• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Happy Shopper Daleks!
Police robot told woman to go away after she tried to report crime – then sang a song.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/04/poli...55At8GnjbvyGDwpdGhpkclGKfzWtIGcAKh_qZdHmWWzpE
First I've heard of these police robot devices, big help they are!
Our officers now wear body cams, which are videoing everything said and done in front of them. Recently an officer got a bit testy with me, and said, 'Don't forget you're on body cam', to which I replied, 'So are you!' :)

I’m currently reading a biography of Harry Houdini, the famous escapologist and magician.

A fact about him that l didn’t know previously was that he appeared in a 1919 film series depicting the world’s first “robot”: The Master Mystery.

(This was the year before Karel Čapek’s R.U.R., the stage play that introduced the world to the word “robot”.)

FF to about 7:30 to be rooted to the spot in sheer horror:

:rofl:

maximus otter

I’m currently reading a biography of Harry Houdini, the famous escapologist and magician.

A fact about him that l didn’t know previously was that he appeared in a 1919 film series depicting the world’s first “robot”: The Master Mystery.

(This was the year before Karel Čapek’s R.U.R., the stage play that introduced the world to the word “robot”.)

FF to about 7:30 to be rooted to the spot in sheer horror:

:rofl:

maximus otter
The robot carrying a candelabra!! LOL

I'm just going to put it out there - I reckon it was really just a bloke wearing a robot outfit.

The-Fun-Sponge.jpg

maximus otter

Delivery drone

Hovers over destination then drops ‘droid’ containing the package on a cord. An earlier model has been used to deliver medical supplies in remote locations since 2016.

1679925232573.png

Video at link.

Locomotion has seen dramatic progress for walking or running across challenging terrains. However, robotic quadrupeds are still far behind their biological counterparts, such as dogs, which display a variety of agile skills and can use the legs beyond locomotion to perform several basic manipulation tasks like interacting with objects and climbing. In this paper, we take a step towards bridging this gap by training quadruped robots not only to walk but also to use the front legs to climb walls, press buttons, and perform object interaction in the real world. To handle this challenging optimization, we decouple the skill learning broadly into locomotion, which involves anything that involves movement whether via walking or climbing a wall, and manipulation, which involves using one leg to interact while balancing on the other three legs. These skills are trained in simulation using curriculum and transferred to the real world using our proposed sim2real variant that builds upon recent locomotion success. Finally, we combine these skills into a robust long-term plan by learning a behavior tree that encodes a high-level task hierarchy from one clean expert demonstration. We evaluate our method in both simulation and real-world showing successful executions of both short as well as long-range tasks and how robustness helps confront external perturbations.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/11/23679297/nypd-robot-dog-spot-surveillance-boston-dynamics

The NYPD is bringing back its robot dog​

The New York Police Department is reenlisting Digidog, the four-legged robot that the city faced backlash for deploying a few years back, as reported earlier by The New York Times. NYC Mayor Eric Adams announced the news during a press event on Tuesday, stating that the use of Digidog in the city can “save lives.”

Digidog — also known as Spot — is a remote-controlled robot made by the Hyundai-owned Boston Dynamics. It’s designed to work in situations that may pose a threat to humans, helping to do things like perform inspections in dangerous areas and monitor construction sites. However, Boston Dynamics also touts its use as a public safety tool, which the NYPD has tried in the past.

In 2020, the NYPD used the Digidog for reconnaissance during a situation that had a gunman barricaded inside of a building and again deployed the robot in the midst of a home invasion in 2021 to get a glimpse at what was going on inside the home. After critics spoke out against the use of the Digidog over concerns about surveillance and the weaponization of the police, the NYPD quickly canceled its contract with Boston Dynamics.

The Surveillance Technology Oversight Project (STOP), a group that advocates against the use of local and state-level surveillance, has denounced Mayor Adams’ move. “The NYPD is turning bad science fiction into terrible policing,” Albert Fox Cahn, STOP’s executive director, says in a statement. “New York deserves real safety, not a knockoff robocop. Wasting public dollars to invade New Yorkers’ privacy is a dangerous police stunt.”

City officials say that the NYPD will acquire two robot dogs for a total of $750,000, according to the NYT, and that they will only be used during life-threatening situations, such as bomb threats.

“I believe that technology is here; we cannot be afraid of it,” Mayor Adams said during Tuesday’s press conference. “A few loud people were opposed to it, and we took a step back — that is not how I operate. I operate on looking at what’s best for the city.”

The city’s readoption of Digidog is dredging up the same concerns about the NYPD’s use of public funds, along with the effect the camera-equipped robot might have on privacy and public safety. There haven’t yet been any cases where the Digidog has been weaponized, and doing so would go against Boston Dynamics’ terms of service.

In addition to deploying Digidog, Mayor Adams and the NYPD also announced that it’s piloting two additional, equally unsettling types of technologies. The first is the use of StarChase’s Guardian HX, a handheld or car-mounted launcher that shoots GPS tracking tags onto vehicles to track them during car chases. There’s also the K5 ASR, a machine from a company called Knightscope that’s described as a “fully autonomous outdoor security robot.” As noted by the NYT, the NYPD will use the bot to collect intelligence.

NYC Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell said during the press conference that the NYPD’s rollout of these technologies will be “transparent, consistent, and always done in collaboration with the people that we serve.” She also added that neither Digidog nor the K5 ASR would use facial recognition technology.

When asked what the NYPD is doing differently to alleviate residents’ concerns about safety and surveillance, Adams cited that the city is putting all three machines out on display in Times Square. “Digidog is out of the pound,” Adams states. “This is the beginning of a series of rollouts we are going to do to show how public safety has transformed itself.”

A fun kitchen robot!

Today, I stumbled upon this devilish knife-wielding robot lady.

If you want to enhance your automatic meat-chopping machine and scare people away, just add a mannequin head on top of it. Nobody will dare enter your kitchen, and you'll be able to cook in peace. Bon appetit!

From Instagram:

"Chop-o-matic Bizarro Style. Sound. Be careful of your fingers. ฿Ɇ₴₮ ł₦ ฿łⱫ₳ⱤⱤɆ ₣ØⱠⱠØ₩ @bizarredoctor"

Screen-Shot-2023-04-11-at-8.08.52-PM.png

https://boingboing.net/2023/04/16/watch-meat-get-chopped-by-devilish-knife-wielding-robot-lady.html

Moment woman flips out at robot ‘receptionist’ and smashes it up with plank of wood in huge meltdown

The crazed woman from China completely lost her cool with the machine before bashing it to pieces.

The robotic "receptionist" was used to check in patients in the lobby of the Affiliated Hospital of Xuzhou Medical University in the city of Xuzhou.

But in footage taken at the hospital, the woman can be seen with a large stick in hand before shouting abuse at the machine.

The wild clip then shows the woman repeatedly hitting the robot with the thick piece of wood, with pieces of the machine scattered all over the floor.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7981482/woman-flips-out-robot-receptionist-smashes-plank-wood-meltdown/

maximus otter

Moment woman flips out at robot ‘receptionist’ and smashes it up with plank of wood in huge meltdown

The crazed woman from China completely lost her cool with the machine before bashing it to pieces.

The robotic "receptionist" was used to check in patients in the lobby of the Affiliated Hospital of Xuzhou Medical University in the city of Xuzhou.

But in footage taken at the hospital, the woman can be seen with a large stick in hand before shouting abuse at the machine.

The wild clip then shows the woman repeatedly hitting the robot with the thick piece of wood, with pieces of the machine scattered all over the floor.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7981482/woman-flips-out-robot-receptionist-smashes-plank-wood-meltdown/

maximus otter
I'm on this person's side on this one. I'd put up with a hotel robot receptionist or fast food robot etc but all people going to hospitals are usually 'a bit out of sorts' otherwise they wouldn't be going to a hospital in the first place. She, like all of us, would just prefer to talk to a human in these situations.

You turn up to the hospital, you're tired and not feeling well, probably a bit frightened but hoping nobody notices too much and then when you finally get there, you're met with a gimmick 6ft 'metal micky' toy instead? .. **** that! .. and I doubt the foyer has random planks of wood lying around day to day so I expect she brought her plank with her because she's had enough.

edit: back in a bit Max .. I'm just off down to the Morrisons self services counter (after I've popped into B&Q first)

Kind of like the old Dalek problem. Vid at link.

Cambridgeshire firefighters help Co-op grocery delivery robots​

Firefighters came to the rescue of delivery robots that found their path blocked by crews tackling a derelict building blaze.

The robots, now common in parts of Cambridge, are used by the Co-op in the city for customers to order home or workplace deliveries.

But they found their path blocked by a fire engine and hoses, in Brookfields in the city, on Saturday night.

Posting on X, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: "Sorry @coopuk our hoses and fire engines confused your delivery robots in Cambridge this evening as we tackled a building fire, but firefighters helped them on their way - hopefully not too many delays!"

The supermarket thanked the crew for its assistance and posted it was " glad to hear they were able to help".

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66841088

The Dalek problem again.

Screen-Shot-2023-09-22-at-7.17.43-PM.png

Screengrab: CBS New York / YouTube.com

The New York City Police Department is set to deploy a law-enforcement robot, but it's less Robocop and more R2-D2, only without the functionality. It's called K5, and it will "patrol" the Times Square station's mezzanine station (it can't go downstairs to the platform).

Link to the article in The New York Times here.
The robot, armed with four cameras, will record video but not audio. It will not employ facial recognition and — at a moment when the mayor is calling for vital city agencies to slash 5 percent of their budgets — the cost of leasing it averages out to about $9 per hour.

It's hard to imagine how this oversized roomba will help. Subway stations are already riddled with cameras. Apparently you can press a button to call for assistance, but how is that better than a button on the wall, or using your phone?

https://boingboing.net/2023/09/23/a-short-squat-useless-robocop-comes-to-nyc.html

Last edited:
Vids at link.

Sex robots plagued with coding errors could be prone to violent behaviours including strangling, an expert has warned.

Doll collector Brick Dollbanger fears violent repercussions if robotics are not regulated properly.

He believes a simple "coding error" could turn AI girlfriends against their owners if they are equipped with free will.

Brick, who has closed ties with manufacturers Realbotix and Abyss, told Daily Star Online: "It scares me to death, it's a machine and it's always going to be a machine.

"If you've watched the movies, Ex-Machina, because I honestly believe synthetics are going to look very similar to that movie.

"It's not going to be something you can hit with a pipe and it's going to fall apart.

"I've always said, when a synthetic can support itself, that synthetic is going to be much stronger than a normal human.

"It's going to be more durable, instead of having bones it's going to have high impact, plastic or aluminium frame, it's going to be very strong, and it won't get tired, it won't stop unless it runs out of an energy supply.

0_Screen-Shot-2019-08-23-at-131632.png

Realbotix sex robots are being installed with vision

"Unless you can stop it with some kind of projectile, like a gun or something like that, if this thing got out of control it could do some serious damage."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/sex-robots-coding-errors-prone-18992240

Vids at link.

Sex robots plagued with coding errors could be prone to violent behaviours including strangling, an expert has warned.

Doll collector Brick Dollbanger fears violent repercussions if robotics are not regulated properly.

He believes a simple "coding error" could turn AI girlfriends against their owners if they are equipped with free will.

Brick, who has closed ties with manufacturers Realbotix and Abyss, told Daily Star Online: "It scares me to death, it's a machine and it's always going to be a machine.

"If you've watched the movies, Ex-Machina, because I honestly believe synthetics are going to look very similar to that movie.

"It's not going to be something you can hit with a pipe and it's going to fall apart.

"I've always said, when a synthetic can support itself, that synthetic is going to be much stronger than a normal human.

"It's going to be more durable, instead of having bones it's going to have high impact, plastic or aluminium frame, it's going to be very strong, and it won't get tired, it won't stop unless it runs out of an energy supply.

"Unless you can stop it with some kind of projectile, like a gun or something like that, if this thing got out of control it could do some serious damage."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/sex-robots-coding-errors-prone-18992240
'Brick Dollbanger'?

Vids at link.

Is it a coding error or have they had enough?

Anyone remember Niska in Humans?

Back