• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scared Of The Dentist? You Will Be!

A few years ago, I assisted a couple of friends in drilling a hole in the top of a sheep skull to stick a candle in. (Don't ask.)

The sound, and the smell... :shock:

We were all instantly back at the dentist's. :lol:

I've had nothing but kindness from dentists as an adult. They've been understanding about my wimpiness and many courageous dental nurses have held my hand as I've gibbered in the chair.

Heroes, they are. Heroes. 8)

2 things whirling about in my head due to this thread....

1) Is there any truth to what my mum used to say about dentists all going mad in the end? She said it was to do with handling mercury.

2) Steve Martin, in "Little Shop of Horrors" singing "Son Be A Dentist".

That is all.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Only if they cook the mercury. It's the vapour that does for you.

Now I have visions of crazed junkie dentists heating up mercury on a spoon and sniffing the vapours.

escargot1 said:
A few years ago, I assisted a couple of friends in drilling a hole in the top of a sheep skull to stick a candle in. (Don't ask.)

*off topic- *gasp* Escargot1! How can you drop details like that and then tell us not to ask!? That's just wrong! :shock:

back on topic - From what I'm reading, it sounds almost like anesthetic is...erm...optional in Britain. That can't be true, can it?

Alleged Fake Dentist Accused Of Kissing Patient On Rear-End

The allegations against John Collazos, 47, stem from an incident in November 2010. After a two year search, Collazos was arrested by Davie Police in September 2012 for practicing medicine without a license and battery. Police said four victims have been identified and this is an on-going investigation.

Police say the 2010 incident occurred in an apartment on Fillmore Street. Collazos allegedly performed dental work from a makeshift office inside the unit. The unidentified victim told police that she went to Collazos to get treatment for a toothache. She told police that Collazos put some sort of paste in her mouth, but she told him it did nothing to alleviate the pain. Collazos then allegedly told the victim that he needed inject her with medication in the buttocks. While her pants were down, the alleged victim said Collazos kissed her buttocks and touched her privates.

According to the report, the woman told her sister what had happened, and her sister urged her to call police. Police say by the time they arrived, Collazos had fled through a back door.

Who would go to a dentist in a "makeshift office in a unit" and then agree to an injection in the bottom?? :shock:

Zilch5 said:
Alleged Fake Dentist Accused Of Kissing Patient On Rear-End

The allegations against John Collazos, 47, stem from an incident in November 2010. After a two year search, Collazos was arrested by Davie Police in September 2012 for practicing medicine without a license and battery. Police said four victims have been identified and this is an on-going investigation.

Police say the 2010 incident occurred in an apartment on Fillmore Street. Collazos allegedly performed dental work from a makeshift office inside the unit. The unidentified victim told police that she went to Collazos to get treatment for a toothache. She told police that Collazos put some sort of paste in her mouth, but she told him it did nothing to alleviate the pain. Collazos then allegedly told the victim that he needed inject her with medication in the buttocks. While her pants were down, the alleged victim said Collazos kissed her buttocks and touched her privates.

According to the report, the woman told her sister what had happened, and her sister urged her to call police. Police say by the time they arrived, Collazos had fled through a back door.

Who would go to a dentist in a "makeshift office in a unit" and then agree to an injection in the bottom?? :shock:

Well it is in Florida.

escargot1 said:

The sound, and the smell... :shock:

Some Satanic rites no doubt.

I hope the sheep was deceased.

Well, I hated the dentist before and now, after reading thru this thread I don't think I'll ever return to their cluches! :shock:

I had a wisdom tooth out a few years back and the dentist put some cotton wool between my teeth to stop me chomping down.

Anyway this wisdom tooth was a bit tricky coming out and over the period of about 15 mins, I was conscious of biting down a bit on this cottom wool. After a while, dentist asks me if I'm in pain. Not really, I said, why? Well, he said, it's just that you're biting down really hard on my thumb!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Silly bugger had kept it there for ages and I'm chowing down on it. When he took it out it had a perfect set of my molar marks on it! I couldn't believe he hadn't said anything before - it looked really painful. he actually left the room and another dentist came in and finished the job!

Nice one. :lol:

The same with me, except my dentist was a mad Welshman(all dentists are as mad as a talking puddle) who heaved away for two hours.
Eventually the tooth came out, apparently with a hook on it which he said had not shown up on the x ray, and if he had known he would not have attempted to take it out.
I was still shaking an hour later.
Eventually pain drove me back into the dentists clutches, and confidence was diminished when I saw that the dentist on this occasion was a tiny girl who looked about 12.
After an injection,she applied the torture device and tugged gently, then got another torture device and popped out the tooth with consumnate ease.
No pain, no bother.
On subsequent visits I never saw that dentist again, I hope she has set up her own, surely lucrative practice, greatly skilled as she is.

ramonmercado said:
Zilch5 said:

Well it is in Florida.

Dentist Sharon O'Steen of DeBary, Florida, has been accused of inhaling laughing gas in front of patients before performing procedures on them. In a no-brainer move, Florida health officials have suspended O'Steen's license.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 63876.html

Is it safe?

Roaring trade of Pakistan's street dentists
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25370775
By Saba Eitizaz
BBC News, Islamabad

Those who use Pakistan's street dentists cannot afford other options

More than 13,000 illegal, unqualified dentists sit on the pavements of Pakistan, providing services to people who cannot afford healthcare.

Latest reports say that 78% of Pakistanis do not have access to even basic healthcare facilities - and private medical care is unaffordable for most.

Nooruddin sits on the bridge overlooking an old railway track and dirty lanes.

Beside him, on a dirty sheet, is a rusty drill, unlabelled bottles filled with murky liquid. And teeth. Rows and rows of them in a smudged glass display.

Marginalised groups
This has been Nooruddin's dental clinic for the past 20 years. He offers on-the-street quick fixes to dental problems, but has no qualifications for what he does. His patients cannot complain.

Pakistani street dentist
Improvised roadside medical services are a thriving business
A recent report in the medical journal The Lancet highlighted the fact that Pakistan has no health insurance system, which is why so many Pakistanis pay healthcare expenses themselves.

Less than 1% of Pakistan's GDP is devoted to the health sector - equivalent to under 4% of the government budget.

With no cohesive policy in the public health arena, the government has been struggling to provide even the most basic medical facilities to marginalised groups.

For those who are barely surviving, the rising costs of living means that taking care of the teeth is an unaffordable luxury.

As a result, improvised roadside medical services are a thriving business.

Widening gap
The Pakistan Dental Association says that roadside dentists operate in the side streets and back alleys of most towns and cities.

Dentures on the street
The safety and hygiene of street dentists has been called into question
The authorities have initiated several crackdowns on illegal street medical practitioners, so they take often their portable medical clinics and set up elsewhere. There are plenty of poor settlements and slums where their services are needed.

"If you are rich and fashionable, go to a foreign-trained dentist," says Nooruddin. "I am the poor man's doctor and I am all that he has."

Meanwhile, the widening gap between the rich and the poor in Pakistan can be observed in Dr Anees-ur-Rehman's ultra-modern dental clinic in the shiny capital, Islamabad.

Inside, the walls are decorated with postmodern artwork. Classical music plays in the background, subtly drowning out the sounds of the dentist's drill.

Dr Rehman's clinic offers top-of-the line dental work - for those who can afford it.

A single teeth-polishing treatment can cost more than $200 - while nearly a third of the population lives below the poverty line.

Rotting teeth
The crowded waiting room of patients, sifting through Gucci bags and tapping expensive-looking shoes, suggests that the rich and famous of Pakistan consider money no object in pursuit of the perfect smile.

Replacement teeth used by street dentists
Street dentists provide a cheap alternative for those unable to afford the costs of replacing rotting teeth
"People who can afford to will be willing to get our treatment, because functionally and cosmetically, we can make them perfect," Dr Rehman says. "And that is what everybody wants, to be perfect."

Professional dentists claim the reason for increasing dental expenses is the imported equipment and personalised care - fees need to be high to break even.

Just the basic dentist's chair unit here costs the same as a luxury car in Pakistan. And there are plenty of luxury cars parked outside Dr Rehman's clinic.

But street dentists are the only option for people like Ahmed, 60, who sells vegetables on a cart to support his family of six.

He is diabetic and his teeth are rotting and he desperately needs new ones.

Ahmed says that government hospitals might offer free treatment, but services and accessibility are limited for people like him.

Serious infections
The street dentist concentrates on using a red-tinted concoction to secure a new tooth in Ahmed's mouth, the occasional fly alighting on his hand, his tools and his patient.

Dental surgery in Pakistan
Top-of-the line dental work is available for those who can afford it
At his side, arranged like a museum artefact, is a pair of dentures.

Medical experts say that the use of unclean equipment on dozens of patients can result in hepatitis and serious infections, but those who come here are driven by pain and desperate for the only relief they can afford.

"I went to the doctor, and he was asking for 3,000 rupees ($28)," Ahmed explains, showing me his brand new teeth which are stained with red dye.

"This guy was asking for 250 rupees. When I said that I couldn't pay that, he said: 'OK, pay 200 rupees.'"

It is a different kind of service with a smile.

I don't know how prevalent this was in the rest of the UK, but in the North East of Scotland, (specifically Banffshire at the time before regionalisation) we had a mobile dentist serving schools in the area. Oh how I used to dread turning the corner and seeing this cream coloured caravan sitting near the girls entrance waiting for more victims. My bowels would turn to liquid as I knew I faced the annual inspection by Mr H. He had a practice in the nearest large town, but seems to have been contracted to go round the local schools in this dreadful caravan of fear.

He was horrible! He wore the typical white coat buttoned all the way up the neck. He would shout at you in the chair if you moved or your mouth started to close. I used to be in tears every time I saw him and I blame him for my later dental problems and causing an abject fear of all things dental. The irony was that at the end of the inspection he would issue a lollipop.

However, serious problems caused by poor attention to my teeth and shocking diet in my teens forced me back, and I discovered his son had picked up the drill. He was simply brilliant. Just the opposite of his father and did an amazing job getting my teeth into an acceptable shape. He used a general anaesthetic and only after this did my fears recede.

My husband's right front tooth developed an arc-shaped gap. It looked like wear rather than a chip, so I encouraged him to see the dentist.

Uh-huh. His first choice of dentist ignored the front tooth and tried to talk my husband into three "deep" cleanings because the dentist said my husband's gums were in trouble, and if dental insturance wouldn't pay, the dentist office could arrange financing.

I had just read about this scam in the NY Times, so I asked my husband to go to a different dentist.

The second dentist said my husband's gums were moderately troublesome, but not too bad. This dentist also said the front tooth problem was out of his league, and recommended my husband to an orthodontist. My husband asked this dentist about the effectiveness of a WaterPik for the gums. The dentist said WaterPik was okay but don't overdo it.

My husband got the WaterPik immediately.

Two weeks later, the orthodontist found that my husband's bottom teeth were scraping the two front teeth and that would have to be taken care of, but my husband's gums were just fine.

Okay, gums good, yay. Now there's the procedure of saving the two front teeth and the cost thereof: $7800 before crowns for the teeth (which are an extra $3000) for a total of $10,800. Our dental insurance will pay $500.

$10,300 is a !@#$ of a lot of money--it's the "what's it worth to you?' price: almost all healthcare in the United States is priced on that basis.

So, be afraid of the scamming dentists and be afraid of the more honest ones who'll still try to grab your bank account.

By the way, my husband did some research on the scamming dentist: he has two nice houses (one here and one in Los Angeles), and at least three very expensive automobiles.

Was slightly alarmed when I read Ginando's post as I had toothache and had made an appointment for the dentists shortly before G. posted. Kept my eyes closed throughout whole procedure. Two local anaesthetic injections worse part. V.fast working, however, didn't feel a thing. Now one molar less and a big bloody hole to show for it.

Anyway, anaesthetic still wearing off.

By the way, my husband did some research on the scamming dentist: he has two nice houses (one here and one in Los Angeles), and at least three very expensive automobiles.

It seems sadly common even in the UK.

When I was about 17 my mother decided to change my dentist, for reasons best known to her as I'd stayed with one that was local to where we used to live that I was ok with.

End result was that I had two dental check ups a week apart, the first gave me a clean bill of health, the second said I needed 6 fillings. :(

I didn't go and have never trusted any of the f*ckers since.

Funnily enough I too have a dental appointment this week to see the dreaded tooth scraper (hygienist). I've only just started going to the dentist again after a gap (!) of over ten years. I was filled with dread about my first appointment and convinced that there would be multiple cavities that needed filling at huge cost (I couldn't get an appointment in my area with an NHS dentist). As it turned out I just needed a good old scraping and that was it. No fillings in this face :lol:

What I didn't expect to have to contend with is the barrage of appointments since. Twice a year with the dentist and twice a year with the hygienist. I've put my foot down as at £38 a pop this is too much for me to afford. Not only that, but I think that it is totally excessive. Once a year to visit each is much more acceptable, both logically and financially. Now I just need to deal with the frosty receptionist!

Yes, twice a year is just excessive. It's almost as if they're not making enough money out of us.
Quite a lot of dentists cannot be trusted, it has to be said.
Finally, I seem to have found a nice dentist who isn't full of crap. Private, but oddly not much more expensive than NHS prices. The tooth extraction she did for me last year has healed up well, so I'm happy with her work (so far).

I have an NHS check-up due this month. Have ignored the offer to see Hygienist at the same time. Not worth the money to me.

How come I can see an NHS doctor for free as often as I like, but I have to pay for NHS dental services?

rynner2 said:
I have an NHS check-up due this month. Have ignored the offer to see Hygienist at the same time. Not worth the money to me.

How come I can see an NHS doctor for free as often as I like, but I have to pay for NHS dental services?

Medicare does the same over here: if you've qualified for Medicare, physician's visits are (almost) paid for, but there is no coverage for dental, vision, or hearing.

SHAYBARSABE said:
rynner2 said:

Medicare does the same over here: if you've qualified for Medicare, physician's visits are (almost) paid for, but there is no coverage for dental, vision, or hearing.
Hearing is covered by the NHS, and I get free eye tests as I'm over 60. Not sure if that includes cost of specs if needed, though. Not that I plan on getting any new specs - my eyes are different, so between them I can see distance and close-to quite adequately.

Somehow dentistry has almost escaped the NHS altogether... :evil:
You can pay to go private, or pay a bit less for NHS.

One of the virtues of the NHS as originally conceived was that it was free, so no time (or money) was wasted billing people in great detail. The docs just did doctoring, and the money came in from general taxation.

The High Court has upheld a decision to strike off “for public protection” a dentist who tried to carry out work on a woman’s teeth in a McDonald’s.

Anca Claudia Macavei tried to fit a bridge in the Cannon St, London, branch of the fast-food restaurant in 2012.

Macavei argued that a General Dental Council professional conduct committee decision in July 2014 to strike her off the register of dentists for that incident and other misconduct was a “disproportionate sanction”.

But yesterday, Mrs Justice Patterson, sitting in London, dismissed her appeal. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/...-far-for-dental-work-in-mcdonalds-316894.html

Funnily enough I too have a dental appointment this week to see the dreaded tooth scraper (hygienist). I've only just started going to the dentist again after a gap (!) of over ten years. I was filled with dread about my first appointment and convinced that there would be multiple cavities that needed filling at huge cost (I couldn't get an appointment in my area with an NHS dentist). As it turned out I just needed a good old scraping and that was it. No fillings in this face :lol:

What I didn't expect to have to contend with is the barrage of appointments since. Twice a year with the dentist and twice a year with the hygienist. I've put my foot down as at £38 a pop this is too much for me to afford. Not only that, but I think that it is totally excessive. Once a year to visit each is much more acceptable, both logically and financially. Now I just need to deal with the frosty receptionist!

Although the receptionist pointed out that " ... but it's nice to know that your teeth are OK?", I could have done without spending the 30 odd quid for what amounted to me being asked to sit in a chair, told I have teeth and 60 seconds later being asked to pay up at the desk .... the dentist just looked in my mouth, no scraping, no advice, no conversation, nothing .... I'm going with the once a year instead crowd instead but then again, when you've got a problem, they're invaluable ...

Oh, butcher dentist stories. Here's mine: I was so happy to get a crown. I was so happy to be done with tooth work. I found a $20 bill on the ground on my last visit--good omen, right? I thought the dentist was cool to have a skull in his workroom, and to be playing Marvin Gaye every time I visited.
Nope. His assistant, lord knows what her credentials were, if any, put a crown over an uncleaned rotten tooth. He gave his approval and I've had bad tooth probs on that side forever.

Oh, butcher dentist stories. Here's mine: I was so happy to get a crown. I was so happy to be done with tooth work. I found a $20 bill on the ground on my last visit--good omen, right? I thought the dentist was cool to have a skull in his workroom, and to be playing Marvin Gaye every time I visited.
Nope. His assistant, lord knows what her credentials were, if any, put a crown over an uncleaned rotten tooth. He gave his approval and I've had bad tooth probs on that side forever.

:eek:

Have to go and get my temporary denture adjusted. Back to Budapest for final stage of implants in June.

Back