• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Roebuck In The Thicket

Alexius4

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I wish I could take credit for making this up, but it happens to be true...

A few years ago, I spent some time as a volunteer with the TA. One night, on exercise somewhere in East Anglia, I was on sentry duty, flat on my stomach in a thicket within a wood with a Slovenian infantry sergeant (who was afraid of the dark :) ). It was the wee hours: the moon had set, it was over cast and dark and still. I was scanning the woods to the fore with a night scope for prowlers...

Having scanned across my arc, back, mid and foreground, I lowered my rifle - and there, right in front of my face, was a small white deer. Inches away. It looked at me and bounded away into the darkness. I brought my scope back up to find it, but nothing. It had vanished.

I nudged the Slovenian and asked her if she had just seen or heard anything, but she said no. I decided not to tell her what had just happened, as she was jumpy enough as it was...

So I went home and re-read 'The White Goddess'...

When I was a kid, growing up in South East London, I was lucky enough to live near a large common and park. Connected to it were many allotments. Once, while "stalking" a freind during a game, I almost tripped when I felt a small fluid body pass right between my legs. As I looked, expecting a cat, I saw a small fox dive into nearby bushes.
Urban foxes might be common now, but it really startled me - almost being knocked over by a fox in broad daylight!

Back