• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Saint George: Not Only England, But Also....

Today, April 23rd, St Georges Day, is also my birthday!
Happy Birthday to me!
It is also the day on which my father passed away 3 years ago. Inconsiderate old git, lol.

Here are some other April 23rd related items.
William Shakespeare died in 1616 aged 52, reputedly also his birthday, although the exact date is unknown.
1661 sees the coronation of King Charles II in Westminster Abbey.
1850 William Wordsworth dies.
1858 Max Planck is born
1895 Carl Ludwig carks it.
In 1927 Cardiff City defeat Arsenal in the FA Cup Final, the only time it has been won by a team not based in England.
1932 Jim Fixx is born. He popularised the health benefits of regular running/jogging. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52 years of age.
1936 Roy Orbison is born.
1939 Lee Majors (The 6 million dollar man) is born.
1941 Ed (Stewpot) Stewart is born.
1954 Micheal Moore is born.
1965 George Adamski starts pushing up daisies.
1983 Buster Crabbe dies.
Coca-cola releases 'New Coke' in 1985, the response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than three months.
1996 P.L. Travers dies.
2005 The first You Tube video is released.
2005 John Mills dies.
2007 Boris Yeltsin dies.

Happy Birthday to me!
It is also the day on which my father passed away 3 years ago. Inconsiderate old git, lol.

William Shakespeare died in 1616 aged 52, reputedly also his birthday, although the exact date is unknown.
1858 Max Planck is born
In 1927 Cardiff City defeat Arsenal in the FA Cup Final, the only time it has been won by a team not based in England.
1932 Jim Fixx is born. He popularised the health benefits of regular running/jogging. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52 years of age.
1983 Buster Crabbe dies.
Coca-cola releases 'New Coke' in 1985, the response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than three months.
1996 P.L. Travers dies.
2005 John Mills dies.
2007 Boris Yeltsin dies.

Re: Bill Wagstaff, it's also possible he didn't die on the 23rd, from memory his burial date is the 25th, many think it's more likely he died on the 24th, as you didn't want a corpse hanging about in those days. Unless, they'd been gibbetted of course.

Happy Birthday to me!

1858 Max Planck is born
1983 Buster Crabbe dies.
1996 P.L. Travers dies.
2005 John Mills dies.
2007 Boris Yeltsin dies.
Happy birthday, Trev!

Unaccountably, you missed my paternal grandmother's birthday off there. Still, you'll know for next year.

Bill Wagstaff, it's also possible he didn't die on the 23rd

So even facts aren't true in this modern world?
Crikey.
Next you'll be telling me crazy things like 'You can only go out once a day' or 'Stay 6 feet away from people'.

Happy Birthday to me!

1858 Max Planck is born
1983 Buster Crabbe dies.
1996 P.L. Travers dies.
2005 John Mills dies.
2007 Boris Yeltsin dies.

Happy birthday Trev :)

Happy Saint George's day!

Sorry, Harry's semi-retired from royal duties. Do you have a second preference?

Hmmmmmn. Possibly Ann on the grounds she told reporters to naf off? Or wossername countess of wessex who has managed to stay married to edward.

Nah....

God for England, Camilla and St George!

I'm all for encouraging the english to work on wresting their flag etc back from the idiots.

Happy Birthday to me!

1858 Max Planck is born
1983 Buster Crabbe dies.
1996 P.L. Travers dies.
2005 John Mills dies.
2007 Boris Yeltsin dies.

Belated happy birthday wishes, Trevp666! All the best! :twothumbs::beer:

Happy St George's Day everyone.

Time to raise a glass of good English Ale (if you can find any in lockdown) as a toast to crocodile-killing Roman Legionaries everywhere!

When I posted the above, two years ago, I really thought the pandemic would be well over by now.
At least the lockdowns have ended.

Happy St. George's day everyone and yes, I certainly will enjoy a pint of ale later.

Happy Dragon Day!

St George is the one of the chaps having a lie down in the loot.

290737.jpg

GB News interviewed someone in full St. George regalia just now, who said that, when he tells the story of George and the Dragon these days, he plays down the dragon-slaying bit "because dragons are very rare these days" (Lord Mongrove may wish to comment).

Happy St George's day - and apologies to the late Edward The Confessor on behalf of England :)

Happy Saint George's day!

He is also the patron saint of Ethiopa, Georgia, Malta, Gozo, the regions of Aragon and Catalonia...

Yes - today is la Diada de Sant Jordi in Catalonia - the Day of Books and Roses.

Posted on The Bibliophilia Thread back in 2018, when I was living in Barcelona for a few months:

I am currently a resident of Barcelona, and yesterday, as well as being St George's Day in the UK, it was Sant Jordi in Catalonia - on which day it is traditional for couples to go out and buy a rose for the female, and a book for their partner. In reality these days each gets a book, although there are a hell of a lot of roses flying about too.

I kind of knew it was a big thing - but not as big as it turned out to be.

Man...it's HUGE!! Plaça de Catalunya and all the major thoroughfares leading onto it were lined with bookstalls and the entire area was absolutely rammed with crowds of people all day long. Many of the stalls have long queues for the author signings, which go on into the evening. The bookshops have queues reaching from one end to the other. Everyone in the mass of people milling about seems to be carrying a bag with books in it.

I'm not one of those travellers who instantly falls in love with and lionises the place they are currently living, and uses it to downgrade the place they come from; neither Spanish nor Catalan culture is perfect. But what a fantastic thing to have in your diary.

Such a fantastic day. One of the few times and places I am happy to suspend my usual mistrust of nostalgia for.

Maybe next year...

There were a few Union Jacks on display at my local 'Spoons and I did enjoy a quick pint of good old English ale after doing the shopping tonight.

I haven't seen any Union Jacks despite being out and about for most of the day.

Although the Union Jack is, I believe, flown on government buildings on all four patron saints days in the UK, it's likely, and kind of understandable, that the individual nation's flags will be more generally prevalent during their particular celebration: in England's case, this would be the Cross of St George.

Technically speaking any connection the Jack has to St George's Day (or Andrew's, David's or Patrick's) is kind of peripheral.

Last edited:
Although the Union Jack is, I believe, flown on government buildings on all four patron saints days in the UK, it's likely, and kind of understandable, that the individual nation's flags will be more generally prevalent during their particular celebration: in England's case, this would be the Cross of St George.

Technically speaking any connection the Jack has to St George's Day (or Andrew's, David's or Patrick's) is kind of peripheral.
You're absolutely right of course and it would be far more authentic if celebrants just carried the St. George's Cross on this day. The Union Flag though does seem to carry rather more English weight than any of the other home nations and will often be seen alongside the Flag of St. George.

unnamed.jpg

I haven't seen any Union Jacks despite being out and about for most of the day.
Until MrsF mentioned it yesterday evening, I had no idea it was St. Georges. (I know the date, but had forgotten all about it).
No mention of it anywhere, or by anyone I spoke to and not one flag seen either.

Also no mention of Shakespeare, or any programmes about him.

Back