best way of getting rid of a body is to cut it into six pieces and pile 'em all togevver, then feed 'em to the pigs. You've got to starve the pigs for a few days, after which the sight of a dead body will look like curry to a pisshead.
You've got to shave the head and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestive system. Of course, you can do that afterwards, but you don't want to be sifting through pig shit now do ya?
They will go through bone like butter.
You'll need 16 pigs in one sitting, which can devour a 200lb man in about eight minutes. This means a single pig can get through about 2lb of uncooked flesh every minute.
Hence the phrase, "as greedy as a pig".......

Pos. Canada's biggest serial killer (that they have caught and know the number of murders anyway). For some reason i was sure I'd read something here about him but I couldn't find anything.

Pickton will face 7 more charges

DANIEL GIRARD
WESTERN CANADA BUREAU

NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C.—A former pig farmer accused of being Canada's worst serial killer will face seven more murder charges, bringing to 22 his alleged victims.

Robert William Pickton, 54, sat expressionless during a video appearance in British Columbia Supreme Court yesterday as the crown announced the additional first-degree murder charges will be laid before the sensational trial begins.

The new charges follow a preliminary hearing earlier this year for Pickton, whose pig farm in the Vancouver suburb of Port Coquitlam was the focal point of one of the most expensive criminal investigations in Canadian history. Evidence from the preliminary is the subject of a sweeping publication ban.

When that hearing wrapped up in July, Provincial Court Judge David Stone committed Pickton to trial on 15 counts related to the deaths of women missing from Vancouver's poorest neighbourhood.

Families of some of the seven women involved in the additional counts expressed a mixture of emotions yesterday.

"It's a great relief," said Marilyn Kraft, whose daughter Cindy Feliks, went missing in 1997. "It acknowledges her life mattered.

Rick Frey, who was told Pickton will be charged with killing his 24-year-old daughter, Marnie, knows nothing will bring her back.

"Not a day goes by that we don't bring up her name and think of her. It wears you down."

Source

For more info see this page that has tracked developments in the acse:

http://www.ultimateinsult.net/truecrime/archives/cat_robert_william_pickton.html

see also:

http://www.primetimecrime.com/Recent/murder_ Pickton.htm

http://www.karisable.com/skazpicton.htm

Emps

Yes, I'm sure we had a thread about this when the story first broke, but I can't find it now. The case attracted much gruesome sensationalism in the press because of rumours that the victims were fed to the pigs.

The real tragedy is that these disappearances went on for years and no one did anything. Prostitutes' reports that their friends were missing were ignored. Street cops knew that something was going on but their superiors wouldn't listen.

naitaka said:
Yes, I'm sure we had a thread about this when the story first broke, but I can't find it now.

No I did search around with pos. spelling variations on the name. It has been mentioned in passing in a thread on disposing of bodies with pigs:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2431

but that is a whole different kettle of fish (or sty full of body parts).

[Edit: Esp. as it isn't known (as far as I'm aware) if he was using the pigs to dispose of the bodies]

Emps

BBCi 28/1/04

More news on Pickton:

Women's remains at Canada farm

Police conducted a detailed search of Pickton's farm
The remains of nine women have been found at a Canadian pig farm owned by a man accused of being a serial killer.
Robert Pickton has already been charged with murdering 22 women, most of whom were linked to Vancouver's sex trade.

The 53-year-old has been in custody since his arrest in February 2002 - his farm searched for the last 18 months.

Police confirmed the discovery of nine more bodies on the farm, and added that they had so far been unable to identify three of the women.

"We believe that these DNA profiles belong to women who are missing but not yet reported missing to police," said Vancouver police spokeswoman Sheila Sullivan.

The other six were on a list of more than 60 prostitutes who have disappeared from the Vancouver area over the past two decades, she added.

Task force

Nearly all the women whose remains have been found were linked to prostitution and drugs in Vancouver's poor downtown eastside neighbourhood.

They vanished over a period of 25 years.

Police formed a task force to investigate the disappearances three years ago.

They have been criticised by relatives of the dead or missing for not taking their concerns seriously.

Investigators have spent nearly two years searching Mr Pickton's farm near Vancouver, pulling down buildings brick by brick and sifting through tons of soil and debris.

No trial date has been set. Preliminary hearings are expected to begin in September.

If found guilty, Mr Pickton would be Canada's worst serial killer.

it's not that he was using pigs to dispose of the bodies as much as apparently he took human parts, mixed them in with pig parts and sent them to the rendering plant.... where no doubt they got made into dog food or whatever :eek!!!!:

sninik said:
it's not that he was using pigs to dispose of the bodies as much as apparently he took human parts, mixed them in with pig parts and sent them to the rendering plant.... where no doubt they got made into dog food or whatever :eek!!!!:

It appears to be the whatever that is scary:

Canadian Official: Human Remains May Be in Meat

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Human remains may have been in meat processed for human consumption at a pig farm that has been the site of an extensive investigation into Canada's worst serial killing case, British Columbia's provincial health officer said Wednesday.

"What I know from the RCMP is we can't rule out the possibility of cross-contamination," Dr. Perry Kendall said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

When asked if cross-contamination meant human remains found their way into meat processed at the farm, Kendall said: "It's very disturbing to think about, but (there is) the possibility of some cross-contamination. But the degree of it or when or how much we really don't know."

"I think if we could rule it out, we definitely would like to," he added.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (search) investigators have found the remains of 22 women at the suburban farm owned by Robert William Pickton (search), 54, who has been charged with 15 counts of first-degree murder in the disappearances of women over the past 20 years. Police said earlier this year they expected additional charges against Pickton.

Many of the victims vanished from Vancouver's drug-infested downtown eastside. In all, 31 women have been confirmed dead in the case.

The investigation into the case was ignited by a police raid on the farm owned by Pickton and his brother and sister in Port Coquitlam, east of Vancouver, on Feb. 6, 2002. Police wrapped up the bulk of their investigation at the site last November.

Kendall said he was asked by Health Canada to do a "worst-case assessment" and to look into the health risk from consumption from the farm's slaughterhouse.

"There's a very low risk of any human disease being transmitted in that fashion," Kendall said.

Pickton is not expected to go to trial until late this year or early in 2005.

Cpl. Catherine Galliford of the Missing Women's Task Force (search) would not confirm or deny Kendall's information.

Police scheduled a news conference for late Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,113872,00.html

Meat from accused killer's farm may have contained human remains

Thursday, March 11, 2004 Posted: 0224 GMT (1024 HKT)

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) -- Pork products processed and distributed from the farm of accused Canadian serial killer Robert Pickton may have contained human remains, police and health officials said Wednesday.

Pickton raised and slaughtered pigs at the Port Coquitlam farm as a part-time occupation until his arrest at the property in February 2002, and police believe he gave or sold processed meat products to friends and acquaintances.

Pickton, 53, is awaiting trial in the killings of at least 22 of more than 60 missing Vancouver prostitutes who disappeared over the past decade and are feared to have been murdered at the dilapidated farm 20 miles east of Vancouver.

"Given the state of the farm, and what we know about the investigation, we cannot rule out the possibility that cross-contamination may have occurred," B.C. provincial Health Officer Perry Kendall told reporters in Victoria.

"Cross-contamination could mean that human remains did get into or contaminate some of the pork meat," Kendall said.

Officials stressed that the farm's pig slaughtering operation was not officially licensed and he did not sell processed meat to retail outlets.

"There is no evidence we are dealing with anything other than a very specific localized issue, with a specific number of local people," said Cpl. Catherine Galliford of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Kendall said he was not contacted by the police until last month when they asked a "hypothetical question' about the potential health risk. He issued the alert when they later said it probably happened.

Details of evidence from the farm were presented in court last year at Pickton's preliminary hearing, but a court order prohibits reporters who covered the hearing from publishing details of what they heard until it is used in his trial, which will likely not start until next year.

Police defended the timing of their contacting health officials, saying it was needed to protect the investigation, although they also acknowledged more people may have received meat from Pickton than they had orginally thought.

"We have carefully considered all the issues," said Vancouver Police Detective Shelia Sullivan.

Pickton is officially charged with 15 murders but prosecutors have said seven more counts are waiting to be filed. Tests have identified the DNA of nine more women, but not yet resulted in charges.

The victims were among more than 60 drug-addicted prostitutes who disappeared from Vancouver's poor Downtown Eastside neighborhood. Families of the missing women expressed horror at the news, with one telling a Vancouver radio station bluntly. "I'm not eating dinner tonight."

Pickton, in custody since his arrest, is the only person charged in the case. He has not entered a plea to the criminal charges but denied wrongdoing in a related civil lawsuit.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/03/10/crime.pigfarm.reut/index.html

Everyone here who has been following the investigation from Day 1 or futilely trying not to (it's the evergreen topic on all TV and radio stations if there's a dryout of other news) knows that for years Hell's Angels had been having wild parties and orgies on the farm, but since they are above the law in Canada, the pig farmer Willy will end up carrying the can alone. :(

I was in Van when this story initially broke. I seem to remember there was some concern before the time that there were rumours that hundreds of women who had gone missing and no-one was particularly bothered by this. The other thing I remember is how little (if ever) I saw the police around the Hastings part of the City where a number of the women would have disappeared from.

Human remains may have been in pig farm meat

Suprised this has not already been posted here...:eek:

Health officer: Human remains may have been in pig farm meat

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Human remains may have been in meat processed for human consumption at a pig farm that has been the site of an extensive investigation into Canada's worst serial killing case, British Columbia's provincial health officer says.

"What I know from the RCMP is we can't rule out the possibility of cross-contamination," Dr. Perry Kendall said in an interview with The Canadian Press on Wednesday.

When asked if cross-contamination meant human remains found their way into meat processed at the farm, Kendall said: "It's very disturbing to think about, but (there is) the possibility of some cross-contamination. But the degree of it or when or how much we really don't know."

"I think if we could rule it out, we definitely would like to," he said.

Kendall has asked anyone who may still have frozen pork products from Pickton's farm to return those products to police.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police investigators have found the remains of 22 women at the suburban farm owned by Robert William Pickton, 54, who has been charged with 15 counts of first-degree murder in the disappearances of women over the past 20 years. Police said earlier this year they expected additional charges against Pickton.

Many of the victims vanished from Vancouver's drug-infested downtown eastside. In all, 31 women have been confirmed dead in the case.

Lynn Frey, who was told earlier this year that her daughter Marnie's DNA had been found at the farm, was appalled.

"It's disgusting," she said. "It's absolutely insane. How many people have eaten something from that farm? Even if you did get a pig from that farm seven years ago, you think it's going to still be in your freezer?"

Frey said all that police say they've found of her daughter is DNA. "Where the heck's the rest of her body?"

She also questioned why there hasn't been a thorough Canadian Food Inspection Agency investigation of the case.

Marc Richard, a spokesman for the agency, was caught off guard by questions about the possible contamination. He said he was told an announcement was planned for release Thursday.

He said he would not comment on the case, because it is part of a criminal investigation.

The investigation into whether meat from the Pickton pig farm was contaminated began last Friday.

Cpl. Cate Galliford, spokeswoman for the RCMP and Vancouver Police joint task force into the missing women case, said police contacted the B.C. Center for Disease Control after discovering that "the circle of people who may have received meat was somewhat larger than we originally anticipated."

Dr. David Patrick, director of Communicable Disease Epidemiology, said officials at his facility were asked if they would be able to "do some testing for some human pathogens in some product."

Patrick would not elaborate, although he said the center's HIV group was called in February and was asked hypothetical questions about risks of whether HIV could be transmitted in contaminated meat.

"But there was no indication that it was a real concern," Patrick said. "And we get asked at this place hypothetical concerns left, right and center."

On Monday, the RCMP asked Health Canada to conduct a public-health risk assessment.

The assessment concluded there is a low risk of anyone contracting hepatitis B and an even lower risk of contracting hepatitis C or HIV. The risk is even lower if the meat was cooked properly, a statement from Health Canada said.

Pickton apparently had a habit of slaughtering pigs, wrapping up the meat and distributing it to associates and friends, Kendall said, calling the unlicensed slaughter facility very unsanitary.

"We have reason to believe that there is a strong possibility that some of the product from the Pickton farms - and how much the RCMP do not know - may still be sitting in some people's freezer in the Lower Mainland," Kendall said.

It was unclear Wednesday how many people might have received meat, but friends of Pickton's said earlier they had received gifts of freshly slaightered pig. One woman said last year that Pickton often gave her such gifts, which she took to an eastside supermarket to be cut and packaged.

The Vancouver Province has reported that hundreds of people visited the farm for weekend pig roasts and cockfights over the past five to 10 years.

Some of those people visited the farm and left with meat, the newspaper reported.

Kendall and police acknowledged the pain the meat alert could have to the families of the missing women.

"I am very sensitive to the issues and very sensitive to the concern it will raise in people's mind," he said, "but I felt from an ethical and health standpoint ... we had to communicate this issue."

Marilyn Kraft, whose daughter Cynthia Feliks is among the missing, was angry that police made the news public Wednesday.

"It's sickening," she said from Calgary. "Why have they waited so long? They knew last year some of that could be contaminated. All they're going to do is create panic. It's too damned late to do something."

The investigation into the missing women case was ignited by a police raid of a farm owned by Pickton and his brother and sister in Port Coquitlam, east of Vancouver, on Feb. 6, 2002. Police wrapped up the bulk of their investigation at the site last November.

Pickton is not expected to go to trial until late this year or early in 2005

PETA messes up

Earlier story form 2002:

Animal rights campaign compares murdered women to meat

Last Updated Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:17:24

VANCOUVER - A new ad campaign by an animal rights group compares the murder of women on a B.C. pig farm to the treatment of animals killed for food.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) says the full-page ad is a legitimate campaign, but the families of the murdered women say it's disgusting.

The Vancouver Province was to have run the ad Wednesday, but decided to pull it.

The ad featured a series of headlines describing the B.C. murder victims, who were drugged and slaughtered, their heads sawed off and their body parts refrigerated.

It doesn't refer specifically to accused killer Robert Pickton, but the allusions to the case are clear, referring to unconfirmed reports of body parts being found on Pickton's pig farm.

PETA says the comparison is justified.

"The grotesque tragedy of these poor women is similar to what happens to chickens, pigs and other animals every day," said Bruce Friedrich of PETA.

PETA issued a news release saying, "People who are appalled by Pickton's alleged acts think nothing of sitting down to a dinner featuring the cut-up bits of a tormented animal's body."

The ad ends with the words "If this leaves a bad taste in your mouth – become a vegetarian."

Jack Cummer, the grandfather of Andrea Joesbury, one of the women Pickton is accused of killing, says he's horrified by the ad.

"That is the most disgusting thing I've heard in my whole life," he said.

The families of the victims say PETA is exploiting the tragedy to further its cause.

"It's unethical in and of itself. It angers me, but it also saddens me," said Ernie Cray, whose sister Dawn has been missing for two years.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/11/13/peta021113

and the current news story:

Backlash spurs PETA to pull grisly anti-meat ads

Colin Perkel
The Canadian Press

Thursday, April 22, 2004

TORONTO - A fierce backlash sparked by ads that exploit the grisly serial killings of women in British Columbia has prompted a militant animal-rights group to dump plans to expand its current anti-meat campaign to three Canadian cities.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said Thursday its intention was not to hurt the victims' families.

"The one unexpected aspect was hearing from the family members, who were and are not the target of the campaign," Bruce Friedrich, PETA's director of vegan campaigns, said from Washington, D.C.

"Our intention was to provoke meat-eaters, not upset the families."

The ad in question shows a young woman on one side, a "smiling" pig on the other, and a slogan: Neither of us is meat.

It's a reference to the case of Robert Pickton, who is to stand trial late this year or early in 2005 on charges he killed 15 women on his farm in Port Coquitlam, B.C.

The province's medical officer of health said recently meat products from Pickton's farm may have contained human remains.

Among those who pleaded with PETA to drop the campaign was Paul Barnard, whose sister-in-law was among 60 women who vanished from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

"If (PETA's) objective was the shock value, they shocked more people than they intended to," Barnard said Thursday from Pine Falls, Man.

"This one was a little over the top. As a family we're still trying to digest it."

The billboard ads went up late last month in Toronto and Edmonton, and the group had planned to plaster the downtowns of Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa with similar posters.

While the billboards will stay in place for another two weeks, the posters will instead be used in the U.S. and a different one posted in the Canadian cities, starting in mid-May.

Barnard said he's grateful the posters won't go up but expressed disappointment the billboards won't come down immediately.

"If their basis (for pulling the posters) is ethics and morals, you would apply it everywhere."

Not since the group enlisted Albertan singer k.d. lang for its "meat stinks" advertisements almost 15 years ago has one of its campaigns evoked such strong reaction in Canada.

Even Prime Minister Paul Martin weighed in, calling the campaign unacceptable. Newspaper editorialists and columnists accused PETA of hurting its own cause by going too far.

Advertising Standards Canada, the self-regulating industry group that handles consumer complaints, received at least two-dozen related to the billboard.

Friedrich said he was surprised by the backlash.

"I really don't get what all the fuss is about," he said.

http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=06cad771-4409-4ecc-8a59-01d2b9331bc1

Emps

Pickton property up, too

By Janis Cleugh
The Tri-City News

The assessed value of Tri-City's most infamous piece of land increased by more than $1.6 million over the past year.

The property co-owned by accused serial killer Robert Pickton at 953 Dominion Ave. in Port Coquitlam - assessed at $4.2 million a year ago - is now worth $5.9 million, according to figures released this week from BC Assessment, North Fraser office.

The actual value of the property is based on real estate market conditions in the Tri-Cities.

Local assessor Kash Kang said he could not discuss particulars about the evaluation with the media. "In general terms, there have been significant increases in development lands and acreage that are available for development purposes," Kang said.

But assessors also look at the condition of the land. In February 2002, Pickton's land became the site of the largest criminal investigation in Canadian history after DNA of women missing from Vancouver's downtown eastside was allegedly found there. Police work at the farm ended in late 2003.

The investigation "was a major issue over the last couple of years with that property" in terms of assessment, Kang said. "As of Oct. 31, 2004, there was no longer any seizure or activity on that site. That was one of the reasons for the assessment going up."

As well, the city has spent $2.5 million to upgrade Dominion Avenue to install sidewalks, curbs, gutters and street lighting. Another $5.36 million has been budgeted this year for work on Dominion Avenue, said PoCo's city engineer Francis Cheung.

Pickton is expected to make an appearance via video conference March 31 in BC Supreme Court in New Westminster for a hearing. Pickton is charged with the first-degree murder in the deaths of 15 women who went missing in Vancouver.

Source

I don't know anything about the size of the property or which direction the city is growing, but that increase doesn't sound unreasonable given that the street's been improved. It's possible that the ongoing investigation has been holding the property value down - I'll have to ask the boss about this (day job doing word processing for a real estate appraiser), but I'd think that a property's being held as evidence would restrict its sale and therefore limit its value in the same way that any other encumbrance would.

It wasn't clear to me from the article whether BC Assessors was the public tax assessor or a private firm. In my area, at any rate, the public assessor takes a by-guess-and-by-god approach to mass appraisal for tax purposes, generally keeping the assessed values well below market value but bumping them up wholesale periodically to account for increasing values in the market. It costs money and time to do a proper appraisal of each individual property and your county assessor can't afford to do it on your tax dollar. Most likely, when the investigation started the assessed value was frozen, and when it ended, the assessor's office bumped it up to a price/acre (I'm presuming the land is more valuable than the improvements in an area that only recently got sidewalks) compatible with the rest of the neighborhood, which had already been bumped up as a result of improved city amenities.

If the appraisal was done by a private firm, I expect my opposite number found herself typing something like the following words into the report more than once, probably in conjunction with assumptions about environmentally hazardous materials: "Until recently, the property had been used for criminal purposes. It is assumed that all traces of criminal activity have been removed and that the property can be sold and developed normally. Criminal activity is outside my area of expertise, and a professional should be consulted. If this assumption should prove false, the opinion of market value may be affected. "

Back