• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Say No To Psychiatry

MrRING

Android Futureman
This seems like an extreme idea... but maybe they are onto something? Or a lunatic fringe?

http://www.sntp.net/main.htm
Psychiatric treatments are harmful. All psychiatric treatments are harmful. Psychiatric drugs, ECT (electric shock) and brain surgery (lobotomy) each harm the individual and society. This sometimes goes against what we have been taught or indoctrinated into believing, and also against what we would often like to believe. Taking a pill as a "cure" obviously is easier than confronting and dealing with the actual personal reasons for one's difficulties with their own mind and life. The alternative requires personal responsibility, control and can take time, but the final results far exceed the quick fix (drugs, shock, etc.). In fact, the "psychiatric" methods "fix" nothing at all and actually make things worse.

The field of psychiatry is rooted in German experimental psychology, racist eugenics theories, and anti-human materialistic opinions parading as scientific facts. The promotional activities and tremendous profits of the major drug companies and affiliated financial interests play no small part in understanding the development and success of modern psychiatry. The result of modern psychiatric theories and methods is the denial of everything comprising man's "inner" personality of thoughts, feelings, values, hopes, dreams, intentions, goals, and ultimately, life itself.

Much of modern education and all aspects of the social sciences are rooted in flawed modern theories of psychology. This has had and continues to have disastrous effects on individual people and society.

The links to information here supply a formidable basis of knowledge leading towards an accurate and true understanding of what psychiatry really is. Sources are referenced and much additional suggested reading material is given both on the Internet and in books. Your local psychiatrists will never refer you to this information.

Do not base your opinion only on what members of the psychiatric field tell you. Liquor manufacturers will not tell you their products cause liver damage, are the source of numerous automobile related deaths every year, and encourage you to cease drinking liquor. Similarly, no psychiatrist will tell you psychiatry harms people and that you should avoid it at all cost. Even if he or she knew or suspected this, he or she couldn't endure the loss of income, status and authority this would entail.

Psychiatry and the affiliated major drug companies form a huge money making enterprise (business) which can tolerate no criticism. Each psychiatrist has gone to school for many years, spent much money on their "education" (which I consider to largely be indoctrination into nonsense), and invested a good part of their life towards their "profession". It isn't easy for anyone, regardless of one's field, to flush years of education, expense, time spent in their field and one's source of a very good income down the toilet, much less also to confront that what one does for a living is fundamentally harmful to other people and society. Don't argue or even discuss the facts with them. Most of them won't listen, and instead will defend their opinions to the end while sarcastically and "authoritatively" criticizing the proponents of the truth

Psychiatry and modern psychology are primarily ideologies comprised of opinions, theories and beliefs with little basis in actual "science".

I've known quite a few people with mental health problems but never known any of them to be cured by either psychiatry or psychology. They seem to be condemned to a life of being in and out of institutions with a bevy of therapists making a comfortable living from giving them treatments which seem to have little or no effect. However, this is a rather emotive issue for me as a friend of mine who was sectioned by his parents, who were unable to cope with his increasingly erratic behaviour, subsequently escaped from the supposedly secure facility in which he was being cared for and hung himself in some nearby woods. As is usual in these cases, none of the staff who were responsible for his care were ever called to account for their failure.

As a member of a profession which would be classed 'psychiatry', and as someone whose brother has suffered enduring severe mental health problems, I'd like to go on record as saying that not only is this sort of nonsense tiresome and irritating, it is also pretty dangerous, as it might prevent someone who is in need of help seeking that help. It might also convince someone to stop taking medication they are already on. Doing so suddenly without medical advice can be, in the case of drugs such as antidepressants and antipsychotics, incredibly dangerous.
Of course there is overprescription, over and misdiagnosis, bad care and bad practice in the field of mental health. There are similar problems in every profession, but there is also amazing work being done by amazing people, often in appaling conditions.
I wonder if the person who wrote this rant would be willing to care for a person having a psychotic episode in his house for a week or so. Maybe a big scary guy, with paranoid thoughts and ideas of reference. I doubt it would be too long before he was on the phone to the Nazis.

why do people expect shrinks to be miracle workers?

I reckon i've had more success with psychiatric treatment than medical treatment.

I also work in the mental health field (though not a psychiatrist). I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in the USA mental health treatment is grossly underfunded and has never really figured out what to do with all the patients released from long-term hospitals back in the 70's and 80's. The system is based on patching up patients once they fall into crisis and have to be in short-term inpatient; there is very little public support or education on how mentally ill consumers can be enabled to function in the community. So far there's no cure for mental illness, but it is something that can be managed- this is the "recovery" model, which I personally favor.

Amester, it's pretty much what has happened in the UK as well. A big push some years ago to provide what was touted as 'Care in the Community'; keeping patients out of hospitals as far as possible, and managed in the community. A woefully underresourced strategy.

We now have teams of Community Psychiatric Nurses whose caseloads are ridiculous, and a shortage of beds in wards for people who need (and I mean need) in-patient psychiatric care. I worked with a CPN who developed severe depression after trying to manage a caseload of over 200 patients for over a year.

Part of the governments way of dealing with this mess is the ECR or extra contractural referral. It has been marketed as a 'solution'. Basically, if you need in-patient care but there are no beds available in your catchment area, the government will pay for you to stay in a private hospital, until a bed becomes available. At that time you are sent back to your original hospital. Now, if you are assessed as needing inpatient care, you are pretty ill. (Psychiatrists are not, on the whole, eager to section you and give you ECT against your will because you go to your GP complaining of depression. You are more likely to be put on a waiting list which is ridiculously long to see a CPN or a therapist of some ilk)
This whole twoing and froing is distressing for the patient and detrimental to his health. Most mental health professionals are dissatisfied with these kinds of solutions, but have to work within these conditions.

Let's try that again.

I tried to post this earlier, but the network I was connected to is unreliable at best.
----
I've mentioned this before on other threads, but the idea that psychiatry is all about meds and surgery is garbage. The most effective psychiatric treatment, according to medical professionals of my acquaintance, is the so-called "talking cure", whether it be classical Freudian analysis, or something a little more progressive. In fact, those I know in the profession would never prescribe meds on their own, as they don't believe that the medication resolves the problem, just makes it easier to resolve it through traditional means.

Like Shambles said, this kind of thinking is dangerous, and may lead to people who desperately need help to avoid it.

Re: Let's try that again.

anome said:
In fact, those I know in the profession would never prescribe meds on their own, as they don't believe that the medication resolves the problem, just makes it easier to resolve it through traditional means.

Quite.

Re: Let's try that again.

anome said:
I tried to post this earlier, but the network I was connected to is unreliable at best.
----
I've mentioned this before on other threads, but the idea that psychiatry is all about meds and surgery is garbage. The most effective psychiatric treatment, according to medical professionals of my acquaintance, is the so-called "talking cure", whether it be classical Freudian analysis, or something a little more progressive. In fact, those I know in the profession would never prescribe meds on their own, as they don't believe that the medication resolves the problem, just makes it easier to resolve it through traditional means.

Like Shambles said, this kind of thinking is dangerous, and may lead to people who desperately need help to avoid it.

Absolutely!!!

Despite the horrendous mistakes, underfunded-ness and the extreme lack of caring in the wider world...

Sounds like a classic Scientologist to me. They're rife withopinions like that . . . scary thing is, replace 'psychiatry' with 'Jews' and see where it gets you. It's not that far off.

-Fitz

Seems like the guy is pretty anti-Nazi to me:

http://www.sntp.net/comments.htm

Don't ever lose sight of the fact that a huge amount of money, time and energy has been invested in promoting and securing the acceptance of the new psychological approach to man and psychiatry over the past century. These subjects cannot stand on their own merits. They stand ONLY because they have been propped up by years of investment, PR, miseducation and (intentional and unintentional) deception.

Genetics is the flip side of the coin I call the "disgusting duo" of modern psychological theory. On the one side you have the concept of stimulus-response and man as the sum total of environmental experiences, behaviorism (also see chapter 2, Leipzig Connection). On the other side there is genetics, the idea that all intelligence, capability, and natural propensities are inherited in one's chromosomes. This viewpoint opens the door to selective breeding, genocide, and the general oppression of anyone who doesn't meet the current standard of who and what are "strong, intelligent, moral or pure". There are physical traits, such as body size, hair color, muscle tone, strength and agility that are to a large degree genetic and inherited. The problem arises when these so-called "scientists" casually transpose an understanding and "science" of physical phenomena to the realm of mental phenomena.

The laws of the mind are completely different and unique, although related to the physical. None of the modern theorists have bothered to effectively examine the mind and ascertain its actual functions, capabilities and tendencies, and instead they have flippantly assumed the mind to be of the same nature as things physical. It's not. This is a very large error and results in serious theoretical mistakes and harmful results when applied.

The lie here is that mental aptitude, IQ, and imaginative ability are not unchangeable genetic physical traits like hair color or body size, and can be improved. Anybody can learn and better at anything if given a workable method of study and a positive environment of loving, caring, aware people. Modern genetic theories, which are, in fact, mere opinions parading as scientific facts, deny the possibility of improvement and enforce limitations.

Nazi Germany took these ideas of genetics and selective breeding to their diabolical logical extreme. German psychiatrists worked closely with the SS and Nazi elite spreading their ideas of racial superiority (and inferiority), genetic supremacy, "good genes", "bad genes", and "racial cleansing". Why give psychological tests? To ascertain who are "dumb", "unable to learn", "inferior", "disabled", and a strain on the society. And since they can't be "fixed" or "improved", the only solution is to get rid of them and their "harmful" genetic line. Off to the showers .... What happened in Germany was the simple logical conclusion of the application of modern psychiatric theories. Many of these German "professors" and psychiatrists came to the USA after the war, being "ignored" as the true criminals they were, and actually were given posts in major colleges and universities. They still believe what they have always believed, although they have changed their tactics and thereby remain hidden and free from ridicule. Their notions also predominate modern "scientific" views and have come to be the accepted modern view of Man. Operation Paperclip is the name of the program involving the secreting of Nazi scientists out of Germany after World War II.

Again, the main error is taking observations from the purely physical realm (physics, chemistry, vegetable biology, animal behavior) and directly extrapolating these theories and practices to Man and his mind (which isn't of the same character, quality, type or nature). Behaviorism does the same thing. Man does have a physical and biological aspect that does conform to the basic laws observed in the physical sciences, but the realm of mind and human ability is entirely different and doesn't adhere to the same laws. Sadly, when man is treated like an animal, controlled like a slave, manipulated like a rat in a testing cage, and denied his true capabilities he deteriorates, eventually mimicking the animals he is treated as, and He then seems to become exactly what the psychiatrists and psychologists say he is, an unchangeable stimulus-response organism, an animal. Under those conditions it is difficult to clearly see and know that man is and can be something else entirely.

But I do wonder - is he just an individual, or would he fall into the realm of "New Age healer"? I see that he has a few papers from Gary Null on the website, who I've seen on PBS here in the US...

http://www.sntp.net/null1.htm

I'd be very surprised if any psychiatrists were included in Operation Paperclip, it was people like Von Braun they were after.

I can't check at the moment, but didn't the Nazi's consider psychiatry to be a Jewish Science.

This chap's mixing history with his own prejudices and using the old stunt of smearing anything by hinting it may be connected with the Nazis.

My wife suffers from mental illness and has needed to be sectioned 3 times in the last 8 years (and yes, I mean needed).

Her view of psychiatrists was very dim until recently; most of the ones she saw were not very helpful. However her most recent psychiatrist has been like a breath of fresh air, actually listening to what she says and entering into dialogue with her instead of just firing questions at her.
Her experience of CPNs has been better - some have been very good, some not so; but all of them seem genuinely to want to help her.
The biggest help to her in recent times has been a series of sessions with a psychoanalyst who helped her tremendously; I feel that he is due most of the credit for keeping her out of hospital for the last 3 years.
Her experiences with different medications has also been mixed - it's been a bit of trial and error finding the right ones (admittedly not helped by the 'evolution' of her illness and the body's tendency to become resistant to the same medication over time).

All in all I feel I have to agree with Shambles' and Amesters comments.

"In fact, the "psychiatric" methods "fix" nothing at all and actually make things worse."

That's funny, "psychiatric methods" quite possibly saved my life. I wouldn't call that making things worse, but hey that's my opinion.

I think the problem is that there are A LOT of quacks out there. There are SO many people working in this field who have no clue what they are doing that often it seems as though it just doesn't work.

I think there's a quite instinctive distrust of people who try to get "inside" our brains, or criticise our minds (one's mind is pretty much oneself, and for someone to tell you that it's "wrong" in some way is a bit hurtful), and hence this guy's (extreme) distrust of psychiatrists (?)

Haven't seen that site before, but it doesn't seem too far off the US Libertarian Party view, which follows Thomas Szasz (who specifically refutes any connection to the Scientologists... Scientologists are even nastier than medical model psychiatrists in my view, and for most of the same reasons)... some of the "historical facts" in it are possibly inaccurate tho...

There are rather better (IMO) anti-psychiatry articles at http://www.antipsychiatry.org/ (who i think also are broadly libertarian in critique, rather than religious nutters)...

RainyOcean said:
That's funny, "psychiatric methods" quite possibly saved my life. I wouldn't call that making things worse, but hey that's my opinion.

I think the problem is that there are A LOT of quacks out there. There are SO many people working in this field who have no clue what they are doing that often it seems as though it just doesn't work.

I second that. I've been to a few who seemed a lot crazier than I ever could be. Even had one who quite passionately admonished me (a propos of nothing I might add) that masturbating is evil and if I did it I would go to hell! Still vividly remember easing along the couch to get closer to the door just in case he went maniac on me. But when I finally found one who used "psychiatric methods" effectively, it turned my life around. I'm now much more useful to myself and to the ones I love, and that makes me very grateful.

I wonder - these anti-psychiatry people - what do they propose we do to treat people with mental illnesses? If they don't like psychiatry, I presume they have some better idea..? I guess that some of them go down the route of denying that mental illness exists at all, but that sounds like a complete cop-out to me.

Some of them - by no means all - think that mental illness itself is a fraud. The same people sometimes think all illness is a fraud perpetuated by doctors to line their pockets at our expense.

Some of them favour "alternative" therapies. Still others think that people will recover if they're just told to snap out of it enough.

fluffle said:
I wonder - these anti-psychiatry people - what do they propose we do to treat people with mental illnesses? If they don't like psychiatry, I presume they have some better idea..? I guess that some of them go down the route of denying that mental illness exists at all, but that sounds like a complete cop-out to me.

Yes. Come up with some real alternatives or shut up. 'anti-psychiatry' perspectives on mental illness miss the point completely, people are suffering, therapeutic intevention (whatever the flavour) is needed, what would they have us do?

Maybe we will just have to face up to the fact that suffering and mental anguish are an inevitable part of the human condition and that taking a pill won't make them go away.

I've seen people virtually turned into zombies by the ever-changing cocktails of drugs their psychiatrists prescribe them, and even the previous posters who have felt that they benefited from psychiatriatic intervention have noted that they had a plethora of bad experiences with mental health professionals before they found one who actually had a positive impact on their lives. I believe this shows that there is something radically wrong with the way psychiatry and psychology are practised today. I suspect that in the future we will look back on present day psychiatriatic practises with the same horror with which we consider the doctors of past centuries who prescribed leeches for every illness under the sun.

graylien said:
I've seen people virtually turned into zombies by the ever-changing cocktails of drugs their psychiatrists prescribe them, and even the previous posters who have felt that they benefited from psychiatriatic intervention have noted that they had a plethora of bad experiences with mental health professionals before they found one who actually had a positive impact on their lives.
Actually, I haven't. What I did have was a plethora of bad experiences without mental health professionals.

I got lucky, I know. What I have had is bad experiences with one health professional (he was an arsehole, not necessarily incompetent).

and even the previous posters who have felt that they benefited from psychiatriatic intervention have noted that they had a plethora of bad experiences with mental health professionals before they found one who actually had a positive impact on their lives. I believe this shows that there is something radically wrong with the way psychiatry and psychology are practised today.

Yeah, wannabe psychiatrists are getting through school WAY too easily.

A friend I had was diagnosed a long time ago as manaic depressive.

Actualy she alternated herion with alcohol, with bouts of whatever came handy, and had been doing that continually since she was 16...

IMHO I feel that diagnosing her with anything (besides that very vague `addictive personality`) would be a bit pointless.

(the few times she was off everything she was as healthy as a horse....)

there was points she got so sick of her problems that she `wanted` to be sectioned...but they did not. What could they have done?

--------------------------------

As an aside, what do they do in places like Japan where there are very few shrinks??

(besides excocise foxes out of people??)

My ex-therapist, who dealt mostly with people with dissociative disorders, once described the majority of her patients as having being 'bounced around the mental health system for 15 years while being prescribed in excess of BMI limits of anti-psychotic drugs'.

Perhaps those with textbook psychiatric problems fair not so badly, it seems like once you step away from that, it becomes more an issue of the coping strategies of the mental health professionals rather than the illness of the patients, the former of which invariably win out.

I don't find it difficult to see why some people become very anti-psychiatry.

All I could find was this press release on this event, but I thought this was the thread for it (and the celebrity list indicates there is a Scientology slant to this event):

http://press.arrivenet.com/pol/article.php/641717.html
Today in Atlanta: Celebrities Protest APA's Plan to Screen (test) All 52 Million School Children for Mental 'Disorders'

WHO:

Danny Masterson (That 70's Show)
Michelle Stafford (CBS's The Young and Restless)
Marisol Nichols (Steven Bochco's Blind Justice on ABC)

Celebrities, civic and state leaders, parents and children take to the streets of Atlanta today in a march to protest the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) plans to screen all 52 Million US school children for "mental disorders," an initiative they say will swell the already epidemic numbers of children being prescribed mind-altering drugs, despite the lack of medical or scientific evidence establishing the validity of psychiatry's "disorders."

The protestors say there are already over 8 million U.S. children taking cocaine-like stimulants, and antidepressants that cause suicide and hostility. The APA's plans for universal mental screenings of children could more than quadruple this number to 40 million in the next decade.

Given the international publicity and recent FDA warnings over the serious side-effect risks of these drugs, which include suicide, violent behavior, rare blood disorders, heart irregularities, and even death, the APA's screening plan has outraged parents who say they have not been fully informed about the subjective and unscientific nature of the questionnaires used to screen children which can lead to drug prescriptions.

Such questions include:

"In the past month, how much of a problem have you had with feeling unhappy or sad?"

"Has there been a time when you felt you couldn't do anything well or that you weren't as good-looking or as smart as other people?"

"Has there been a time when you couldn't think as clearly or as fast as usual?"

Any child undergoing the APA's mental screening is at risk of being diagnosed and drugged simply by filling out a questionnaire at school.

The celebrities are speaking out in support of (HB 181) the "Parental Consent Act" a federal bill which establishes parents' rights to refuse psychiatry's plan for universal mental screening and drugging of their children, and which reinforces a parent's right to just say no.

The protest has been organized by the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), a non-profit mental watchdog organization, established by the Church of Scientology and Dr. Thomas Szasz, professor of Psychiatry Emeritus in 1969. Other celebrities who have spoken out against the rampant psychiatric drugging of children include Lisa Marie Presley, Priscilla Presley, Kirstie Alley and Kelly Preston.

I think the non-crictical end of the mental-health industry is a replacement for things our ancestors dealt with themselves or in personal circles of families and friends. That's not to say Psychiatry is useless, i'm just trying to articulate that it's filling a definite gap that is opening in our personal lives. We're clearly forgetting some useful salves here by leading decidedly odd lifestyles where the 'non-physical internal' in minimised to the point of exclusion and troubles, doubts and fears that everyone holds are seen as weakness and hence failure and are suppressed accordingly.

Sorry if that's a little vague. :)

Your quite right if a little pedantic.

I have met several perfectly normal people who would be non functional if they had no family.

The Yithian said:
I think the non-crictical end of the mental-health industry is a replacement for things our ancestors dealt with themselves or in personal circles of families and friends.

Good way to describe it!

I went to a psycharist once who immediately prescribed drugs. Since I already take Dilantin, I asked her whether the drug she was prescribing would cause a problem with the Dilantin. Since, in the US at least, psycharists are medical doctors, she should have known the answer or volunteered to look it up. But she didn't do either, and I never went back.

As for psychologists: I've known too many people who get degrees in psychology because they are trying to fix their own problems. Too many of these people get to the point of believeing that they can fix anyone's problem.

Nevertheless, I did know one psychologist who was studying seizure control through biofeedback and having great success. She was (and, I hope, still is) an amazing person.

Back