• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Samurai Trash Collectors Clean Tokyo Streets After Halloween Revels

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Trash collectors in samurai costumes took to Tokyo's streets on Wednesday, theatrically wielding garbage tongs and flicking litter left from an evening of Halloween revelry into wicker baskets on their backs.

Dressed in hats and boldly patterned black-and-white tunics, the group, known as Gomihiroi Samurai, or trash-picking samurai, has attracted a large fan base since it formed in 2006, with nearly 800,000 followers on video-sharing platform TikTok.

7419185d7ebbe517c466e95c21ae0058

"If people are paying attention to our performance because they think it's fun, they might as well start paying attention to the trash problem itself," said one of the group, Keisuke Naka, as he cleared the area under a large sign reading "No Littering".

While Japan is famed overseas for its cleanliness, that image is only partly true, added Naka, a trash-picking samurai for seven years, as he gathered empty beer cans, plastic bottles and cigarette butts in a district known for its nightlife.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...yo-streets-after-halloween-revels-2023-11-01/

maximus otter

Talking about Halloween did anyone have a good one as me and my firends and his daughter took her around our local area and it was brilliant with being the holidays wit loads of kids and alot of parents dressed up and some fantastic house decoration's and then back for some food ale and red wine with this on the Tv backdrop.
https://www.youtube.com/live/38KFZGLKYeY?si=L6oIFCxgHMrR3n8e

Don't do Halloween 'revelry', decorating the outside of our house, or give sweets to children.
If you do - good for you. Hope you had a great time.

But ... when my wife posted on a local town FB group, suggesting that 'trick or treaters' shouldn't call on houses not decorated, there was a huge backlash, claiming that "If you don't take part in the town's fun then you shouldn't have moved here!", "Some people can't afford to put up decorations!" (but can afford to give away sweets?) and culminating in my wife being called a "Child-hating witch!"

I celebrate Samhain ... which, to me, doesn't involve plastic decorations, dressing up in fancy-dress costumes or begging for sweets. But I don't - and never will - say that others shouldn't.

Don't do Halloween 'revelry', decorating the outside of our house, or give sweets to children.
If you do - good for you. Hope you had a great time.

But ... when my wife posted on a local town FB group, suggesting that 'trick or treaters' shouldn't call on houses not decorated, there was a huge backlash, claiming that "If you don't take part in the town's fun then you shouldn't have moved here!", "Some people can't afford to put up decorations!" (but can afford to give away sweets?) and culminating in my wife being called a "Child-hating witch!"

I celebrate Samhain ... which, to me, doesn't involve plastic decorations, dressing up in fancy-dress costumes or begging for sweets. But I don't - and never will - say that others shouldn't.
Round here it seems to be the rule that trick or treaters only visit houses with a pumpkin or other decorations.

Precisely. Makes sense to me. I've encountered this all around the UK.
This is why my wife suggest it ... and a few idiots absolutely overreacted.

Round here it seems to be the rule that trick or treaters only visit houses with a pumpkin or other decorations.
That’s the “Code” here,decorations or the pumpkin outside the house are the green light.
5C820304-B6FF-400D-8833-E96534BC719D.jpeg

But ... when my wife posted on a local town FB group, suggesting that 'trick or treaters' shouldn't call on houses not decorated, there was a huge backlash, claiming that "If you don't take part in the town's fun then you shouldn't have moved here!"
In a lot of places in America, it's well known that a house not participating in Halloween festivities keeps their front light off during the evening. It's also becoming increasingly rare to get trick or treaters at all. 15 years ago when I moved to my present town, there'd be 50 or more kids on Halloween. Now if there's more than 10, it's a lot.

It seems to me that it's another case of the UK importing a US tradition ... and not quite getting it right.

It seems to me that it's another case of the UK importing a US tradition ... and not quite getting it right.

It's not far off what Scotland did/does. What is this UK of which you speak? ;)

Back