• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Dunno if this has been posted here already, but here is Lawrence Wright's notorious article about Scientology, Paul Haggis and others that appeared in The New Yorker magazine in 2011. (it's the most read article on their website, BTW) It was sort of the seed of "Going Clear".
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/02/14/the-apostate-3

The church may be in decline, but they've really bumped up their advertising lately. Last night my son noticed that a TV ad advocating temperance was sponsored by the Way To Happiness foundation. As he said - "I have nothing against temperance, but I'm not willing to trust anything L Ron Hubbard has to say about it." Good boy. :)

Last edited:
According to the Wright book, they're spending money like water, more than they're generating in donations. They can't go on like that forever. As for their drug and alcohol programmes, I'd be wary of anything that has such a big clause in its contract, i.e. you have to spend most of your income on their teachings and even then it's doubtful you'll be cured. At least with AA you don't have to believe in any God for it to work.

"to illicit sympathy" :D

Interesting that according to the book, Scientologists brought up in the cult have very poor education, so presumably this hapless Sea Org drone in charge of the trolling account keeps making errors because they really don't know any better. Illicit sympathy might be the best they can get (!).

Saturday Night Live mocked Scientology with a skit the other night. It's almost a direct take-off of the "we stand tall" Scientology video and they hardly even tried to hide the target of their satire.(Calling it neurotology and diametrics was about as far away as it gets) This is telling, IMO. It looks like no one (on the outside of the church, anyway) is afraid of the repercussions any more.

Here's the video:

Pretty funny for SNL! I guess they were watching that Going Clear doc as well? I don't think it's allowed to be broadcast in the UK (or Canada).

If you've ever watched a movie called Bowfinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowfinger) with Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin, Murphy plays an actor who's a member of a thinly veiled Scientology type organization, with a plot that relies on the organizations beliefs.

And the organisation in Bowfinger seems more sensible than the real thing, in spite of being a parody.

Check this out: from the Los Angeles Times
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-scientology-private-eyes-20150409-story.html#page=1

Scientology head's father was spied on, police report says

For 18 months private detectives tracked every move made by the father of David Miscavige, leader of the Church of Scientology, as they eavesdropped, spied on his emails and planted a GPS unit on his car, according to police records.
The surveillance of Ronald Miscavige Sr., a longtime Scientologist who had recently parted ways with the church, was described by Florida private eye Dwayne S. Powell, after he was arrested in July 2013 near Milwaukee with two rifles, four handguns, 2,000 rounds of ammunition and a homemade silencer in his rented SUV.

While the use of private investigators by the church is nothing new, I was highly disturbed to learn the number of weapons/ammunition the PI was carrying at the time of his arrest. That seems different from usual pattern. Bit chilling, if you ask me.

They should get a showing of Alex Gibney's documentary (based on the bestselling book) Going Clear, which has turned into a real headache for Scientology. I have the book and will be reading it next.

Short but interesting article on what happens if you review the film:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwi...sentatives-now-bullying-film-critics-20150202
Listening to the Audio book at the moment. Just got to the bit where Miscavige pulls off a coup to take over the church.

I read Bare Faced Messiah years ago, and this is an interesting companion to that. Going Clear is a good look at the way the church operates, and glosses over some of the details of Hubbard's life, while BFM is more about Hubbard himself.

It's also got me wanting to go back and look at the Babalon Working, and possibly reread Sex and Rockets.

I've finished reading Lawrence Wright's Scientology expose Going Clear. I thought I had a pretty good idea of the terrors of that organisation, but on just about every page there was a human rights abuse, mental and physical torture, conspiracy, bigotry and so on that took me aback. Thank goodness it seems to be going into decline, it's ironic that a course of psychiatry could really help a lot of Scientologists, especially David Miscavige, their sinister leader. Also: Paul Haggis, what a hero. And Tom Cruise, what a creep.
The early stuff about Miscavige is scary. He should have been in some kind of youth programme.

Also, I noticed it was kind of forthright in discussing a certain actor's sexuality. (The taller one with the planes, I haven't got to that other one yet.) I mean, it's been a fairly open secret, but very few people say anything publicly. In the book, it's just mentioned as both a potential threat to the church, and possible leverage over him.

Check this out: from the Los Angeles Times
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-scientology-private-eyes-20150409-story.html#page=1

While the use of private investigators by the church is nothing new, I was highly disturbed to learn the number of weapons/ammunition the PI was carrying at the time of his arrest. That seems different from usual pattern. Bit chilling, if you ask me.

As they get more desperate they will resort to even more extreme actions.

Do you really want to encourage another one?

Well, Saturday afternoon, we watched the Going Clear documentary. Lucky they happened to be playing it during free HBO weekend. (Well, it probably wasn't luck so much as a sure-fire way to pull in more subscribers. But whatever the case...)

While my husband really liked it, my feelings about it were mixed. Here is my rather rambling take on it (if anyone cares)

It was very professionally done. Great film quality. There were a lot of good interviews, and I was especially glad to see Hana Whitfield, among others. Unfortunately, some of the more interesting parts of their stories were left out - though of course time constraints would have been an issue.

Gibney had managed to track down some quotes from Sara Northrup (Hubbard's second wife, the girl whose affections he stole from Jack Parsons) and also had some freaky film footage of Northrup and Jack Parsons which I'd never seen before . However, the documentary failed to mention that Hubbard was already married with children by that time and was committing bigamy at that point. It did give some small amount of information about Hubbard's time in Cuba, after he'd taken his and Northrup's daughter. That was new.

This omission of Hubbard's bigamy (as well as some other odd omissions) made me raise my eyebrows a bit, and made me wonder if Gibney was skirting certain issues for legal reasons, rather than simply time constraints.*

Also impressive was the inclusion of the film of David Miscavige's speech when he announced that L .Ron had gone "exterior" to do research, ie died. I'd often heard of this speech but never seen it. I was also glad to see more footage and photographs of Marty Rathbun as the fearsome, cold-eyed "inspector general" of the church, as opposed to only the "nice guy" image he presents today.

Also, regarding Marty, I do believe he was (again) dissembling about the scheme to gain IRS tax exemption. Not that I blame him for not admitting more than he has to, but the true story of how that exemption was gained is pretty much the holy grail of the anti-Scientology movement. The bit of the story he told was probably factual, mind, I'm just saying it probably doesn't even scratch the surface.

There were mentions of The Hole, the musical chairs incident, etc. Lots about Tom Cruise, yada yada, but no mention of Operation Snow White, which was a shocking omission, IMO. (you'd think the tale of a government infiltration would weigh a little heavier than finding a girlfriend for Tom Cruise, but I suppose this is television, after all.) No mention of Lisa McPherson and the "introspection rundown" either.

The biggest flaw in the documentary, to me, though, was that it didn't really give a good impression of why someone would join Scientology in the first place, why it can be so compelling. It just seemed like some weirdness that no one would touch with a ten-foot pole. I'm not sure what Gibney's aim was in telling the story, however. Perhaps he didn't want to show the compelling side of it.

tl;dr version:

Worth watching, nice visuals, a fair primer on Scientology and the effects it's had on some members. However, a person who wants a real grasp on the subject would do better to watch the videos made by Sheila Huber, Tori Chistman, Hana Whitfield, Arnie Lerma, Rathbun and Rinder, et al.

*Afterwards, I spoke to someone who was involved with the film, and have even more reason to believe this is true. The filmmaker must have been very careful in what he included and how, and this may be why the COS hasn't sued...yet, anyway. (I don't know this for sure, only making an educated guess - so don't quote me on that. ;) )

Pretty extraordinary Operation Snow White wasn't mentioned, one of the biggest criminal acts against the US Government in its history, but as you say, they must have been careful about what they included. On the other hand, I have watched a doc in the UK about the cult that I'm fairly sure mentioned it. Legal loopholes can be very strange - could the Mafia manage to get all critical mentions of it in the media banned, for example? It's the same sort of thing.

Then again there's only so much they could include in the time allotted. If it gets people talking, and gets more copies of the source book read, then it's done its job, I'd say.

Gibney had managed to track down some quotes from Sara Northrup (Hubbard's second wife, the girl whose affections he stole from Jack Parsons) and also had some freaky film footage of Northrup and Jack Parsons which I'd never seen before . However, the documentary failed to mention that Hubbard was already married with children by that time and was committing bigamy at that point. It did give some small amount of information about Hubbard's time in Cuba, after he'd taken his and Northrup's daughter. That was new.
Pretty extraordinary Operation Snow White wasn't mentioned, one of the biggest criminal acts against the US Government in its history, but as you say, they must have been careful about what they included. On the other hand, I have watched a doc in the UK about the cult that I'm fairly sure mentioned it. Legal loopholes can be very strange - could the Mafia manage to get all critical mentions of it in the media banned, for example? It's the same sort of thing.
Both the bigamy, and Operation Snow White are covered extensively in the book. I suspect that the main reason for not going into too much detail was the time constraint, but there may have also been some concerns about legal action from the church.

Hopefully they'll be eaten by Yetis.

Scientologists profess a range of supernatural powers. They claim the ability to turn drunk people sober in minutes. A Scientologist can heal the traumatized, so they say, simply by reconnecting a victim’s body with a “thetan,” or immortal spirit.

None of this is backed by medical science. But that hasn’t stopped Scientologists from flying to Nepal — alongside many other religious and spiritual groups — to practice dubious healing techniques on grieving earthquake survivors.

The Nepalese are still reeling from an earthquake that took more than 8,000 lives and left much of the country in ruins. Roads are split in half, towns are reduced to rubble and bodies are buried deep in piles of debris. ...

http://www.globalpost.com/article/6...ologists-are-nepal-trying-heal-trauma-victims

Last edited:
In the past the NOI has forged links with US Nazis and the BNP. There is no unlikely bed fellow for them.

Fair point. As a lot of the commentors on the blog post point out, these organisations will do whatever it takes to advance themselves. At least the US Nazis and the BNP share some of the NOI's beliefs (up to a point) though. The NOI throwing itself heart and soul into dianetics is a bit of a head-scratcher in my opinion though.

Being cynical, I'd say that the COS are probably just glad to get anyone interested and that the NOS is probably just adopting a successful strategy from a similar organisation, but I'm not sure that's the whole story. As the blog points out, (and Rinder knows that better than anyone), these organisations are not purely motivated by material gain. There's a lot of genuine fanatical belief in the cause there too.

Technically, both NOI and Scientology are considered UFO religions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_religion

The COS has found quite a market for their E-meters and auditor training services in the NOI these last few years. This was surprising at first, much less so as I dug into it a bit. Now I'm surprised such an alliance didn't happen sooner.

Follow the money, too. Lots of potential financial profits.

Back