• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

SARS released by Al-queda

A

Anonymous

I think that SARS has been releashed by al-queda, it was some sort of biological weapon they got hold of, Discuss...

Then why did they release it in China...?

Because people from all over the world travel in and out of Hong Kong?

In the same way millions of people travel in and out of London or New York?

Yeah. SARS hits Orientals harder than other ethnic groups, almost as if it was tailored... :eek:

I was just wondering who might have an axe to grind with China and that whole area, I didn't once consider it to be... domestic! :sad:

Heaven forbid that nature might just simply come up with something that nasty... :rolleyes:

It was those bloody commies!

eh? ... oh sorry, it's the arabs now en't it.

Bloody arabs, ne'er trusted em anyway!

Maybe it was released in hong kong because there would be less security there than in london.

SARS is too indiscriminate to be the tool of a terrorist unit, what would be the point? They would be just as susceptible as anyone. Anyway, if it was a terrorist action, we'd know about it by now. Terrorists like people to know their accomplishments, that's the whole point.

As it's passed on through intrapersonal contact, it doesn't matter how many armed guards or scanning devices an airport has as it still wouldn't pick up the fact that someone had a cold.

Anyhow, I don't think it's anthropomorphic in origin, but merely a natural mutation, somewhat like the chicken-flu a few years back.

Well when you have a cold you run a fever. Your body temerature is thus a few degrees higher than normal and this can be picked up by thermal imaging... I heard about airports using thermal imaging in searching for possible carriers but I can't find a link... :(

Let's see, China were against the US war in Iraq and were hard hit. My collegue says Canada was also against the war and was hard it.

If this pans out then we can expect to see more cases in France, Germany and Russia...

With all the Americans either staying at home because of bankrupt airlines, fear of hijacking or having less disposable cash ( since their stock portfolio is down the pan ), or in the middle East sorting out the aftereffects of the war then it makes it easier to control the movement of the potential carries.

The arguement has more holes in it than a collander, but given the quality of the arguements for the war it is not so far fetched.

Things that make you go Hmmm!

thanks

Uncle Bulgaria

KarlR said:
Maybe it was released in hong kong because there would be less security there than in london.

Nah - security in London is a joke.

Who'd delibrately engineer and release a virus with only a 4% mortality rate and - compared to 'flu - relatively low risk of contagion?

Now, if this had been spanish 'flu there'd be thousands dead and hundreds of thousands infected by now....

I briefly flirted with the idea that it might have been an accidental release by the Chinese gov. (either from a "legit" bio-medical research centre, or a bio-warfare centre) given the cover-up by the Chinese government. That was only the briefest of flings however, and now I'm pretty much convinced that it is a natural event, with the Chinese government just doing the same that they do for other health problems such as AIDS.

I got ill today, but I think it's just a cold :)

Anyway, I was walking home from a lecture and thinking, "living in a modern city these days is like living in a world of paranoia, you have to think that everyone might be out to get you"

then I looked up and some guy had collapsed on the pavement, and a small group of people had gathered around him..

it was like a scene from Threads or something :)

Prospect said:
Who'd delibrately engineer and release a virus with only a 4% mortality rate and - compared to 'flu - relatively low risk of contagion?
Now, if this had been spanish 'flu there'd be thousands dead and hundreds of thousands infected by now....

Exactly - SARS isn't that virulent.

Now when I get on the tube it's not the Arab reading the Koran in the corner I shy away from but the Oriental looking businessman.

Its horrible cos you look at them and they look at you and you can see them realising what you're thinking.

I want a gas-mask :(

McAvennie said:
Now when I get on the tube it's not the Arab reading the Koran in the corner I shy away from but the Oriental looking businessman.
Its horrible cos you look at them and they look at you and you can see them realising what you're thinking.
I want a gas-mask :(

If you're being serious I can't see why you even bother to go outside at all :rolleyes:

Niles Calder said:
I was just wondering who might have an axe to grind with China and that whole area, I didn't once consider it to be... domestic! :sad:

Er...the US?

It's too slow and not deadly enough to be a weapon. I have been watching carefully for people coughing, though. My respirator might have to be taken out of mothballs, too...

Inverurie Jones said:
Er...the US?
Urm... nah, big business wouldn't want to destroy their cheap manufacturing base... That would be suicidal, unless they had somewhere else in mind... but where?

Niles Calder said:
Urm... nah, big business wouldn't want to destroy their cheap manufacturing base... That would be suicidal, unless they had somewhere else in mind... but where?

It would need to be somewhere in desperate need of foreign money...say, for rebuilding infrastructure or that.

You mean somewhere recently hit by war? Somewhere where the US already has control and an overt, as well as covert, interest...

:eek:

nah, couldn't be...

Niles Calder said:
You mean somewhere recently hit by war? Somewhere where the US already has control and an overt, as well as covert, interest...

:eek:

nah, couldn't be...

Somewhere like Afghanistan maybe! ;)

My Mother (an ex nurse) made an interesting point about SARS. The death rate seems to be higher in China ana more young people seem to be surcomming. She pointed out that the Chinese hospitals may deal with resperatory infections differently from western hospitals.

Her specific suggestion was that in the west we have people with breathing difficulties sit almost upright in bed. It's easier to breath in that postiion and if there's any fluid in the lungs it interears with a smaler sufface area. She suggested that in Chinese hospitals lung patients might be lying down flatter. There was film on the News tonight from insiide a Chinese hospital at the centre of the outbreak and the patients did seem to be lying flatter than they do in British hospitals.

Cujo

I still think that all this stuff about SARS is more of a symptom of worldwide media hype than about any real danger in a wider context. They all seem to be copying each other about how they cover it as a story - but not really noting the fact that in the grand scheme of things it's not proven to be a big killer (as a % of those infected). And it certainly isn't as virulent as other diseases out there which kill alot more people. I tend to think it's really just daft panic because some sort of quite nasty bug may or may not be on our doorstep at sometime in the future. I bet that if this outbreak occured somewhere in Africa, there would be much much less hype.

I heard on the radio this morning that, due to an extended period of contagion, Sars might be more deadly than first thought... perhaps 10% fatality...

How many thousands of people is it that die of Malaria every day?

Prospect said:
How many thousands of people is it that die of Malaria every day?

Can't give you a daily figure but the following is from the 'Roll Back Malaria' Global initiative.

What is malaria

Malaria is a life-threatening parasitic disease transmitted from person to person through the bite of a female Anopheles mosquito. The disease exerts its heaviest toll in Africa, where around 90% of the more than one million deaths from malaria worldwide occur each year, this constitutes 10% of the continent's overall disease burden. Malaria causes at least 300 million cases of acute illness each year, and is the leading cause of deaths in young children. Pregnant women are the main adult risk group in most endemic areas of the world.

Of course malaria mainly affects poor people so it's not considered news.

Anybody seen the cretinous item in the 'Daily Mail' today where one of their reporters claims that health surveillance in the UK is rubbish, because they didn't spot her when she was pretending to have SARS on an international flight?

The tabloids would really like a health panic...

Back