• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rotherham Ghost Club

can't help, I'm in Glasgow but good luck and please post about how you get on! :D

Sadly - you might need to be to get your thing started.

I didn't want to but kind of had to so I could assist with the maintenance and running of a Norfolk UFO sightings recording area. I wish it wasn't but it seems the best way to get something social like what you're planning up and running.

Sadly - you might need to be to get your thing started.

I didn't want to but kind of had to so I could assist with the maintenance and running of a Norfolk UFO sightings recording area. I wish it wasn't but it seems the best way to get something social like what you're planning up and running.

It's really tricky, I'm not a fan of Facebook at all but i know it's how the world works nowadays.
The last time I went on Facebook most of the paranormal groups either wanted to be like Most Haunted or run the clubs as a business taking the public out on vigils. Once it's up and running we wouldn't need Facebook just a website.

Once it's up and running we wouldn't need Facebook just a website.

I've seen quite a few established websites taken themselves over to Facebook though mate. So much easier for the administrator/"owner" and the potential audience is infinitely bigger.

I must admit Facebook is easy to use and usually looks more professional than most ghost clubs websites.
The group I was with previously had a non-Facebook website and hardly got any hits at all.

Be careful who you take along. There's a ghost investigation group in my home town which includes a couple of members of a famously light-fingered family.

That group now has a very bad reputation.
I mean, would you want Bill Sikes and Fagin sneaking round your home in the dark? ;)

Be careful who you take along. There's a ghost investigation group in my home town which includes a couple of members of a famously light-fingered family.

That group now has a very bad reputation.
I mean, would you want Bill Sikes and Fagin sneaking round your home in the dark? ;)

Good point, my former group was very strict on who came on vigils with us and rightly so.
It's really hard to find someone you can trust.

I've seen quite a few established websites taken themselves over to Facebook though mate. So much easier for the administrator/"owner" and the potential audience is infinitely bigger.
The down-side is the inabilty to police posts and posters.

I set up a Facebook group for Gef the talking Mongoose a few years ago. I recruited the first batch of people by posting to Fortean groups and then it slowly gathered momentum by itself. It's now up to 750 members.

(I don't moderate it any more as I handed it over to some of the regular posters to look after.)

There are a lots of people who post in FB Fortean groups who don't belong to this forum. Also you'll probably find some groups or pages that cover local news and events in Rotherham.

The real work would come in finding a meeting place and coming up with a programme of events. If you want interesting speakers you'll probably have to pay them. Then there's all the admin.

I was once tempted to try and set up a Fortean group in Norwich, but the more I thought about it the more work seemed involved. Now I'm hoping someone else does it so all I have to do is join.

I set up a Facebook group for Gef the talking Mongoose a few years ago. I recruited the first batch of people by posting to Fortean groups and then it slowly gathered momentum by itself. It's now up to 750 members.

(I don't moderate it any more as I handed it over to some of the regular posters to look after.)

There are a lots of people who post in FB Fortean groups who don't belong to this forum. Also you'll probably find some groups or pages that cover local news and events in Rotherham.

The real work would come in finding a meeting place and coming up with a programme of events. If you want interesting speakers you'll probably have to pay them. Then there's all the admin.

I was once tempted to try and set up a Fortean group in Norwich, but the more I thought about it the more work seemed involved. Now I'm hoping someone else does it so all I have to do is join.
I set up the Edinburgh Fortean Society in 1999 and it's still going strong. The work required to run it is not too bad. We pay expenses but have never had to pay a speaker. You do get pleasure out of it so to anyone thinking of setting a group up I would encourage you to go for it. There used to be a blog post on the main site about some ideas on setting a group up but that went a long time ago...

I initially thought it would be easy to get a small group up and running but the more I think about it (as you rightly say - Graylien) it would be easier to join an already existing club. The trouble with that is that established clubs don't readily take on new members and most clubs are just emulating Most Haunted and Taps, more interested in internet fame than evidence and results.
I've noticed also that there is a lot of competition and conflict within the paranormal community - with the exception of a couple of really helpful and approachable guys in a now defunct Rotherham based club.
I was part of a local group for a good few years but left, mainly because some of the members were more interested in dabbling with black magic than gathering evidence.
Ideally I would like to set up something similar to the Scole Experiment - an intimate group of people that trust each other - no public "events" and as controlled as possible.
My interest lies in EVP and I'm looking to continue where I left off but in a safer, more controlled environment.
I'm just interested in audio and Evp not all the drama that seems to be part of many modern paranormal groups.

Last edited:
I set up the Edinburgh Fortean Society in 1999 and it's still going strong. The work required to run it is not too bad. We pay expenses but have never had to pay a speaker. You do get pleasure out of it so to anyone thinking of setting a group up I would encourage you to go for it. There used to be a blog post on the main site about some ideas on setting a group up but that went a long time ago...

I set up a group with a workmate and his girlfriend in 2008 and although it was short lived (they were setting up home and I had a young family at the time) I enjoyed it more than being part of someone else's group.
It never felt like hard work and it was enjoyable.
Our early vigils were a steep learning curve and I know the numerous pitfalls of setting up again.
Towards the end of my time with my previous group I attended vigils less and less and preferred listening through the audio than being on site with the group.
I toyed with the idea of being on offsite member - not attending vigils purely listening to the audio afterwards but you need to be present to set equipment up and rule out anything natural or foul play.

Last edited:
I've noticed also that there is a lot of competition and conflict within the paranormal community - with the exception of a couple of really helpful and approachable guys in a now defunct Rotherham based club.
Are you able to contact these guys? You could start with a couple of informal meetings, perhaps go somewhere outdoors to try some EVP (local stone circle or something) and see how it goes.

Are you able to contact these guys? You could start with a couple of informal meetings, perhaps go somewhere outdoors to try some EVP (local stone circle or something) and see how it goes.

I've been in contact with them quite a lot recently and we might be doing something later in the year.
They're not as active as they used to be but they're really trustworthy and they're very clued up.

I've been in contact with them quite a lot recently and we might be doing something later in the year.
They're not as active as they used to be but they're really trustworthy and they're very clued up.
Great. This sounds like the best way forward, even if it requires a bit of patience for the first meeting to occur! If you can start off with a couple of like-minded people to get things moving, finding others later to get a bit more of a group going should be easier. Good luck!

Great. This sounds like the best way forward, even if it requires a bit of patience for the first meeting to occur! If you can start off with a couple of like-minded people to get things moving, finding others later to get a bit more of a group going should be easier. Good luck!

I've pretty much badged them to start up again.
I just lost momentum with my last group, it became a bit of a game to some of them and there was a lot of activity. Towards the end I had a lot of things thrown at me, I was grabbed, shoved. It's really unnerving and I actually dreaded going out to certain places. It would be nice to get back to being part of a genuine paranormal investigation.

If you have a presence on FB then it's something to refer people to.

Back