• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scary Dreams

Mouldy13

Ephemeral Spectre
i have two recurring dreams which really scare me, so if any of you guys go in for a spot of analysis, analyze these.

1, I'm in a house, don't know where, and for some reason I have to go into the attic (gooseflesh breaking out just typing this :shock: ) as I approach the attic door I get this terrible feeling of fear. I know there's something awful up there waiting for me. I never get to open the door and go up even though I keep promising myself that next time I'll do it.

2, This one makes me wake up screaming! It's very early in the morning, around about 4 'o' clock I reckon and I'm walking down a deserted street, all the house lights ar off but the street lights are on. I stop in front of one of the houses and look at it. As I do so i become aware that someone is standing in one of the upper storey windows looking out at me, I look back at them and realise it's me! At which point I wake up with a yell and that awful feeling in the stomach when you get a huge adrenalin rush.

Comments?

There is a whole branch of psychology devoted to dreams. There are many theories about the role of symbolism in dreams.

My favourite theory is the simplest - that all dreams are about oneself.

According to this, a house represents one's own identity. There are dark cellars, crumbling brickwork, bright staircases, smoky chimneys, hidden attic rooms, peeling wallpaper, overgrown pathways, broken windows, mysterious annexes - whatever you might see in a dream-house.

All these features, according to the theory, are aspects of oneself. Only you know what what's in the attic! :shock:

My recurring dream is of a place I revisit and explore. It represents to me the way my life changes as I get older and try to make sense of new experiences.

I had the weirdest dream I've ever experienced the other night. It was fairly lengthy, but in short involved a curse placed on someone which, when lifted, allowed the person to change reality. They altered the world so that every house and all the landscape was made of bouncy foam. The last thing I remember is jumping backwards out the top floor of a foam house and landing on my back in a foam shed.

I had a dream the other night that really disturbed me.

I never have nightmares. I don`t have any dreams that I can recall feeling afraid in. But I do tend to have ones that give me a very odd feeling when I wake up, and I end up unable to stop thinking about them through the day, and I never forget them. This was one of those. If someone wants to pop up and analyze it for me, please do.

I was not myself. I was a young teenaged boy, and it seemed to be sometime in the past (30s? or around that. Radios, no televisions) For some reason, I was upset at my 2 younger sisters - I`d guess they were around 8 and 10. I yelled at them about something and they just laughed at me and sat down giggling on chairs in the corner of the room. My little brother - I`d guess 3 or 4 - was sitting on the floor playing with something. My character snapped, ran and got his father`s gun, and shot both of the girls. He didn`t look directly at them, he turned away when he fired the gun.
After they were silent, he/I dropped the gun, picked up the little boy and put him in his room, then dazedly went to bed. When I woke up, my mother and the police were there... My character did not think that it had been real. He thought that it had been a dream, that he`d wake up and it would have all been back to normal, but it wasn`t, and the police had heard the story from the little brother and were ready to arrest. My mother pleaded with them, because I was very sick, not criminal, and that she wouldn`t let me go anywhere until the trial at the least. She`d lost 2 already, and she didn`t want to lose another. They agreed on the condition that the youngest would stay somewhere else and that I couldn`t leave the house.

The sisters were left there, covered in sheets until everyone could gather for the funeral, and my mother made me look at them, that I had done that, etc. And I was sick, and just wanted it to disappear because I had never intended it to happen, and it was a mystery as to why I killed them. I went over and over everything that I had done that day, up until I shot them, trying to find what had triggered it, but it was a mystery. I would switch on the radio, to hear talk of the incident - all negative toward me of course, and my mother would lunge to turn it off, trying to go on as if it had never happened, even though my sisters were laid out in the other room for the wake that night.

Through the entire dream, I just had this horrible sense of bewilderment. I remembered killing them in a dreamlike way, and knew that I was guilty, but that it was not something I would ever have done normally. I really felt overwhelmed by the confusion as to why I would have killed them, and the strange sensation of my mother trying to shield me from the reality of my actions. And also the preoccupation with what would I do on Monday? School was on Monday, and I had to go, but now I couldn`t...

It was a very very strange dream. Like being guilty, but yet not really. It was also extremely real, and nothing was particularly dreamlike. Much like a very detailed memory.

escargot1 said:
There is a whole branch of psychology devoted to dreams. There are many theories about the role of symbolism in dreams.

My favourite theory is the simplest - that all dreams are about oneself.

According to this, a house represents one's own identity. There are dark cellars, crumbling brickwork, bright staircases, smoky chimneys, hidden attic rooms, peeling wallpaper, overgrown pathways, broken windows, mysterious annexes - whatever you might see in a dream-house.

All these features, according to the theory, are aspects of oneself. Only you know what what's in the attic! :shock:

My recurring dream is of a place I revisit and explore. It represents to me the way my life changes as I get older and try to make sense of new experiences.

I have read that too - I think it might have been Freud - or possibly many different ppl :D

I was under the impression the attic symbolised the mind/thought/consciousness.

I don't want to pry Tamyu but would you be the kind of person to have unpleasant memories, repressed memories - something that you know that you don't want to face up to?

Littlegreylady said:
I don't want to pry Tamyu but would you be the kind of person to have unpleasant memories, repressed memories - something that you know that you don't want to face up to?

Actually, not really. I didn`t have the greatest childhood, but nothing all that terrible. Certainly nothing repressed of that level. I`m pretty good at facing my problems, so I don`t imagine it has anything to do with that. I also am at a great period in my life - no real worries or doubts. (Obvious or under the surface!)

I`ve always had extremely memory-like dreams. Not every night, but I`d say every few months. They`re always in the past, and always very clear. I don`t forget them like I do any average dream... I can recall ones with great detail from back when I was very small, and certainly should NOT have been having that sort of dream content.

There are times that I wonder if perhaps they are glimpses of past lives, but there is no way to tell as most of them are a very long time ago. This most recent one set me on a mad search to see if any similar cases were documented - boy killing his younger sisters, etc - but I couldn`t find anything.

Mouldy13 said:
i have two recurring dreams which really scare me, so if any of you guys go in for a spot of analysis, analyze these.

1, I'm in a house, don't know where, and for some reason I have to go into the attic (gooseflesh breaking out just typing this :shock: ) as I approach the attic door I get this terrible feeling of fear. I know there's something awful up there waiting for me. I never get to open the door and go up even though I keep promising myself that next time I'll do it.

2, This one makes me wake up screaming! It's very early in the morning, around about 4 'o' clock I reckon and I'm walking down a deserted street, all the house lights ar off but the street lights are on. I stop in front of one of the houses and look at it. As I do so i become aware that someone is standing in one of the upper storey windows looking out at me, I look back at them and realise it's me! At which point I wake up with a yell and that awful feeling in the stomach when you get a huge adrenalin rush.

Comments?

I usually go by what was mentioned earlier. A house represents the body. That means the attic would be the head. If there is something scary behind the attic door, I'd think that it could be that there is something you don['t want to know inside your mind. The second dream just underlines this. Whatever it is, you shouldn't be too afraid of because whatever the scary thing is has to do with you. Maybe there is a side of you you'd rather not think about or on a positive side, maybe there is something that want's to come out and would make you feel better.

Mouldy13, As much as I think universal symbolism of dreams is a bit...let's say, tenuous, I have heard that many people have weird "house" dreams. I know I do. So perhaps there is some underlying reason/symbolism. I don't know. There, that was a pointless comment wasn't it? :D

tamyu, that is freaky.

My most frightening dreams are when I dream I am a man.
Why would my brain do that to me? WHY?

The most vivid strange dream I can recall is a very short one.
I woke up in the dark on the beach (in the dream lol) and I had no idea how I'd got there. It was cold, dark and I was quite close to the water line. The tide was coming in from what I could make out. (I recognise the beach as one I used to visit on my childhood holidays).
I looked back at the seawall and the steps up to the path, back to town and reality. There was a black figure waiting there, standing still in the dimness. It was all illuminated by moonlight as there were no streetlights nearby.
I knew that the figure was watching me and waiting for me to get up. I couldn't make myself go up there, but I knew the figure would pace me if I tried walking along the beach for another exit. I knew I couldn't stay where I was as the tide was coming in. More than anything, I wanted to lay back down and go back to sleep.
Then I woke up. It was very short but intense.

I have one recurring nightmare, which always gets me waking up screaming and sweating (not much fun for my Beloved...).

It starts with a forest, and a view through the trees of a soldier. No detail can be made out of the soldier, but I know he's very scared although he knows he's not alone - the rest of his group are somewhere nearby, and he's carrying a very old firearm - possibly a matchlock musket. In the dream he moves through the woodland, and the point of view of the dream tracks him from his left and slightly behind, gradually getting closer. After some time the soldier reaches a stream that he knows he must cross. As he enters the water the point of view has got closer, and now moves under the water, very close by. As the point of view erupts from the water in front of the soldier, the soldiers fear reaches its peak. It's at this point I realise that, although the soldier looks nothing like me he is actually me...

That's when the waking and the screaming begin...

thought I'd add my own recurring dreams to see if anyone else can relate-

First one - I like to call, the bad people are coming. I've had this since I was a child. I'm in a house - usually one of my past residences and I'm scrambling to hide & get things done before they come to kill me/us. Usually I'm with a group of people that I have to help hide or who help me hide. The bad people have been everything from gansters to aliens to a tornado. Always the same emotion - impending doom, unbelievable stress. Waking up exhausted.

Second one - this one has developed more recently. I'm going somewhere and the road become treacherous. Sometimes it's like a steep overpass or the top of a sky scraper and the path before me becomes destroyed. I'll be racing down the road and then the road just disappears. The other morning this dream manifested in my being on mass transit w/my family. (Who are split up in real life and would never be in the same place.) Looking out the window at the overpass, the road in front of us just crumbled away. Maybe an earthquake. Since we had no where to go & I wasn't driving, I had to just embrace the fact that I would die. And in my dream I was talking myself through the process of accepting this, trying to relax & breathing deeply. In my dream I was holding on to my father's hand, but as I went through this process I realized that even if you're with someone - dying is something that is an individual experience.

Needless to say, these dreams deal with extreme fear and in some ways reflect a crazy version of how I feel about my life from time to time.

Anyone relate?

jouweleen said:
First one - I like to call, the bad people are coming. I've had this since I was a child. I'm in a house - usually one of my past residences and I'm scrambling to hide & get things done before they come to kill me/us. Usually I'm with a group of people that I have to help hide or who help me hide. The bad people have been everything from gansters to aliens to a tornado. Always the same emotion - impending doom, unbelievable stress. Waking up exhausted.

i get this one fairly regularly. usually its in this one particular, kinda dilapidated and absolutely HUGE house, which doesnt and probably couldnt exist in real life. me and the people im sometimes with have to hide because, as you say, the bad people are coming. usually for me its somekind of terrible lovecraftian creature, or a jason vorhees type killer. and usually they get into the house and theres a mad dash through all sort of endless hallways and interweaving rooms to get away. theyre not pleasant dreams, but what really creeps me out is that its always the same freaky house.

I had a really strange dream the other night, I was at home (but it was different to my home if you get my drift) I could hear noise outside and the security light came on (the noise was distorted like people shouting and music playing)
Anyway I decided to go outside and look to see what the problem was, I remember feeling scared but still going out anyway.
Then the dream jumped and I was stood outside a house that was nothing like my own on a long grassy garden facing a house that was elovated from the garden, and there were two security lights beaming light in my direction. I remember looking up towards the house and the lights going off, I felt like I was sinking down into the grass and it was so dark I could not see anything. I remember thinking that I had on a white night gown and was worried it would become dirty and I began to fight to get back up.
At this point in the dream I felt like someone had one of those two pronged pitchforks round my neck and they were pushing down onto my neck getting tighter and tighter.. At this point I woke up gasping and making a moaning sound with my hands round my neck :shock: I had to get up and put the hallway light on :oops: The other half did a bit of grumbling at this point that I was infact a big baby :cry: and that I was keeping him awake..
Now if anyone can analyse that for me please do so :?:

You feel observed and are being "dragged down" by someone/something, which also seems to stifle you.

Thanks, that actually could be a few factors in my life at the moment..just need to pinpoint the one that's disturbing my sleep so much :cry:

Like Tamyu, I can remember certain dreams from early childhood which remain quite clear and which (unlike ordinary dreams) I've never forgotten. There's no effort involved. They're as much a part of my memory as are real life events. So, again like Tamyu, I'm forced to consider that they may be past-life memories (although I'm unsure if I believe in past lives).

Some dreams have a different quality to that of ordinary dreams. They stay in the mind in the manner of a real-life event that's really been experienced and leave me feeing very fragile and in a state of shock, I suppose you'd call it, the way an upsetting real life event would. Takes a bit of recovering from and takes a while to regain my usual equilibrium.

It's a bit hard to know, with dreams. Sometimes I have precognitive dreams. They're accurate. Then there are the 'real but can't really be real ' ones, even though they feel as if I've actually lived the experience. Then there are ordinary ones. Then there are the 'learning-message' dreams. Since I've begun staying up until dawn on internet though, I rarely remember my dreams. It's only when something happens the next day, that I'll remember the same event from a dream I had the night before.

My brain's pretty scrambled these days because of the idiotic sleep patterns I've established, but I remember when I used to think clearly and a lot deeper than I do now about all this, that I reached the conclusion that some of my dreams are things I'm picking up from other people's real lives -- similar to tuning into the radio or tv. And of course, those who subscribe to the holographic universe theory would tell me this is entirely possible, particularly if you're the sort of person who has accurate precognitive dreams -- which really is nothing more complicated than tuning into future events (even though my precognitive dreams are usually about other people or mundane events).

The dreams I most enjoy, despite the fact they're unsettling as a rule, involve a place I go to when I'm asleep. It looks like this world and the people look like normal people, but the atmosphere is different to anything i've experienced in reality -- impossible to describe, but when I wake up I'm homesick for this place, wherever it is, even though at the same time it's a bit disturbing, weird. The people in these dreams know something I don't. I'm a newcomer there, or out-of-place might be a better description. No, a better description would be to say that they are very familiar in the dream environment, in the place in which the dreams are set -- whereas I'm out of my element there; it's not a place I ordinarily live in. But somehow, I get there in the dreams. And I tag along with them, and they put up with me, the way older children tolerate a younger child who insists on tagging along. And like older children with a younger child, these dream-people sometimes seem a bit cruel, because it amuses them, seeing me attempting to grasp and understand the situation. It's as if I've dropped in on them out of the blue, and they find it interesting to see my reactions.

They tell me things, show me things, teach me things. I know this when I awake, but I can't remember what it is that they've taught me. So I guess it's stored away somewhere and there must be a reason for it.

One of the best things about these particular dreams is the total lack of ego I experience when I'm there. It's like being stripped of all defences and shields and protective mechanisms. It's so nice and relaxing, just being your basic, authentic self. This has the effect of making you 'feel like yourself', yet different. It makes everything seem very clear and light. Everything's very truthful there. The people there make no effort at pretence. If I fail to do something that they are all able to do with ease, they simply watch me struggle with it. They don't help. But they don't judge either. They don't care if I can't keep up with them. They just leave me and go on ahead. They all get on well together. I wander around, sometimes I try all through the dream trying to succeed at one simple thing and still I don't manage it. They're always on an even keel and always seem very contented and relaxed. I love it there, even though I'm not one of them. I really miss it sometimes, with the kind of homesickness you feel for someplace you know very well and really love. I'll have to start getting regular sleep, and then maybe I'll begin having normal sleep and dreaming patterns so I can go back there. I'd love to know where it is.

Other dreams I've had (though not many) seem (when I wake up and it hits me) as if I must be a ghost, sometimes. In one, I hovered. I wasn't aware I was a person. I just hovered in what looked like (afterwards, when I thought about it) a Victorian entry parlour. Everything was dark old fashioned wood. And I was hovering in the dimness, to one side of a hallstand. That was the entire thing. But it's such a precious dream/memory, because of the heavy stillness and the feeling of contentment it gave me. It's stuff like that which inclines me to half believe we may have lived previous lives.

Sometimes, in the middle of an ordinary day, I suddenly find myself wondering if I really do exist, or if this life is an imagining or memory. It sounds pretentious, put that way, but when it occurs (glancing sight of myself in a mirror sometimes triggers it) it causes me to question what I ordinarily regard as reality. After all, how do we know we're Really Here? The slightest shift in perception can create doubt for which there's no actual answer. It fades in an instant and then I think to myself what an idiot i am and then I get on with whatever it is I happen to be doing. But, really, does it matter if we're actually Alive or Here? Would it make any difference if we discovered our lives are an illusion? I don't think it would. And I suspect that dreams are only a hair's-breadth from what we assume to be Reality. The veil between Dream and Reality may not be anywhere near the Great Divide or Separation that we imagine. Dream and Reality may even be superimposed. Interesting.

Back