• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Schadenfreude: Taking Pleasure In Others' Misfortunes

Blinko_Glick

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My current trend of insomnia between the hours of 2.00am & 6.00am has led me to become a fan of a superb piece of entertainment: The Fist of Zen.

In this 'game show' contestants have to suffer painful & humiliating tests to win a series of £100 prizes but have to remain absolutely silent.

I find it absolutely hilarious, but i can't help but wonder why seeing other people suffer is so entertaining?

jackass, dirty sanchez even eastenders - why do we love watching the misery of others so much?

Is it simply the satisfaction that we aren't suffering as much?

About ten minutes ago I was thinking the same thing.

Britain's Got Talent is also 'Schadenfreude TV', at least at the start it is.

I hate to say it, but I only watch it for the 'funny' ones. My Mrs literally shields her eyes and can't watch if it's an elderly person or clearly mentally challenged individual singing or dancing badly.

We love the misery of others because its of others and not ourselves.

How many more years till we have our own version of 'The Running Man' on TV?

I love Fist of Zen too!

It's often been suggested that humour allows us to express aggression covertly - and because society frustrates a good part of our wishes, most of us have a good amount of aggression to express. Whatever weight you give to that, I think there are three things that make Fist of Zen particularly funny:

1) No-one gets seriously hurt. The pain is momentary and leaves no lasting injury. We'd stop laughing if the contestants started bleeding.

2) The rituals include elements which are incongruous and therefore silly - like, getting snapped in the nipple by oversized red rubber suspenders. If it was the same, non-silly penalty again and again - like, a cane across the knuckles - we'd stop laughing.

3) The contestants have to stay quiet. That adds tension, which gets released as laughter. If the contestants were free to make as much noise in the world, we wouldn't be laughing as much.

Is it any worse than Endurance? I remember that being quite stonkingly unpleasant, almost psychopathically so at times. And rather perverse too.

I think it's all unwatchable, sadomasochistic, crap, to be honest. There's no doubt, in my mind, that there's a strong element of homo-erotic, sadomasochism, in programmes like 'Jackass', too.

But, that's just my opinion, of course. ;)

BlackRiverFalls said:
Is it any worse than Endurance?
I've never seen Endurance. I've never watched Fear Factor or Solitary, either, because the promos look, as you put it, "quite stonkingly unpleasant, almost psychopathically so". I've seen a little of Jackass, and it struck me as plain stupid. The pain and discomfort seem to outweigh the silliness in those three shows, whereas in Fist of Zen, it's the other way around.

Pietro, I'd agree there's sadism involved, in line with aggression being expressed covertly as laughter at another's (minor) pain.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Is it any worse than Endurance? I remember that being quite stonkingly unpleasant, almost psychopathically so at times. And rather perverse too.
Extremely Japanese all round. Watching that, an entirely voluntary gameshow, suddenly the privations of the Burma railway started to make sense. IIRC the prize money wasn't that great, it was all about honour, glory, and the Samauri spirit. Though I don't recall Samauri ever going through the following, which may offend some sensibilities, so be warned.

Ready?

OK. The one I remember most involved blokes being held upside down against a hot wall whilst hot fine sand was being tipped over them, and then magnifying glasses were concentrating the sun's rays onto their nipples.

I thought that general consensus of psychologists etc was that humans were fascinated by disasters and accidents because they subconsciously seek to find out how to avoid them, and that this was meant to be the reason why children and teenagers are so interested in programmes like tom&jerry, jackass etc.

I did hear an interview not long ago on the World Service with a crime writer whose predominantly middle aged, female readers asked for more kinky sex and gore in her books, a fascination which she put down to them being 'oppressed' and wanting to see 'demon males' apprehended! Given there are a whole lots of oppressor groups around, one wonders why the phenomenon hasn't been replicated as widely in other contexts...

Abendstern said:
...this was meant to be the reason why children and teenagers are so interested in programmes like tom&jerry, jackass etc.
I think the younger the child, the less likely they are to have well-developed empathy. My four-year-old son laughs himself silly when I stub my toe; to him, it's slapstick. He's still learning to say sorry when he does things that hurt others. He understands when others are upset, but he doesn't understand very well when others are in pain.

Plus he likes Jerry because they're both little.

OK. The one I remember most involved blokes being held upside down against a hot wall whilst hot fine sand was being tipped over them, and then magnifying glasses were concentrating the sun's rays onto their nipples.

Funnily enough that was one of the bits i was thinking of, as i recall it, the contestants were staked out in the desert while boy scouts used the mangifying glasses on their nipples and twanged them with corks attached to elastic bands. I can't help thiking that if you did that over herem you'd be sharing a cell with messers glitter and king pretty quickly.

I think the worst was the one where the contestants were shown a trial run of what they had to do, there was a dummy on a wooden cart that was covered in petrol and then the cart went along a track through a fiery hoop where it went up in flames. When they actually got on the cart, fake petrol was tipped over them, but they didn;t know that :(

I've never watched Fear Factor or Solitary, either

It's been a few years since i saw Fear Factor but mostly i don;t recall it being that bad. Apart from maybe the time they had to eat live cockroaches. Most of the stuff on it seemed scary but otherwise reasonably safe.

BlackRiverFalls said:
...the contestants were staked out in the desert while boy scouts used the mangifying glasses on their nipples and twanged them with corks attached to elastic bands.
Your description got a laugh out of me. :)

BlackRiverFalls said:
When they actually got on the cart, fake petrol was tipped over them, but they didn;t know that :(
Yes, that's cruel. I'm frowning only mildly, though, because the contestants underwent it voluntarily, and were interpersonally competitive and so probably would have bragged about it afterwards.

I think we once had another Schadenfreud thread which can no longer be found.

But it's not usually about physical pain, but relishing the humiliation or embarassesment of others. Especially when they deserve it!

Most football fans are in for a treat shortly on MotD, (BBC1 1030 pm) when a once major Premier League team, that lorded it over the whole league for years, got a huge come-uppance in a game they were winning! :twisted:

(Hurry! I think that will be the first game shown.)

In 2009 said:
..How many more years till we have our own version of 'The Running Man' on TV?
Five.

Release the Hounds is (apparently, though I missed it first time round) back.
.. The show sees three unsuspecting contestants enter a huge forest at dusk, in a quest to unlock chests full of prize money. The not so fearless friends will have all responded to an advert to win money – but little do they know, in order to win big, they must face some of the scariest challenges ever endured on TV.

Host Reggie Yates is their communication from outside the forest and he’ll follow the contestants’ progress throughout their fright night ordeal.

To locate the keys, the friends must all take part in a variety of horror themed mental and physical tests that will truly aim to push them to the limit. But the ultimate challenge for them is to out-run a pack of dogs, trained to guard the cash. If they manage to escape the hounds, the money belongs to them. If they don’t….

The new series will include terrifying challenges such as a phone booth that floods once you’re locked inside, a giant jack in the box with a twist, a clown with a sinister balloon obsession and an ice-cream van that dispenses much more than lolly-pops.
Not too far off, and the climax is pure "Climbing For Dollars".

Yup, where's our Schadenfreude thread?

Just now I heard that Max Clifford's appeal has failed. Good, I thought, rot in prison, you creep!

Then the announcer mentioned that Clifford died last year or sometime, I don't really care as I despise/despised him.

What a waste of perfectly good schadenfreude.

Carcinogenicalicious! At least it wasn't on their meat and two veg.

I think Endurance and their ilk are fine (that thing above aside) as they are willing contestants going to be tortured, doubly so with any "celebrity" thing, you're that desperate to milk/regain/expand your "fame"? Fuck you. Likewise Dirty Sanchez, Jackass all men have those self destructive impulses and in the absence of megafauna and not so mega fauna to hunt, some are going to indulge in such stuff, look at blokes on stag does, or preferably, don't.

I'm in two minds over much of the pandemic that is "reality TV" I've been waiting for it die for the best part of twenty years and at the moment it looks like it might outlive us all. I used to enjoy laughing at the shit auditions and the delusions of some competitors, certainly I got no entertainment from watching the "normal" auditions; where inane people who were competent to good are singing inane songs in an inane manner. I can't watch the crapshoots any more, mainly because ultimately people are being exploited, it's the modern equivalent to paying a ha'penny to laugh at and torment the inmates in Bedlam. Same goes, though to a lesser extent for the bear baiting that is Jeremy Kyle.

Yes, people do indeed sign up for these things and they've been around long enough for people to know what to "expect", it's just there's no level playing field and plenty of people simply don't have the judgement to make the decision, no, we can't have a "nanny state" situation where decisions are made for people, other than in the most extreme situations - adults with the mental age of children or severe mental health issues. There are accounts where some auditioners were pestered into being on and plenty of people are: mentally unwell, at least moderately stupid, lonely/socially isolated and frankly, vulnerable to this sort of thing. I'd imagine at least those one of descriptors apply to most or all of those shitty, pointless auditions.

The shows deliberately cultivate those too, a friend went to the first round of auditions for Australian Idol, when the programme was new. She's in the "much better than the average person but not at the top" type category vocally and average looking, the auditions took place outside with backstage staff assessing people, they only let the top and bottom few percent through. The bottom few clearly there to be mocked.

I'm generally schadenfreude-irrific but have to draw the line somewhere. I see that someone who was on Love Island (possibly the worst reality TV show of all time) killed themselves recently, I'm surprised there haven't been more suicides frankly and I'm surprised there haven't been more "life after reality TV" type exposes.

I'm surprised there haven't been more suicides frankly and I'm surprised there haven't been more "life after reality TV" type exposes.
I suspect that for most there is just a long slide into grim illusion shattering reality. Such a show would do little to assist with the promotion of 'new' reality TV shows, once they are shown to have a negative impact on the majority of the participants, never mind the impact on the recruitment of the starry-eyed naifs required for new 'programs'.

I suspect you wouldn't be allowed to run a psychology experiment using the ethics of a reality TV show.

I suspect that for most there is just a long slide into grim illusion shattering reality. Such a show would do little to assist with the promotion of 'new' reality TV shows, once they are shown to have a negative impact on the majority of the participants, never mind the impact on the recruitment of the starry-eyed naifs required for new 'programs'.

I suspect you wouldn't be allowed to run a psychology experiment using the ethics of a reality TV show.

I suspect the bottom line and potential legal repercussions are the reasons we haven't seen more. However, "the media" even "the MSM" isn't one entity and they don't all act in unison. I have seen brief interviews with former BB "stars" saying how disillusioned they were with it afterwards and the negative impacts in terms of constantly being recognised, one guy was recognised while they were filming; he pointed out how fake it was such as an argument he was part of whilst in the house was edited to make him look better and the other party worse. Not news to the likes of us but that may be a revelation to some viewers.

Boarded the train home tonight and just before it pulled out of Liverpool Street an oik got on, sat in the first class section, which was open to the rest of the carriage, then proceeded to play something akin to music at maximum volume, much to the annoyance of everyone else within earshot.
I must admit I took great pleasure when two inspectors got on, barked at him to turn the noise down then fined him on top of making him pay the difference between the first class and second class fare between London and Witham. I doubt he got any change out of £60.

A couple of years ago waiting for an evening train to set off from Preston to Leyland. One drunk was stood with one foot on the platform and one on the train, not letting it go. This was because his equally pissed mate was over the bridge and he didn't want the train to go until he had staggered over.

It was rather satisfying when, after telling the guard to eff off, he was arrested by the British Transport Police.

Schadenfreude is a very British phenomena I feel.

Back