• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Save Futurama

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8092758.stm

Futurama to make return on US TV

Animated comedy Futurama is to return to US TV screens with 26 new episodes - seven years after it was axed by Fox.

They will air in 2010 on cable network Comedy Central, which shows repeats and previously commissioned four specials.

Futurama tells the story of pizza delivery boy Philip Fry, who was cryogenically frozen at the end of 1999 before being defrosted in 2999.

Creators Matt Groening and David X Cohen said they were "excited and amazed" the show was returning.

'Passionate fans'

The show, which follows the space-age adventures of Fry, his love interest Turanga Leela, and Bender - a cigar smoking misanthropic robot - originally ran on Fox between 1999 and 2003.

The popularity of the repeats of the 72 original episodes - bought from Fox in 2006 - as well as strong DVD sales for the four feature-length specials have led to the resurrection.

Groening, who also created The Simpsons, said: "We're thrilled Futurama is coming back.

"We now have only 25,766 episodes to make before we catch up with Bender and Fry in the year 3000."

Comedy Central's David Bernath said there remained "a deep and passionate fan base for this intelligent and very funny show that matches perfectly with our audience".

"It's fantastic that we can add brand new instalments of Leela, Fry and Bender's adventures to our existing library," he added.

In 2005, Fox resurrected another animated comedy, Family Guy, which it had cancelled in 2002.

I haven't seen any of the specials, but it's nice to know this is still going, it's a good show.

I've seen the specials and they're rather good. I've always had a soft spot for 'Futurama' and Bender is possibly my all-time hero.

Completely unrelated but my son is upstairs at the moment watching 'Duckman' (another great animated series) and I'm so damn proud of him I just had to mention it. No Disney stuff in this house!!!!!!

Ooooh, Duckman! Fantastic! Haven't seen that for ages!

That and Ren and Stimpy and Earthworm Jim are my most missed cartoons!

I searched for years to get Duckman and then one day on ebay there they were!!! I could barely 'buy it now' I was so excited. The next day ebay struck the seller off (presumably for selling priated goods) and I was distraught (I know I sound over-dramatic but Duckman arouses that kind of emotions), I didn't care that I might have lost my money I just wanted my DVDs.

Luckily a few days after, they arrived, quite obviously copied off a cable channel and with a rough looking cover but, hey, I didn't care, I had Duckman at last.

I have no idea why it's never repeated, it's funny, rude and sassy and easily the equal of Family Guy.

I've never heard of Earthworm Jim..I'll have to go and have a Google.

Earthworm Jim was absolutely hilarious! I only ever saw the first series, though, and it's never been on DVD (not on YouTube either, last time I looked).

I remember watching the entire series of Duckman on UK Play about ten years ago, what a cliffhanger it ended on! Although I read they never planned to resolve it, they simply wanted to end memorably.

"And then I heard the two worst words known to man..."
"Breast reduction?"

Not so good update...

Just when I was getting really excited for the revived Futurama, total bummer news emerges: The voice actors are going to be different. Who's going to Zoid my Zoidberg?

Twentieth Century Fox, which is still producing the series even though new episodes will air on Comedy Central, is recasting the major voice roles for the show.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/futurama-new-voices.html

Yoinks - it will be like watching an early episode of the Simpsons - you know, when the animation was off-puttingly bad, and Homer's voice was just... wrong.

Philo_T said:
do I smell an alternate timeline?

Now you mention it...the ship was sucked into a wormhole at the end of the last special with crew on board.

"Stand by to take the blame Kip....steady....steady....it was him!"

mooks out

Futurama Voice Cast Returning!
UPDATED: The fans can finally rest easy.

Rejoice! Reports are coming in that the cast of Futurama is returning! The Star is reporting that the cast has signed new deals with 20th Century Fox already. All of this comes hot on the heels of some nail-biting salary negotiations and a "no show" for the voice cast during the San Diego Comic-Con panel last weekend.

We contacted 20th Century Fox this afternoon for confirmation on the stories coming in and while it seems The Star might have been a bit premature saying the deals are done, what we hear is also very optimistic. 20th informed us that voice actor Maurice LaMarche ("Kif Kroker"/Additional Voices) posted that he would be returning on his Facebook page, and that deals with the rest of the cast are imminent and will hopefully be finalized by the end of the day.

At Comic-Con this past weekend, IGN TV spoke to John DiMaggio ("Bender") about the situation and he told us he was hopeful a deal would be made. Luckily, it looks like his hopes – and the fans – have paid off.

Update: According to sources at 20th Century Fox, Billy West and John DiMaggio have not yet signed, but are close. However, Katey Sagal, Maurice LaMarche and Tress MacNeille are reportedly confirmed to have signed.

Update 2: And now we're completely in the clear! We just got this word from 20th Century Fox: "Just wanted you to know that we now have deals with the entire Futurama voice cast to return: John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche, Billy West, Tress MacNeille and Katey Sagal."

Futurama creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen released this statement: "We are thrilled to have our incredible cast back. The call has already gone out to the animators to put the mouths back on the characters."

Who wants to bet there is at least one reference to all of this madness in an upcoming episode?

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/100/1009858p1.html

They're back ,baby! Hulu has comissioned another 20 episodes of Futurama.

They're back ,baby! Hulu has comissioned another 20 episodes of Futurama.

Those last two seasons were OK but a step down from the "films" which were a step down from the original run.

The trend does not bode well.

Apparently they're not rehiring John DiMaggio to voice Bender, and he is NOT happy.

Back